Do you still love the Bible?

by senoj53 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nariko
    Nariko

I'm not sure I love the Bible. I have a Living Bible I still read sometimes but don't know I feel the same way I used to.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Well i have mixed feelings about the bible now i have left the JW org, like you i believed it was the undisputed word of God, perfect, infallable & unquestionable. Since i have left the org i have seen it in a different light, i have questioned it with my own reason and not that of the JW's and now have a much different opinion about it.

As to its truthfulness i think it would be naive to dismiss the entire book as myth because there are historical & archeological records that support many of the happenings that took place as described in the bible. Whether or not it is the word of God you simply cannot prove, but what you can admire about it are its gems of wisdom that it teaches. I particularly like the book of Ecclesiastes where solomon questions the goals, pursuits & eventuality of man and speaks of 'vanity and striving after wind'. I like some of Jesus teachings where he warns against being Judgemental & Self righteous which was beneficial & practical for living back in his day and modern living today.

On the other hand i have developed a negative opinion about the book of Revelation. This book speaks heavily in symbolic terms & descriptions from start to end, how can you possibly decipher any accurate truthful meanings out of it? How can you take 'Harmaggedon' literaly? How can you take the 144000 literaly?

Also the Old Testament, the Mosaic Law, this law seemed sometimes harsh, somtimes silly, sometimes barbaric in its administering judgements to the the people of Israel, and equating this with a loving, caring & just God often seems illogical.

I suppose, to gain a completely solid & thorough understanding of the Bible, you would have to study it for a long time (possibly a lifetime) with no external influence such as JW or other organised religious literature and make up your own mind.

Good post mate, i can empathise with you.

LFCv

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave
    Evolution proved to essentially be an "inconclusive" argument that went no where. Evolutionists don't want to have to explain where it all begin and just want to explain how it evolved after it all began quite mysteriously. That's usually where I get off. But if you pursue this further, it no longer becomes about the process of "evolution" but about the contradiction of the Bible's timeline as to when things started and what the scientists are saying, a few thousand years versus millions, and that argument continues, so nothing is resolved there.

JCanon

Textbooks on the Theory of Evolution that I have read don't mention the Bible or Creationism. They are about Science which is based on observation and experimentation. They present the accumulated body of scientific knowledge which is open to examination and change. They don't pretend to have all the answers but provide a basis for further inquiry. That said, many Christians accept the Bible on faith while acknowledging the sound science behind the Theory of Evolution.

It seems to me you have yet to go beyond the popular literature written by Biblical apologists and the "Evolutionists" who argue with them. I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way, but I think you have been looking for easy answers to ponderously deep questions. There is no reason to denigrate the scientific studies on the origins of life and the universe just because they cannot provide you with pleasing, easily digested answers like those found in Biblical mythology.

To the original poster I will say that once I took in accurate knowledge about the Bible (see Terry's post), I now have no use for it beyond its obvious place in the literature of our culture.

Dave

• shell69
    shell69

Honestly, I do not love the bible.

I resent it.

I resent is and the control its had over my life.

Sorry. If I could think clearly and rationally without the brainwahing interference of the borg, then maybe, just maybe I might have an interst in what the bible has to say.

I'm too damged to care!

Shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit