Did you get offended when people would refer to you as 'a jehovah witness'?

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

and correct them and say, 'No no you hump, I'm ONE OF jehovah's witnesses', as in, 'I'm not alone fella, I'm one of many. You mess with me, you mess with all of us. Do you not know that at any time I could summon a legion of other witnesses?'

Now, 'what, are you a joehoba or sumthin'' sounds quite ok to say.

• steve2
    steve2

Since I never saw what Jehovah had done, I could never be accused of being one of his witnesses...but I jest.

I did not so much get offended as I did earnestly try and try to correct people by emphasizing the "one of" aspect such as "Well actually, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness but I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses." The distinction probably eluded my confused listeners.

I'm sure I was well-intentioned in my pedantry but I'm now also equally sure that I came across as an anally retentive prude.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yeah, it still annoys me when people say "Jehovah Witness"

>>>the deal here is the no "'s" in the Jehovah<<<

It's like they can't figure out how to make it singular.

I thought it made them sound pretty dumb and still do. I mean, come on, it is a world religion. Get it right or you sound like a moron. It's pretty bad when you have ex-dubs using the phrase...

And there is an apostrophe. The witnesses belong to Jehovah. So it's Jehovah*'s* Witnesses. 5th grade grammar.

I also am annoyed by people spelling "Morman" for Mormon

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

On the other hand, I'm all for using:

JoHos, dubs, hovers, etc etc :P

I'm just saying when people say "Jehovah Witness" they are usually not doing it with any irony or humor... they usually are just getting it wrong.

• compound complex
    compound complex

NO; foreign languages that I'm familiar with "solve" the problem by saying Witnesses of Jehovah, viz, "Temoins de Jehovah" [French]. Well, if you call that a solution ...
    This Rutherfordian convolution is awkward and does not roll easily off the tongue, if you're concerned with euphony.

CoCo

• noni1974
    noni1974

I have a friend who says I used to be a Jehovah.

• dobbie
    dobbie

If i had to mention it i would say 'i'm a jehovah's witness' not one of. Someone at work use to call us jovy's, i thought that was quie cute but my friend went nuts at me for saying it and said it was really disrespectful! Other people used to refer to jws as just 'jehovahs' that was funny. Didn't really bother me what names they came up with tbh. Maybe bible basher of thumper annoyed me the most!

• carla
    carla

I must say it kind of amuses me when I discuss jw's with anybody. Those who know nothing about them call them 'a jehovah's witness' like 'a Lutheran' or 'a Catholic'. Then there are those that refer to the die hards as a 'big jehovah' or better yet a 'really big jehovah'. No, I never correct them I know full well what they mean.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Grammar aside, I was more offended when my high school, unbaptized, not even studying ass was referred to as a "JoWo". My first religious persecution, and it was just for being in a family with one baptized grandma and her somewhat sympathetic children.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I think near the end I just whispered "quiet down not so loud"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit