Cain and Abel - where did they get the idea of a burnt offering?

by truthseeker 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    why is the ritual killing of a living organism considered good
    (Numbers 29:12-38) . . ."‘And on the fifteenth day of the seventh month YOU should hold a holy convention. No sort of laborious work must YOU do, and YOU must celebrate a festival to Jehovah seven days. 13 And YOU must present as a burnt offering, an offering made by fire, of a restful odor to Jehovah, thirteen young bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old. They should prove to be sound ones. 14 And as their grain offering of fine flour moistened with oil three tenth measures for each bull of the thirteen bulls, two tenth measures for each ram of the two rams, 15 and a tenth measure for each male lamb of the fourteen male lambs; 16 and one kid of the goats as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering, its grain offering and its drink offering. 17 "‘And on the second day twelve young bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 18 and their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bulls, the rams and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure; 19 and one kid of the goats as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering and its grain offering, together with their drink offerings. 20 "‘And on the third day eleven bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 21 and their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bulls, the rams and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure; 22 and one goat as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering and its grain offering and its drink offering. 23 "‘And on the fourth day ten bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 24 their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bulls, the rams and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure; 25 and one kid of the goats as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering, its grain offering and its drink offering. 26 "‘And on the fifth day nine bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 27 and their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bulls, the rams and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure; 28 and one goat as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering and its grain offering and its drink offering. 29 "‘And on the sixth day eight bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 30 and their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bulls, the rams and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure; 31 and one goat as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering, its grain offering and its drink offerings. 32 "‘And on the seventh day seven bulls, two rams, fourteen male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 33 and their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bulls, the rams and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure for them; 34 and one goat as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering, its grain offering and its drink offering. 35 "‘And on the eighth day YOU should hold a solemn assembly. No sort of laborious work must YOU do. 36 And YOU must present as a burnt offering, an offering made by fire, of a restful odor to Jehovah, one bull, one ram, seven male lambs each a year old, sound ones; 37 and their grain offering and their drink offerings for the bull, the ram and the male lambs by their number according to the regular procedure; 38 and one goat as a sin offering, aside from the constant burnt offering and its grain offering and its drink offering.

199 animals in a week

• journey-on
    journey-on

Were these animals eaten by the Levites? Or were they just killed and burned?

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

Imagine again having two children one say I want to murder my brother...

The mom say ok! Lets eat some veggies because your brothers life is worth less then animals!

Ok let just forget about killing your brother OJ we don't care about that little thing!

• writetoknow
    writetoknow

What bunch of BS I worked in a slaughter house and we killed far more animals then that a day so people good eat at Mc D's for a $1.00 what self-righteous BS!

You have no idea what blood is and what "people" do with it billions of gallons daily to feed so you can have it your way. Get off the soap box!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Death is as natural as everything else - doens't mean we have to like it.

• yknot
    yknot

Ok here are my 2 pennies worth

I checked a couple different Bible translations and nowhere does it mention that Abels firstlings were BURNT, just that there were "fattened" giving the impression that they were at their peakness. I assume you did what I did when reading this question. I pictured the My Book of Bible Stories illustration

Cain and Abel and their offerings:

Gen 4 spans an unnumbered amount of time from birth of boys to Noah. I think that God had already communicated with Adam about their relationship (the big screw-up and Satan) and that these offerings were mostlikely as attonements which we later see in the likes of Leviticus. Remember now, no where in the Bible does it say Adam will not receive forgiveness (at least I haven't seen it). It holds Adam accountable ultimately more so then Eve (1Tim 2:14) but not a permanent condemnation of either. Sure the WTBS uses the verse about "manslayer" but their past/ current medical jibberish is equal to manslaying too. Anywho.....back to the subject at hand. So since we see that there is an offering, Cain does some produce and Abel some firstlings. (If Adam and company didn't eat meat then certainly they would have to have clothing and hides are faster then looms) We have to assume that a commandment to do so was ordered as God is apparently still friendly with the humans. It goes on to say that God and Cain chat about his favoring Abels offering, God tells Cain if you turn to doing good, there to will be exaltation. So it seems that Cain is having some issues of attitude that are not elaborated.

y

• tula
    tula

This is a very very interesting subject.

• bobld
    bobld

I don't know why.Let illustrate,a father has two son name A and C.On father's day,son A gives him a beautiful gift,son C gives him a home made father's day card.The father is appreciative of both gifts because it is not the value of the gift's but the thought.That is the normal behavior of any parent.

Now God would rip the card up throw it in C's face and kick him out of the house. When you read God's autobiography He is a very vengeful,hateful,jealous,dominant,my way or the highway type of person.

Bob

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

ADAM'S FARTS

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Truthseeker:

The questions you present in your post are ones that I thought of at one time.

I was always rather disturbed that God was only pleased when there was a sacrifice and a dead body involved.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit