Did you get offended when people would refer to you as 'a jehovah witness'?

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 24 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

It's the price you pay for having a group title which has a person's name "in" that title. It ends up having "the" or "a" added before it, depending on language conventions.

E.g., the Mormons once loathed that name because their official designation was The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. What a mouthful! Also, we say "Catholics" (or less flatteringly "Cat Licks") but their actual designation is Roman Catholics.

It's exactly the same when people have longish first names. Most people shorten the name.

Abreviating names happens - even in the best of circles. It facilitates conversation and creates a lot of laughs along the way...

• Quandry
    Quandry

I've known witnesses who say that. I wanted to slap them and say: "See what happens when you're homeschooled?"

Yes!!!! That is hilarious!!!! I used to become very annoyed when witnesses would say I'm a Jehovah Witness. It smacked of ignorance of possesives in the English language.

• 38 Years
    38 Years
    I have a friend who says I used to be a Jehovah.

I would hate it when they said that

I was embarassed when someone would say I was a JW. I hoped it wasn't overheard by anyone. I would get away from that person quickly and avoid them so they couldn't embarrass me again.

• steve2
    steve2
    It smacked of ignorance of possesives in the English language.

Of all the things in the world to be ignorant of, ignorance of possessives is probably waaaaaayyyyyyy down there with ignorance of Latin, ignorance of methods of cleaning elephants and ignorance of the hundreds of ways to peel a carrot (apparently there are over 300 different ways).

Sadly, the world is full of smacked people who are just plain ignorant....

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I never liked being a witness that was my mothers Club. But for a couple of years 73-75 I took it seriously and went all out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit