Iranian leader's opening rant...sounded like a JW

by restrangled 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Iron Rod
    Iron Rod

hillary_step...The one point that I will concede to you is that you indeed did not say "Bush linked Saddam to 9-11." I'm so accustomed to people saying that that I jumped the gun. I will be certain to read more carefully what you write. After all, I would hate to be accused of having "reading comprehension issues" by one of my friends here on JWD.......As for my "second point being even more misinformed"...It appears that you missed my second point.You talked about how Bush,through his blunders, had provoked nations like Iran. (referring to them as part of the "Axis of Evil" etc.) Now I've heard that arguement before,too. Usually the reasoning is that Bush caused all of this;there was no terrorism or hatred of the West before he came along,etc. No, I'm not quoting exactly word for word what you said,but you know which statements I'm referring to. Was that not your point? If I'm misconstruing what you meant,by all means correct me. Anyway, thats the way I took it,so I listed some of the terrorist acts that took place long before Bush took office and challenged you to find a way to blame Bush for those. You then launched into a diatribe about the Shah and America being rotten SOB's,totally side-stepping my actual point.(For the record-I don't think that you have reading comprehension issues. You were just in a hurry to get on with displaying your vastly superior intellect. That was your point in your closing remarks about education, was it not?) You also (in another previous post) went on a bit about what a great country Iran is.. (no, I'm not going to tell you to move there) Did you miss my earlier statement to AllTimeJeff that my issues with Iran center on the Iranian government, not the Iranian people? I wholeheartly agree with you regarding the rich history of the Middle Eastern people as far as education,philosophy,etc. One would have to be ignorant of history not to.

AllTimeJeff, with all due respect, how can you say that there were "No terrorists in Iraq"? Just one quick point: Twice on this thread I have mentioned Salman Pak.No one here has addressed that.They trained terrorists how to take over a passenger plane there. Who do you think the trainees were?

Something that Democrats don't want to talk about is how in the late 90's,Bill Clinton was sounding all the same warnings about Saddam that Bush later did. He spoke of the necessity of taking Saddam out. Elected Democrats(almost to a member) agreed. What makes this really amazing to consider is that these same Democrats, who had no problem with what Clinton was proposing pre 9-11,suddenly had major issues with it when Bush was saying it post 9-11. Wonder what the difference was ...

Satanus, the obvious reason for the statistic you cited (if accurate-source please) is that they don't argue over the death penalty there.

barry..if you're still listening out there...heres to youand John Howard

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Iron Rod,

Apologies accepted. You must learn to think outside the tribal competition of Democrat and Republican if you ever expect to understand what is happening here. Both your political parties are caught in a loop tied at the ends by marketing companies and have long ago ceased to undestand the will of the people and the peoples right to be well informed of political matters. A pox on both your houses.

If I'm misconstruing what you meant,by all means correct me.

Yes, you are misconstruing me regarding the use of the term 'axis of evil' by President Bush in describing in part Iran. I did not say that this was the 'cause' of terrorism, I said that it caused a national shcok wave in Iran with all its peoples.

The decription was seen in Iran as a huge insult. Their "parliament" met the day after this statement was made specifically to discuss this statement. The Iranians, who by the way are not Arabs, are a very proud people and rightly view themselves as the cradle of civilization in the Orient, second only to China in antiquity. Such a description by President Bush was seen by them as unjust and outrageous and resulted in a policy of non-cooperation with the US over its demands by the US to stop its nuclear ambitions. Iran still has a policy of non-cooperation over the matter with the US, but has agreed to open its doors to the UN.

Insiders within the White House have acknowledged that in retrospect, it was an ill-advised statement to make and this is at the crux of the matter. The White House Adminstration, and many millions of Americans are proud to remain ignorant of any culture outside its boundaries, and if its foreign policies do not come straight out of a Chuck Norris movie, they think it a failure.

Donald Trump summed up the scenario when he described the US as having "third rate diplomats" controlled by an "idiot". I think he was being kind both to the United States Foreign Service and its present President.

The US in recent decades has been guilty of retrospective politics so often that it has become the laughing stock of the civilized world. The blunders will only cease when some humility is injected into the US political psyche.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

PS - If you really want to understand Iran and its people, from distant history until the modern day, watch some of these excellent documentary programs.

I guarantee that they will open eyes and give a more balanced perspective.

For all its failings what the US really needs is its own "BBC" to inform its people, outside of politically partisan news programmes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/iran/

HS

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Are you really that naive? How do you wipe out Israel......hummmm nukes maybe!!!

Israel has 75-200 active nuclear warheads(exact number unknown).

How do you think Iran plans to 'wipe them out' with one? Are you really that naive?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I just want to say, I'm enjoying the dialogue on this thread. I think we all are learning and many are seeing more clearly through the propaganda of nationally inspired news media. There's hope I think for us, when we don't allow projections of our own shadows and manipulations of the rulling elite carry us along in thier agenda of world dominations for maximum profits.

• Iron Rod
    Iron Rod

hillary_step...I would like to say that I tip my hat to people like you and AllTimeJeff. It's really great to be able to debate these issues with civil,principled, and intelligent people. Its awesome that here (unlike your local Kingdom Hall) we can have different opinions and even discuss them rationally.

I actually agree for the most part with your view regarding the political parties. I am not a member of either party, and you wont see me debating other political issues. I,like many people around the world, was deeply affected by 9-11. I believe that terrorism should be the number one issue to address. Thats my focus here,not one party over another. Even my earlier comments to Jeff regarding the Democrats flip-flop regarding Iraq was not meant as an all-encompassing endorsement of Republicans.( there was actually another point I was trying to make there,I'm sure that you probably got it). For example, Joe Lieberman is a Democrat, and he has been consistently in favor of the Iraq war from the beginning. I am also relieved to have been mistaken regarding the point you were making vis-a-vis Bush causing the terrorism. As well informed as you are, I'm sure that you are aware that there are people who try to infer that.

I do have to question your use of Donald Trumps statement. He is not exactly scolar or statesman. I turn your attention to his recent very public spat with Rosie O'Donnell. I would say that that situation made him look like an "idiot" or shameless publicity hound.

Anyway,have a good day!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Iron Rod,

I do have to question your use of Donald Trumps statement. He is not exactly scolar or statesman. I turn your attention to his recent very public spat with Rosie O'Donnell. I would say that that situation made him look like an "idiot" or shameless publicity hound.

Well, he is a very well educated man who eats 'statesmen' for breakfast. If you have ever read his book 'Art Of The Deal' you will note that he is a very experienced businessman and has become rich by being to identify a fool and his weaknesses.

He definately called it right on this one regarding US diplomats and their President. Even Kissinger in his book "Diplomacy' peppers it throughout with examples of multiple embarrassing US Diplomactic failures, too many to list.

As for Trump, he seldom thinks outside of business and I have no doubt at all that the "O'Donnell" affair raised his TV ratings which was probably his agenda to begin with and it certainly cost O'Donnell her job. This publicity was free and cost his company not one penny. Trump is one very shrewd man whom many have underestimated to their cost.

HS

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

AllTimeJeff, with all due respect, how can you say that there were "No terrorists in Iraq"? Just one quick point: Twice on this thread I have mentioned Salman Pak.No one here has addressed that.They trained terrorists how to take over a passenger plane there. Who do you think the trainees were?

Dude, remember Oklahoma City? There are terrorists everywhere. (including here in the USA) For the sake of semantics, (which is usually what debates grind down into when two sides polarize) my point wasn't that terrorists didn't exist in Iraq, but that these terrorists did not have the sophistication that Bin Ladens team had. They also weren't the threats that the Bush administration made them out to be.....

In addition, you want to bring up Salmam Pak??????????????????????????????????????? Good luck there my Republican Saddle... (that is meant in fun, I don't mind you believing this, its Bush who I have the problem with believing this....) Here is some information on Salman Pak that doesn't come from O"Riles, Hannity, or DICK Cheney.......

The facility was discussed in the leadup to the 2003 invasion of Iraq as a result of a campaign by Iraqi defectors associated with the Iraqi National Congress to assert that the facility was a terrorist training camp. The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has since established that both the CIA and the DIA concluded that there was no evidence to support these claims. A DIA analyst told the Committee, "The Iraqi National Congress (INC) has been pushing information for a long time about Salman Pak and training of al-Qa'ida." Knight Ridder reporters Jonathan S. Landay and Warren P. Strobel noted in November 2005 that "After the war, U.S. officials determined that a facility in Salman Pak was used to train Iraqi anti-terrorist commandos."[Seattle Times, 1 November2005, p. A5]. And PBS Frontline - who originally carried many of the allegations of Iraqi defectors - similarly noted that "U.S. officials have now concluded that Salman Pak was most likely used to train Iraqi counter-terrorism units in anti-hijacking techniques."[3]

Iraqi defectors associated with the INC asserted that the facility was used by the Mukhabarat (Iraqi Intelligence) to train Iraqi militia groups such as the Fedayeen in use of military small arms, RPG's, assassination, espionage, and counter insurgency techniques [4]. Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, members of the Iraqi National Congress promoted claims that the facility was used to train the hijackers. Sabah Khodada, a former captain in the Iraqi Army, claimed that the attacks had been carried out by people who had been trained in Iraq. In a PBS special on US television, a man identified only "an Iraqi Lieutenant General", claimed that in 2000 he had been "the security officer in charge of the unit" at Salman Pak and had seen Arab students being taught how to hijack airliners using a Boeing 707 fuselage at Salman Pak. The independent Iraqi weekly Al-Yawm Al-Aakher interviewed a former Iraqi officer who also claimed that Salman Pak was being used to train foreign terrorists. [5] A mass grave containing 150 bodies was also found in June 2003. The bodies were apparently executed prisoners who were killed three days before US troops entered Baghdad in April 2003.[6]Seymour Hersh notes that "Salman Pak was overrun by American troops on April 6. Apparently, neither the camp nor the former biological facility has yielded evidence to substantiate the claims made before the war [that the camp was used for terrorist training]."[7] Douglas MacCollam wrote in the July/August 2004 issue of the Columbia Journalism Review that "There still remain claims and counterclaims about what was going on at Salman Pak. But the consensus view now is that the camp was what Iraq told UN weapons inspectors it was — a counterterrorism training camp for army commandos."[8]

The facility was discussed in the leadup to the 2003 invasion of Iraq as a result of a campaign by Iraqi defectors associated with the Iraqi National Congress to assert that the facility was a terrorist training camp. The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has since established that both the CIA and the DIA concluded that there was no evidence to support these claims. A DIA analyst told the Committee, "The Iraqi National Congress (INC) has been pushing information for a long time about Salman Pak and training of al-Qa'ida." Knight Ridder reporters Jonathan S. Landay and Warren P. Strobel noted in November 2005 that "After the war, U.S. officials determined that a facility in Salman Pak was used to train Iraqi anti-terrorist commandos."[Seattle Times, 1 November2005, p. A5]. And PBS Frontline - who originally carried many of the allegations of Iraqi defectors - similarly noted that "U.S. officials have now concluded that Salman Pak was most likely used to train Iraqi counter-terrorism units in anti-hijacking techniques."[3]

Iraqi defectors associated with the INC asserted that the facility was used by the Mukhabarat (Iraqi Intelligence) to train Iraqi militia groups such as the Fedayeen in use of military small arms, RPG's, assassination, espionage, and counter insurgency techniques [4]. Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, members of the Iraqi National Congress promoted claims that the facility was used to train the hijackers. Sabah Khodada, a former captain in the Iraqi Army, claimed that the attacks had been carried out by people who had been trained in Iraq. In a PBS special on US television, a man identified only "an Iraqi Lieutenant General", claimed that in 2000 he had been "the security officer in charge of the unit" at Salman Pak and had seen Arab students being taught how to hijack airliners using a Boeing 707 fuselage at Salman Pak. The independent Iraqi weekly Al-Yawm Al-Aakher interviewed a former Iraqi officer who also claimed that Salman Pak was being used to train foreign terrorists. [5] A mass grave containing 150 bodies was also found in June 2003. The bodies were apparently executed prisoners who were killed three days before US troops entered Baghdad in April 2003.[6]Seymour Hersh notes that "Salman Pak was overrun by American troops on April 6. Apparently, neither the camp nor the former biological facility has yielded evidence to substantiate the claims made before the war [that the camp was used for terrorist training]."[7] Douglas MacCollam wrote in the July/August 2004 issue of the Columbia Journalism Review that "There still remain claims and counterclaims about what was going on at Salman Pak. But the consensus view now is that the camp was what Iraq told UN weapons inspectors it was — a counterterrorism training camp for army commandos."[8]

AND......

Inconsistencies in the stories of the defectors led some U.S. officials, journalists, and investigators to conclude that the Salman Pak story was inaccurate. One senior U.S. official said that they had found "nothing to substantiate" the claim that al-Qaeda trained at Salman Pak.[10][11] The credibility of the defectors has been questioned due to their association with the Iraqi National Congress, an organization that has been accused of deliberately supplying false information to the US government in order to build support for an invasion of Iraq.[12] "The INC’s agenda was to get us into a war", said Helen Kennedy of the New York Daily News.[13]

The DIA told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence in 2006 that after Operation Desert Storm, "fabricators and unestablished sources who reported hearsay or thirdhand information created a large volume of human intelligence reporting. This type of reporting surged after September 2001 and continued well after the capture of Salman Pak." Yet the DIA's postwar exploitation of the facility found "no information from Salman Pak that links al-Qa'ida with the former regime." (p. 84)

Inconsistencies in the stories of the defectors led some U.S. officials, journalists, and investigators to conclude that the Salman Pak story was inaccurate. One senior U.S. official said that they had found "nothing to substantiate" the claim that al-Qaeda trained at Salman Pak.[10][11] The credibility of the defectors has been questioned due to their association with the Iraqi National Congress, an organization that has been accused of deliberately supplying false information to the US government in order to build support for an invasion of Iraq.[12] "The INC’s agenda was to get us into a war", said Helen Kennedy of the New York Daily News.[13]

The DIA told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence in 2006 that after Operation Desert Storm, "fabricators and unestablished sources who reported hearsay or thirdhand information created a large volume of human intelligence reporting. This type of reporting surged after September 2001 and continued well after the capture of Salman Pak." Yet the DIA's postwar exploitation of the facility found "no information from Salman Pak that links al-Qa'ida with the former regime." (p. 84)

Bummer.... Listen. I WATCHED THE GOD DAMN HEARINGS!!!! I KNOW WHAT BUSH, POWELL, CHENEY AND THE LOT OF THEM WERE TRYING TO GET ACROSS.... IRAQ WAS THE SAME AS AL QUEDA..... Don't insult my intelligence by telling me otherwise. And listen, STILL, there is no corrobative evidence to show Iraq was in any way involved in 9/11, or close to developing WMD's... So why did we go in there? The intelligence has long been proven wrong. It was a mistake! Ok, I might still vote Republican one day if they get their heads out of their @$$, but come on!!

• Iron Rod
    Iron Rod

AllTimeJeff....I'm glad that you said that you were kidding about the "Republican saddle" comment( I hope that you read my post to hillary_step above) I've never even voted for anyone. Up until about nine months ago, I was a good little Shrub who was "no part of the world."

Thank you for finally addressing Salman Pak. I was beginning to think that everyone was going to ignore that.The info that you provided was interesting and I'll certainly do some more research on it as well.I think that this story,like the story concerning Wissam Al Zahawie going to Niger to buy uranium may never be proven conclusively right or wrong, but it does seem that the consensus is going against them at this point.( The last that I heard, British Intelligence still maintained that the Niger story was true,though I know that they are in sparse company on this) I assure you that it wasn't my intention to play games with semantics concerning your assertion that there were no terrorists in Iraq. I honestly took your statement literally because I have in fact debated people who have said just that.(BTW -at this point you made a comment about O'Reilly...in case you missed my comment about him on another thread, I can't stand him. I think he's an arrogant prick)

I congratulate you on sitting through the hearings,you're a better man than I. I couldn't sit through all of them. I can also assure you that I would not try to insult your intelligence. Of course the Administration wanted people to make their own mental connections about Saddam and Al-Queda. But I,like you try to be as accurate as possible,and again I debate with many people who make all manner of incorrect statements about all of this. I'll tell you what, from now on I will take for granted that you are intelligent and well informed,thus not one to make that type of broad (and incorrect)generalization.

I never said that Iraq was involved in 9-11,so thats not relevant to our discourse. (but I do understand why you mention it)

As far as WMD's my earlier comments to you regarding the things that Bill Clinton said in the late 90's are key.Recall that at that time he was saying that Saddam had WMD's,and many other world leaders were agreeing with that. Now, because I'm a reasonable guy, I'm willing to admit that all those countries may have been wrong. Intelligence gathering is tricky business. However, I would hope that you would grant the possibility that perhaps they were right. That is: Saddam had WMD's and that the 14 month UN pontification-fest afforded plenty of time to move them. There were convoys of trucks seen by satellite leaving Iraq during this time. (No, that doesn't prove anything conclusively,but it is not an unreasonable hypothesis.)

Your voting decisions are your business...as I said I've never voted at all. Personally, I think that, with a few exceptions,they all(regardless of whether there is a "D" or an "R" in front of their names) have their heads way up their asses.

Like I told hillary_step, my concern is stopping terrorism. I would be interested to hear what suggestions you might have on how to do this.( That statement was not meant flippantly. I respect your intelligence and I like to consider other opinions. Well....if its the opinion of an intelligent person.)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

ALAS!! My sarcasm (done with slight tounge in cheek) doesn't come through when I type... Did you know Iron Rod that even in the borg, people would read my emails and think they were rather aggressive. I guess it is because they are.... My words are much more measured, but my fingers get really happy on subjects like this...... (people who read me think I am a jerk sometimes, which I deserve. In person, I am much more reasonable....)

It isn't a matter of political parties to me. I am a moderate liberal but vote independant... To me, I don't believe most other Republican's would have handled terrorism after 9/11 the way Bush and Cheney did. What I have a problem with the Republicans on this is the lack of independant voices within the party. It is part of their machinary that got started with the Gingrich revolution, where they must support the president no matter what. It is almost religious. But an honest examination of the facts has revealed that at the very least, the Bush Administration has been less then forthcoming all the way down. You can't do that in a democracy....

Thanks for your kind words Iron Rod. I enjoy debating these subjects with you as well!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit