careers and job positions JWs are not allowed to have

by tula 47 Replies latest jw friends

• eclipse
    eclipse

Where is that thread on the past summer convention where that speaker called anyone who was getting a degree, D.E.A.D.

Nooo, they don't look down on college / university...

Hands cover eyes, hands cover ears, hands cover mouth.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Harleau- you're joking , right?? No seriously? Tell us more please.

• tula
    tula

I think I see why art might be banned as career.

Christ as dog sculpture aims to provoke debate in Sweden

A Swedish artist unveiled Tuesday a sculpture depicting Christ as a well-endowed dog, saying he wanted to stimulate debate about religion and freedom of expression in the wake of a row over cartoons of the prophet Mohammed, Swedish media reported.

The artwork showed Jesus as a dog with a bloodstained head under a crown of thorns and an "enormous sexual organ", according to Swedish press agency TT.

However, within hours of the sculpture being installed on a roundabout in Skaanes Fagerhult, a town in the south of Sweden, it disappeared.

"I want religion to stop taking society and the vulnerable for idiots," the 59-year-old artist, Stig Ramsing, told the online version of Helsingborgs Dagblad newspaper.

In Nordic countries the display of outlandish sculptures of dogs on roundabouts is a familiar art form which has become common in the past decade.

"It is my turn to follow [artist] Lars Vilks and provoke a sensible discussion about religion," Ramsing added.

Vilks is the Swedish artist whose cartoon of the prophet Mohammed with a dog's body published in the Swedish press this summer triggered massive controversy both in Sweden and abroad.

Sweden saw protests against Vilks' cartoon, while Egypt, Iran and Pakistan made diplomatic protests about the image. Death threats were also made against both Vilks and the editor of the newspaper which published the satirical cartoon.

I think I see why art might be banned as career.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are quite a few others. Try computer programming or Web security, and they will claim "What if you get a military contract?" And you wouldn't want to do anything that would make Satan's Internet a safer place to use.

Identity theft counselor? That is one profession that doesn't involve shootings, because you are more repairing credit histories of people that have been victimized, and securing things to prevent identity theft. You are also stealing time away from field circus, and anything that has to do with law enforcement might "stumble" someone, even if it never uses deadly force. Again, it might make Satan's Internet safer.

Doctors are condemned because they are "stealing" from Jehovah by spending so much time in their profession that they have little left for field circus and are missing many meetings. They "forget" that Luke, one of the Bible writers and disciple of Christ, was in fact a doctor.

Computer repairman. This supports that evil Internet. Anything that involves repairing or debugging computers makes it that much easier to use Satan's Internet. And if you are a designer of anti-spyware software, you are especially guilty. And the ultimate would be the ones that provide Internet service or work for a company that provides that service. Maintaining parts of the Web or networks of servers also supports Satan's Internet.

Any job where lots of traveling is involved. That makes it harder for the hounders to keep track of you, plus you miss too many meetings and field circus and no one thinks of hounding you because they don't know where you are at any given time.

Astronomy. The jobs on the ground all take time away from field circus, plus you have to think when you get the results from telescopes. Anyone thinking with a Jehovah bias makes a poor astronomer because they would not see a truth that clashes with creation. Those who actually go into space risk their lives, and they cannot be at the meetings or out in field circus while up in space working on a weather satellite or space station that could save lives down the road.

Explorers. People working in the mountains, jungles, or other inaccessible places miss meetings and field circus. Rarely are there settlements, and unless you are specifically there to spread the cancer in those settlements, you have no business being there. If you are exploring a desert or ice sheet for scientific purposes, you might find data that clash with the Watchtower doctrine and make a poor Witless if you tell the truth (and they have issues about crap scientists that alter data in the world). And there are no Kingdumb Hells in the Antarctic or in the middle of the Australian Outback. For sure, you cannot witness to a Fierce snake or a banana spider.

The only jobs allowed are those that do not require thinking and have zero risk of getting in a shooting or being involved with the holidays. I wonder how long it will be before they ban window washing because people working at those heights might fall and get hurt and unable to go out in field circus (hey, they just about banned bungee jumping, which is in fact very safe because of the liability issues they face). Currently, the jobs I am aware are still allowed are cleaning jobs and jobs that involve no value creation (like ditch digging).

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

For several years I owned a electronics repair facility. Anything from computers, printers, auto diagnostic equipment, consumer electronics, whatever. I used to get the "what if the computers u repair are used in the military?" Well I suppose if I made toilet paper eventually that paper would be on a soldiers butt. Just some of the flak I got as a business owner.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Growing up in KY, I remember several that had to quit growing tobacco.

I became an exotic dancer a few years after I was df'd. I'm pretty sure that's a big nono.

lisa

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    penis balloons

Really?

• JimWood
    JimWood

For all of you that think that the WT$ condemns college and the political realms, I would present your all wrong.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/05/10/gs_women.html

These things can be meshed into the ministry quite well.

Come on you gotta keep up with the newest light.

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

the newest light?

Of course now they are changing their tune now. I was among the JW's for 30 WHOLE $&ß#ÿ¿%! years and they ALWAYS forbade us from going to college. Their claim was, "As soon as you get out of high school, go into the fulltime ministry because the end is so near. No more time for school." That's BS!

LINDA

• tula
    tula
    http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/05/10/gs_women.html

A political science major , Apltauer returned to school to pursue her undergraduate degree after a 20-year break in her education

and she works for watchtower?

Something about this article sounds really screwy to me. Sounds like she is daughter of someone very priveliged and is being groomed for something in particular at headquarters.

There have to be a few college educated people to help run the show. Those lower on the totem pole are just chattel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit