NWT most accurate?

by karvel 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• karvel
    karvel

alt

bitch, puh-leaze!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Jason BeDuhn's book has been discussed a number of times on this forum in the past few months. Here's one of the last threads on his work.

What I find noteworthy in this otherwise unsurprising WT article is that it doesn't mention the title of BeDuhn's book -- afraid that JWs might find out what the author disagrees with? (E.g., the substitution of "Jehovah" to "Lord" in the N.T.)

• Honesty
    Honesty

When you go shopping for a new car do you believe everything the salesman tells you or do you check the product through CONSUMER REPORTS?

JWD is CONSUMER REPORTS for the Watchtower Society.

That's why they wish our presses would be permanently shut down.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is blatantly obvious that the same crooked organization that created the New World Translation also created this article since the font and formate exactly match the Puketower. I also noticed that there were no sources that I could look up on my search engine, and that the writers were anonymous. I am willing to bet that one of the major reasons why they are anonymous is that they are embarrassed that someone might notice that they lack any knowledge in the languages of the Bible.

This is like Ford telling me that Ford products are the best on the planet. And having literature that is produced by Ford is supposed to tell me that the other products are defective and only Ford products are any good. Would Ford tell you that Toyota or Honda products are better, even if it was the truth? Hell, no. Ford would tell what they want people to hear in order to enrich Ford. Never mind that an independent source, or multiple independent sources, would tell you that Toyotas and Hondas are more reliable and get better mileage (and last longer) than a typical Ford.

By the same token, I would not expect the Watchtower Society to have anything good to say about the King James version. While that is not perfect (I never saw the originals, nor am I qualified to interpret it as I have no working knowledge of Hebrew or Greek), the King James version is most widely accepted as the standard. It is certainly one of the oldest common translations, and it has endured the test of time. I believe that it was put out by an unbiased committee to get the Bible into the hands of the common people (and anyone to do additional research on it, or that knows more about the King James version, can further back it up). What I do know is that I have nothing to gain or lose either way, and that I have seen from sources (that can be verified on any search engine or at Freeminds) that the New World Translation has been deliberately altered to fit the Watchtower doctrines. So much for accuracy.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And if you still think the NWT is accurate because they put in specious sources, then I suggest a Google search on Dr Benjamin Kedar, the one source they quoted. They claim that he found no bias at all. But more likely you will be taken to a page on TowerWatch at www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/New_World_Translation/examining_translations.htm . I suggest reading the page that comes up in the window (assuming it's not the Error: Page Cannot Be Found page). It has some damning information about the New World Translation, and gives you three recommended and time-honored translations to use instead (yes, the King James version is one of them).

• Rooster
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The New World Translation aims for a literal rendering of the original-language text whenever such a rendering would not hide it's meaning. The translators seek to make the Bible as understandable to readers today as the original text was to readers in Bible times.

Here's some cult language added:

The New World Translation aims for a literal rendering of the original-language text whenever such a rendering would not hide it's meaning- "MEANING" IS DEFINED BY THE ANONYMOUS COMMITTEE THAT DISCOURAGES YOU FROM CHECKING ON THEIR UNDERSTANDING OF THINGS. THEY MAKE EXCEPTIONS AS NEEDED TO PROMOTE THEIR UNDERSTANDING. COMPARISON TO OTHER BIBLES IS UNNECESSARY AS WE HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT. The translators seek to make the Bible as understandable to readers today as the original text was to readers in Bible times WHEN THERE WERE NOT COPIES FOR EVERYONE, SO THEY WERE UNABLE TO RESEARCH THE CORRECT INTERPRETATION OF THINGS READ TO THEM.
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

Jeez, what is the date of this item? How ironic it is that the Sept. KM blasted those having a "study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation." They essentially want us to take BeDuhn's word for it. This is nothing more than a bald appeal to authority without divulging the relevant facts and evidence. An appeal to authority is fine if it is presenting a scholar's arguments and assessing the acceptance and credibility of those views, but not as a surrogate for such a discussion. The Society wants its readers to accept the appeal at face value and deny its readers the ability to assess it on their own terms.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

This isn't the first time the org have used alleged quotations from bible
    scholars to support the NWT. They published a statement some years
    ago implying that Dr. Julius Mantey supported it, but this is what he really
    said, among other things

What Mantey has said about the New World Translation:

• "Well, as a backdrop, I was disturbed because they (Watchtower) had misquoted me in support of their translation. " (These words were excerpted from the tape, "Martin and Julius Mantey on The New World Translation" )

• Dr. Julius Mantey, author of A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament, calls the NWT "a shocking mistranslation." "Obsolete and incorrect." "It is neither scholarly nor reasonable to translate John 1:1 'The Word was a god.'"

http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/New_World_Translation/mantey_comments.htm

The watchtower are well known for misquoting experts to back up their claims.
    They are hardly going to tell jws to read other translations, but that's no excuse
    for their dishonesty in eliciting support for theirs.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

tut tut tut What shall I do with you lot?

It goes like this.

1. I have a set of beliefs that are unlike what other "Christians" believe.
    2. If I use "their" Bible no one will understand my set of beliefs.
    3. Therefore I rewrite the Bible so that it says what I need it to say so I can convince other people that:
      1. I alone have the TRUTH
      2. My Bible supports my belief
      3. therefore I can prove I alone have the TRUTH
      4. and because I use the Bible to explain all of my beliefs it must therefore meanthat my beliefs are the TRUTH

I could go on and on but I'm sure you will see the truth of my logic because I wrote typed it all down for you to read.

Very convenient that they rewrote the Bible so that it says what they want it to say

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit