Why Do You Think Jehovah's Witnesses Are At A Standstill?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Seeker, I know of a man who's married to a Witness and he's happy she's a JW because he feels the people basically are good people, he doesn't have to worry that his wife is an immoral environment and all his kids and grandkids are pretty happy.

• Clam
    Clam

The task is so huge, it's not really worth starting. http://www.jwdeathcounter.com/default.cfm

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The key driver for the last 10 years is the internet.

The internet allowed the UN scandal to come to light and be circulated

The internet allowed the pedophile scandal to circulate quickly

The internet allows free flow of information - the WTS tries to control information

etc

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Their standing in disillusionment brought on by a publishing house that promised them directly so much, this was bound to happen

businesses such as publishing houses like the WTS don't necessarily have a social and moral conscious toward their readership,

this is where the JWS are getting screwed. ( the information they are putting forth is sales based and they use the bible to validate themselves )

• freyd
    freyd

Their foundation is built on deception. The FDS is not a group. Or represented by a group.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The thoughts expressed here are reflected in conversations that I have weekly with long-time, devout JWs. Even the silence of the "quiet" ones speaks volumes. They simply have not yet grasped the full reality that we see and deal with.

The why has already been beautifully addressed.

CoCo

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I just hope my family, can get out, soon, after all the first generation of my family (grandparents) are starting to die off, or be in severe health, or just slowing WAY down. I'm thinking after my grandma goes, then I'm hoping my dad steps down as an elder, and slowly fades. He still isn't that old, only mid 40's, I know he's in because of my grandma and my stepmom's family. However in recent years everyone has been much more relaxed about things, unfortunately that doesn't carry over to talking with DF'd people, so I'm still out in the cold.

But I think as long as their are poor people, down on their luck, alcoholics, drug addicts, perverts, etc., out there "finding religion", then the witnesses will still be in business because of the happy picture they paint. The old timers are passing away, and things are more liberal compared to the tight belt of the 80's when I was growing up. I remember people were appalled by the Simpsons, now many dubs watch the show and discuss it at the hall. Some were letting their kids even go out for sports, when I was DF. But the biggest thing I noticed was just the very "casual" attitude towards meeting attendance, and the great disdain for service that MANY people had.

BUT, the other thing that I noticed was that whenever you brought up a point of contention OR suggest maybe that you just quit going all together, THEN they get all up on their high horse about things, become all "super Dub" on you. It was quite tiring, I basically didn't believe from the time I was 16 or so, and used to try to use logic to speak to my friends, and I have to say none of them are in the troof either. Basically, they all started using their logic too, OR just realized doing "forbidden stuff" was just way more fun.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

They've removed the finish line.

They liken the preaching work to that of running in a race and for the longest time people focused on the fact that the 1914 generation wouldn't die out before the time of the end. That was their finish line. Now they don't say anything other than "it's close".

Without any means to gauge their progress, the zeal has been fading. How can you get excited about being on a treadmill?

• journey-on
    journey-on

I think a lot of them also hang on because of the "what if" syndrome.

What if I leave and the Ark gets shut?

What if I leave and Armageddon comes?

What if it is the Truth and I didn't endure to the end?

So they stay half way in, but aren't enthusiastic enough to work at bringing anybody else in.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

They realize but refuse to admit that they've been lied to. The result of their being duped is for them to not "kill themselves" over anything. They have no sense of urgency.They are apathetic

I's kind of shocking to find out the troof is not the truth.

Sometimes people figure I just wont do anything and see what happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit