A "Man" in Spite of the Organization: ISOCF

by compound complex 21 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

What does it mean to "keep Jehovah's organization clean"?

[...] It means that those men will continue to apply with all due vigor whatever policy may be current and they will disfellowship anyone who does not adhere to that policy ... The main concern is to be obedient to Society policy. The feeling is created that 'if the organization tells us to do it we will not be held responsible by God if it is a mistake.' That same mentality has prevailed among men of many lands and in many periods who have excused themselves of guilt in serious injustice by the claim that "they were simply following orders from their superiors." Even the world's courts have rejected such an excuse. How much more should Christians reject it!

The binding, restricting effect that this concern for organizational submission can have on person's minds was illustrated to me by an experience related by Robert Lang, then the assistant Bethel Home Overseer at the international headquarters. He had been transferred to a different congregation in the New York city area and he said that at one of the first meetings he attended there the elders approached him for advice. It seems that a young woman, the sister of one of the ministerial servants, was disfellowshiped and was still attending meetings. She had a small baby and brought it with her to the Kingdom Hall in a baby carriage. The Hall itself was on the second story of a building and the stairs were long and steep. The young woman would back up the stairs, pulling the baby carriage - with the baby in it - up the stairs as she went. The question the elders asked was whether it would be proper for the disfellowshiped woman's brother to assist her in getting up the stairs! Some thought so, others said, no, being disfellowshiped she should be considered as if she were not even there. To his credit, Lang said, "I don't know what the rule is on this, I only know one thing: if I'm around when she starts pulling that carriage up the stairs, I'm going to help her! When I think of what could happen if she were to stumble and lose control of the carriage ....'

The most frightening thing about this is that adult men did not feel they could be guided by their own hearts and minds in a circumstance so obviously calling for human kindness. The pressing concern for them was - not the danger to the infant's life - but WHAT THE ORGANIZATION POLICY ALLOWED in such cases [emphasis: RF]. They gave evidence of having become emasculated men in matters of ethics, of right and wrong.

Franz concludes by stating that Robert Lang was for him "the kind of person he was, not because of the organization, but in spite of the organization."

IN SEARCH OF CHRISTIAN FREEDOM, Ray Franz, pp. 404, 405.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

That is such a damn fine piece of literature!

That story reminds me of the story about Jesus where he said 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

Yes, to be a real Man within the organization, one must fight the organization all that way.

RD

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Hi Coco, I like your new avatar. This is a good post. Although, I'm not christian this is a prime example of men who get caught up in the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law. It shows how far they have moved more towards examining the principals of judaism. This overides natural affections towards fellowman and is very telling in where their hearts lie.

I have mentioned before, in Terry's threads, about people who like to play with words and are more concerned with intellectual matters and miss the point of what the humanity in our existance is all about.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx for sharing that tidbit CoCo. I recall reading it and thinking how mind-shackled we all were to the organization. I recall a Watchtower magazine that dealt with the 'proper proceedures' for such things as picking up a disfellowhshipped person who was stranded, changing a tire for a disfellowshipped person, etc.

When I look back, I wonder why I checked my brain at the door for so long. Good God.

Jeff

• Clam
    Clam

Very interesting story and points. Thank you for that CoCo. I've read CoC several times but have never gotten hold of ISOCF. I've always felt that CoC told me everything I needed to know about Franz and his dealings with the Society, but this passage tells me otherwise. I think I'll purchase this book sooner rather than later. By the way does anyone know how many copies these two books have sold?

. . people who like to play with words and are more concerned with intellectual matters and miss the point of what the humanity in our existance is all about.

Absolutely Tyrone.

Clam

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    By the way does anyone know how many copies these two books have sold?

So far, one less than it should have. I recommend ISoCF heartily, Clam.

I don't know that Ray has ever published the totals.

Jeff

• Clam
    Clam

Thanks Jeff. "Proper Procedures". Laughable isn't it? How far do they go with their guidance? "Is it proper for a Christian to rescue a disfellowshipped person from a fire?" Nuts! That's one of the things I love about my JW brother-in-law. Someone who insisted on standing down from being an elder, he's a "human" before he's a Witness. He certainly wouldn't have a dilemma with helping that young lady with her carriage. As Christians also say "what would Jesus do?"

Clam

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Dave and Tyrone,

Thank you for your replies.

Ah, yes! The letter of the "LAW." But, whose law? I recall a comment from A. Schroeder declaring the existence of 1177 Society rules and regulations: 'If you don't like them, you can leave.'

I have JW friends that continually put themselves at risk in the congregation because they are always speaking out against injustice and helping the underdog. The only difference between them and us is they still think Jehovah is using the WT. They are on the brink of a marvelous, albeit earthshaking, discovery. I'm attempting to get them gently to the tipping point.

Glad you like my very old district convention photo, Tyrone. The color you've added to your avatar is pretty cool ...

CoCo

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    As Christians also say "what would Jesus do?"

Clam

I recall when that phrase began to catch here in this area. The jw's were all afluster over avoidance of it's use. I wondered why it was objectionable at the time. Seems like a good way to think - oops.... there's the problem, eh?

Jeff

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, too, Jeff and Clam:

Directly following this experience are further comments from Franz re: 'articles I wrote in 1974 which greatly moderated the attitude toward those in a "disfellowshiped state."' [see CRISIS, page 308, including footnote 7.]

As I am able I will write out some of the cases involving DFed persons needing transportation to the meetings.There was no means for one young disfellowshiped girl to get to meetings, a requirement for reinstatement:

Her mother wrote to the headquarters, expressing concern
    for the danger of her young daughter walking country roads
    alone, and pleading that some "dispensation" be given so that
    the elders could help her. [ISOCF, p. 405.]

Your comments are great, guys!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit