Cain and Abel - where did they get the idea of a burnt offering?

by truthseeker 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

My point again -

Abel was a herder of sheep - he cared for them, looked after them, probably knew some of their "personality types"

Why would someone whose job involved the care and protection of animals suddenly decide to kill some to please God?

Abel would have been familiar with death, as animals have a set life span, more or less. He may have been upset at the concept of death, so why continue it in another form?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Jehovah hinted in private cos he just loves the smell of burnt animal flesh - tis a restful odor dont you know

• journey-on
    journey-on

It's representative only....not literal. Jesus said in John 15:13: "Greater love hath no man than this, that

a man lay down his life for his friends." God is Love. That means something. It's not just a little ditty.

Real love means you would sacrifice blood for loved ones/friends. I know I would give up my own life in a

heartbeat for my children.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Journey on,

I understand that, but in Abel's case, no life was at stake.

The only thought is perhaps Abel imagined that sacrificing an animal life might somehow lengthen or save his own life.

At this point, it is assumed that no one had yet died - Abel and Cain were the only two children alive then.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

truthseeker --

Will you argue that death is not natural?

• journey-on
    journey-on

The Cain and Abel story representS what real love truly requires. It requires so much that you would

give your Life for it.

I don't think Cain and Abel were real people. They represented a concept. It's like taking the story

of Jack and Beanstalk and saying Jack was a real character and so was the giant. The story is

where the lesson or message is. Look at the STORY and figure out what it is telling you.

no one had yet died

The animals around them died everyday! Man understood death and what it meant. Adam and Eve

had no doubt passed down their story of how, when they sinned against the Lord, He sacrificed an

animal for them in order to cover them. Blood was shed in order to cover them.

BUT THE POINT IS: THESE ARE STORIES TO TEACH MANKIND THE MEANING OF SACRIFICE!

REAL LOVE REQUIRES THE WILLINGNESS TO SACRIFICE.

• marmot
    marmot

Aye, there's the rub. "These are stories..."

I don't believe any of the first few chapters of Genesis was fact, but simply embellished folklore for the moral instruction of its readers. If you go by a literal interpretation, God was the first arms dealer. After all, he put "a flaming sword" in front of the entrance to the garden of Eden, right? Or did Adam invent swords prior to that and God thought it was a neat idea?

• avengers
    avengers
    Where did Cain and Abel get the idea of "Burnt Offering`s?".....They went to my Mom`s house for Dinner!.....Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

You better hope she doesn't read this or you're gonna be next!

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

He was hungry and wanted an excuse for a pig-picking, but then remembered he wasn't allowed to eat pork, so it had to be bah bah black sheep instead, as usual. Making an offering to god was just an excuse for a sheep bbq.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    where did they get the idea of a burnt offering?

Adam's family was killing animals all along, and using everything and anything from them to survive.
    Killing animals wouldn't have been anything new to them, God showed them how to kill animals for clothing.

My thinking : Cain and Abel know God is up in the sky, mom and dad pissed him off, how to please him?
    We will show God that we are not like mom and dad.
    We will use this new thing we discovered called fire it gives off stuff that reaches right up to
    the sky where God lives.We will burn our most valuable possesions
    and send the smoke to him then he will know we are willing to sacrifice our best to him.

why would Abel's offering be better than Cain's offering?

No one gets upset when a cornfield is harvested,
    but let a dog fall into a hole and the fire company comes.

I think God had issues with cain before these sacrifices took place.
    God knew Cain and Abel well He read their hearts and had been observing them for some time.

This was just an opportune time to bring those issues up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit