Bethel- Which Governing Body member had a Nervous Breakdown and why?

by Witness 007 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

{From Watchtower Life story- Please note the pressure put on him at Bethel}

In 1934 Karl Klien had a nervous breakdown while serving at Bethel. Why? Baptized at 12 he didn't go door to door till he was 18...while serving as a teenage Elder! Is life at Bethel that hard. Karl explains: "Rutherford...even though he REPEATEDLY had occasion to REPROVE me for breaking some rule. I remember one time when he gave me a BLUNT REPROOF. The next time he saw me, he cheerily said "Hello Karl." But, because of still feeling hurt I just muttered a greeting. He said "Karl watch out! The Devil is after you!" Embarrased I replied ;"Oh, there's nothing Brother Rutherford." But he knew better so repeated his warning, "That's all right...just watch out. The Devil is after you." {Rutherford mind games}

Were things better with President Knorr? 1950 Brother Knorr invited me..to join the Writting Department. When I told him it did not matter where I served, HE REPROVED ME saying when an added privlege of service is extended we should be eager to accept it. {take it or else} ...my attitude was due to my precarious health,{nervous breakdown} which had always been a problem...Knorr was a few months older than I was, we were like Brothers- with the older brother {Knorr} being prone to express impatients with the younger ones shortcomings."

"In 1974 I was invited to become a member of the Governing Body...I NEEDED ENCOURAGEMENT TO ACCEPT IT."

He goes on to say Fredrick Franz "encouraged" him to accept and he did. Lots of pressure at Bethel to "do the right thing."

• jambon1
    jambon1

2 words - sick bastards.

• R.F.
    R.F.

I don't think I ever read his life story so thanks for sharing.

Being put under all that pressure, i'm surprised a nervous breakdown was all he had.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL....Klein tells it like it is, unlike the jokers in the Moyle trial who made Rutherford out to be a real saintly figure.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I remember reading this story about Karl Klein (spelling is "Klein"). -- BTW Klein means 'small' in German.

Anyhow Rutherford said this:

"That's all right...just watch out. The Devil is after you."

Ironic, it seemed like Rutherford was talking about himself.

And Knorr did this:

When I told him it did not matter where I served, HE REPROVED ME

I thought Klein gave a humble answer - it didn't matter where he served. I thought Knorr would appreciate this willing spirit.But no, he had to slap him down.

For interpersonal relations Knorr, like Rutherford, scored a 0.0.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Indeed. I was told that the devil was after me by a couple of elders and servants. In actual fact, it was them that were the ones that were after me. Bastards.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

If Rutherford had told me, "Watch out! The devil is after you!" I would have told him, "Oh really, Judge? Then maybe I'll go down to San Diego and ask King David to protect me. He's living in the house that you bought him, right? Jackass."

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Deaconbluez called Rutherford a jackass...Rutherford agree's! In the footnote Karl Klien tells us regarding Rutherford's humility.; "Regarding the misguided statements as to what we could expect in 1925 [armagedon} He once confessed to us at Bethel, "I made an ass of myself."

I can't believe Klien's honesty...best Governing Body interview ever!

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

Years of false prophecies and false predictions, and we're supposed to brush it off as a man making "an ass" of himself.

The Bible calls it something different: a "false prophet".

• zack
    zack

Karl Klein was an overrated intellect at best. He was wanted on the GB because the stronger personlities could roll over him. He wasn't a thinker. He wasn't independent. He was a wooss. And he hated Rutherford. That much is true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit