Did Jesus rise from the dead with 1.His physical body (or) 2. As a spirit

by jesusisgod 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jesusisgod
    jesusisgod

Please post your view, then some scriptures to back it up. Then look at what the Bible has to say.

My view is simple. Jesus did rise from the dead with his physical tangeble body and he had the marks to prove it.

My scriptural proof are as follows,

John 2:19 "Jesus answered them, 'Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.' The Jews then said, 'It has taken 46 years to build this temple and you will raise it up again in three days?' But he was speaking of the temple of his body."

Luke 24:39 "Touch me and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have." (read whole context it speaks volumes of Jesus bodily resurrection)

Also 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 Paul tells us the gospel, Jesus death, burial and resurrection. This makes up the gospel.

The entire book of Acts we see the early Church proclaim they are Jesus' witnesses and they proclaim his death burial and bodily resurrection

Robin

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

JesusisGod,

Both so I call it the hypostasis of Christ. The was a trinitarian term but it can also be used in its generic form. Jesus was restored to life as a non-human just as he was before he became flesh. This was in answer to His prayer: Joh 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. Once restored to such life and as the creator of man Jesus could now raise His own body as promised which you already have shown. Another verse that will show he could do this is: Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. From this time on our Lord could use whichever nature He chose and He would need them both to accomplish His mission. We see Him addressed both ways in scripture. So Paul witnessed the non-human nature during his selection as apostle and we will witness His human nature again when He returns to administer His Kingdom here on earth. It however be the immortal human nature of Christ that concerns us as this is what is promised for us all.

Joseph

• JCanon
    JCanon

Interesting topic! I'll only add this as part of the context:

1. While Jesus may have been raised as a spirit, whenever he appeared in the flesh, the was not an angel, he was flesh and blood. Thus the two do not exist at the same time.

2. While Jesus did materialize his wounds for Thomas so that he would believe, Jesus never appeared in his original appearance, always as someone else. That would reflect that Jesus would not be in his own body at the second coming, but someone elses; thus recognizing him would be through his deeds or words, not any specific physical appearance.

3. This was only during the 40 days after his resurrection. One he went up to Heaven to offer the value of his perfect body in Heaven, then he lost access to that body and the right to materialize it. Thus, when he appears in the flesh again at the second coming, he can only do so by "borrowing" the body of one of his servants (i.e. possession? transmigration?)

JC

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

2. While Jesus did materialize his wounds for Thomas so that he would believe, Jesus never appeared in his original appearance, always as someone else.

JCanon,

This is a Watchtower teaching and I have show it to be false. I did this in an article I wrote to refute a chapter in Stafford's first book called Identifying the Antichrist. You will find it on my website. Some of your other comments are also unsupported but that was to be expected.

Joseph

• JCanon
    JCanon

JCanon,

This is a Watchtower teaching and I have show it to be false. I did this in an article I wrote to refute a chapter in Stafford's first book called Identifying the Antichrist. You will find it on my website. Some of your other comments are also unsupported but that was to be expected.

Joseph

Um....and where is the link to your website and better yet, specific article? I'd appreciate a specific link, thanks!! I apologize if it is posted somehwere and I don't see it. But it's not apparent, sorry.

Hi Joseeph. I concede that I don't know "exactly" how Jesus did this. I suppose it would be consistent with scripture if he just changed his appearance or alterned the perception of this appearance in the minds of others. But they never recognized him even though he appeared to them several times. We know therefore that (1) he did not appear to them with the same appearance he had before, and (2) he didn't just adopt a new appearance but several!

If you provide a link to your specific rebuttal article maybe we can come to terms on some of the points, but would appreciate a specific LINK, thanks. I don't like going to people's webpages and then proceeding on a wild goose chase - (i.e. Oh yes, the lucky lottery ticket number is one of these numbers from 1 to 54! Good luck!)

As far as the "unsupported" statements I made, I'll be happy to support them with scriptures if you will be more specific about which ones you are talking about. You've made a vague, overall dismissal of my views, send me to your webpage without giving me a link to the webpage or any specific article? I have no choice but to presume you cannot competently define your view. However, if you are more specific, I'll be glad to provide the scriptural bases for my position on all the statements I make.

JC

• heathen
    heathen

I think jesus was raised in spirit first , he did say before he died ," father into your hands I entrust my sprit" , showing to me that the father would control what happened to the spirit but then later he raised his own body .

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The whole logic of the empty tomb story presumes a bodily resurrection of Jesus.

Also worth noting:

"Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact" (Acts 2:29-32).

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

JCanon,

Just click on my name above the picture and it takes you to my profile which contains my website. This is a feature of JWD. A good time to bring your profile up to date as well. OOPS, sorry they must have changed some of its features. Did not find it myself. http://home.earthlink.net/~jmalik/

Joseph

P.S. Fixed it at last. Thanks

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

One of the most exciting spirtual awakenings happened when I realized that the reserection of Jesus meant the reserection of His body. When Paul is talking about "It is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption...etc" what is the "it."

Answer: the body.

Everything made sense after that.

PS: my spellig is gone....'nite all.....

V

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

I think there is a scripture where Jesus was given power to resurrect himself. Also, Jesus resurrection out of his grave but was did not asend to heaven until later. The JDUBs teach that when Jesus asension happen In Acts his body change(etheral) into the clouds. Because flesh and bones does not go into heavens.

As far as his resurrection, he had power to do what ever he wanted to do but when Marys went to see him he was not prepared to go to heaven as yet and they should not touch him. I just thought I would mention that one.

I know they did not recognize him but he did eat and Thomas touched him so does that mean he was prepared to go into heavens?

It all interesting! one more thing I like the fact that while Jesus was in the grave he preached to the one who were put into darkness.

It is getting late!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit