Anyone grow up in a small town?

by RisingEagle 25 Replies latest social humour

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I grew up 15 mintues from a town with pop of 750 !! When I graduated, I moved on to a bigger town of 3,000 on the other side of the county and lived there for 4 years. Now I live in the Jackson, MS metro area with a combined pop of 529,456. ... BIG adjustment...

But so many of those things seemed so true! Charging at the store reminded me -- they still let people charge their groceries at the local grocery store!! The thing about cigarettes also reminded me -- The first cigarettes I bought after I DAed was from a girl I used to work with and she was now working at the curb store!

I think the biggest adjustment for me was going to wal-mart or the grocery store and not seeing a single person I knew. I remember always seeing at least 5 people I knew every time I went into "town". It really is nice to be honest that I have more privacy.

• erynw
    erynw

The small town I grew up in had a Tastee-Freeze, mmmmm, yummy ice cream and every year had a "Crazy Dayz" sale in downtown where all of the locally owned store owners would put out their wares really cheap. It was a huge event every year. We also had a real 4th of July celebration, begin with a huge parade, all day festivities in two different parks, watermelon eating contests, I won a third place trophy for frisbee throwing , and end the evening with a rodeo and fantastic fireworks show. Ah, the good old days.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I grew up in a small village that was just being incorporated into a new town. My family on my dad's side went back generations in the same village, as did most of the other families that were living there. My nan lived next door to us and two of my aunts and uncles lived a few hundred metres away from us. Everyone new eachother and there was a fair bit of gossipping going on, but we could always rely on people for help.

My mum told me she had a hard time when she and my dad announced they planned to marry, as my dad's parents had a village girl in mind for my dad and my mum had come from Wales. Rather quaint by todays standards.

• frozen one
    frozen one

The place I grew up has a population of under 500. It was a great place to be raised. Maybe I'll retire somewhere like that. One thing wasn't mentioned in the list (which made me laugh quite a few times by the way):

When a tragedy struck someone, you brought them a cake or a "hot dish" (a casserole) or some other comfort food and offered to help them out any way you could and you meant it. Even if you didn't particularly like the person and/or the family.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Hey, they still do that in Kentucky. Whenever someone dies in town they will drop off covered dishes and desserts. Funeral food is some of the best food in Kentucky, outside of church.

• Casper
    Casper

All this is so true,

I also have lived in a very small town most of my life.

Where everything is referenced by "THE" one and only stop light.
    We do manage to have an A&W (not the drive in kind anymore) and
    a Dairy Queen.

Years ago we were "Blessed" with a "Drive-In" theater... where
    everyone could be found on the week-ends. They changed
    the movie each night. Really a lot of fun memories there.

Also, everyone lived in expectation of the "County Fair"...
    and still do... :)

We do the funeral food too...and in the summer you can drive
    around and see the "Tent" Revivals going on...

Cas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit