Do you still love the Bible?

by senoj53 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Like the Santa Claus tale we tell children "for their own good".

Terry makes good points. The Bible is different to different people. It is also
    different in different points in time, and will continue to evolve into something else.

There are Bibles that take away the gender of God. Some water down the unpopular
    point of view that was in there.

As long as language and culture keep changing, the Bible will change. For a fact,
    we don't know exactly what was meant when most of the original writings were
    recorded, or what the editor meant when he changed it.

I chose the Santa Claus comment because that is so appropriate. The tales are
    not anywhere near as old as the Bible, yet Santa has evolved. The reason he wears
    a red suit is mainly because the Coca Cola corp. had a huge campaign using him and
    they used their company color (red) for his suit. Before that, green was the most
    common, although there was no steady standard. Various factors put Santa at the
    North Pole with elves and flying reindeer and various magical abilities. Rudolph was
    developed for the Montgomery Ward company and became folklore when someone
    put the story into a song, later popularized by Gene Autry.

As our culture drops the belief in Santa, he is kept around. He still sells Coke and
    many other products. He will continue to evolve into something useful to selling products.
    Maybe he will become thin when he becomes a spokesman for a diet plan or health club.
    Maybe he will trade in the sleigh for a gyrocopter, or get a suit from Men's Wearhouse.
    He already pushed Jesus out of first place at Christmas, and he is getting pushed out now.

Maybe another Bible will use extreme possible modern-day meanings of terms and be
    just as whacko as the NWT, but fit better into modern culture because it promotes the
    values of that culture. My guess would be a heavier focus on rebellion to the status quo.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Great familiarity with the Bible allowed me to reject it as the "ultimate truth" with confidence.

It definitely has some value.

No book or collection of books is deserving of burning.

Especially not one that so many have gone to the grave for.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

it seems of late I have only been able to see the really ugly things in the bible

such as Moses ordering the slaughter of defenseless women and children AFTER the battle had already been won-- numbers 31

Moses ordering parents to have their own children stoned to death if they got out of line- duet 21

YHWH murdering a baby because he loved David too much to make him accountable for his own crime- 2 Sam 12

YHWH throwing a fit of rage and having to be corrected by a human - Exodus 32:13-14

Jesus telling his follower to slay all those who did not want him as their king -luke 19:27

etc

• architect
    architect

The Bible is here for a reason whether we agree with it or not. Lets face it - it has influenced how we eat, sleep, breathe, think how we treat others- yes how we live! Whether we like it or not - Its the essence of our conscience.

• eclipse
    eclipse

I have to admit that I still do....there are a few passages that move me.

I view it as a diverse collection of scrolls, wisdom and stories written by men thousands of years ago.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Let me respond in a more competent manner.

Do I love the bible? No. Straight up, I have no interest in the book or the people that promote it's alleged divinity.

That being said, the reason I haven't done the "holy roller" thing as I joked in my first post is because I have a problem defacing someone else's holy book. To me it's common interhuman respect.

Edited to add:

Point of clarification, I have no problem defacing or destroying the NWT. Most people here will probably already understand the reasoning there.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I personally never "loved the bible". I thought it was the most boring thing I had ever laid eyes on and still do. A couple of years ago I started wondering about God, should I try to find a religion, should I try reading the bible. I went to several churches and although they were much better than the JW meetings, I just could not get into it. So I tried reading the bible, brought a brand new one. It was the same boring reading I remembered from when I was growing up.

I guess if I was having trouble sleeping I'd maybe pull it out and read so I could go to sleep, other than that it's useless to me.

nj

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    it has influenced how we eat, sleep, breathe, think how we treat others- yes how we live! Whether we like it or not - Its the essence of our conscience

Why would anyone need a book to tell them how to eat, sleep, breath, think, threat others or anything else? Sound very JW'ish to me.

nj

• bigwilly
    bigwilly
    Why would anyone need a book to tell them how to eat, sleep, breath, think, threat others or anything else? Sound very JW'ish to me.

As I stated in my Christianity thread, some people need something to lean on. Need direction, to be told what to do, how to live, etc. Myself, I do not. So this "life guide" is complete bs in my opinion.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Welcome! I agree with the basic principles of humanity. Therefore, I feel that the bible is immoral in the way that it asks people to obey laws that are clearly wrong/harmfull. The good laws in that book are outweighed by numerous laws which are degrading to women and children. It is full of narrow minded prejudice. No thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit