Bible Law encourages pedophilia-really, not a joke. See Deut. 22:25-29

by oompa 23 Replies latest jw friends

• freetosee
    freetosee

The scriptures claim to be inspired of god and tell us about gods doing. I think this is a very poor protection for woman. There are so many detailed laws and rules in the bible including harsh punishments for other matters. But, when is comes to rape, marrying the rapist is the only solution. Was the victim asked if she agrees? Imagine what a terrible life that is.
    Yes, it surly is a man’s book. As a jw I always asked myself, was it not possible to teach the Israelites that the woman has the same value just like she had before she became a victim?
    An elder explained to me, in those hard days the people were not ready for such instructions. I told him that they were closer to Adam and Eve, closer to perfection and aren’t we today living in the last days which are critical and hard to deal with. I also mentioned Lot's willingness to sacrifice his daughters to the mob. Lot’s wife was put to death for looking back, but there is no mention of jehovah’s displeasure over Lot’s behaviour.

Just reading the scriptures shows that the bible was not very effective when protecting woman and their rights.

Deuteronomy did not encourage rape, neither did it do much to prevent it. The victim had to carry much of the guilt and was punished either way.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire
    An elder explained to me, in those hard days the people were not ready for such instructions. I told him that they were closer to Adam and Eve, closer to perfection and aren’t we today living in the last days which are critical and hard to deal with. I also mentioned Lot's willingness to sacrifice his daughters to the mob. Lot’s wife was put to death for looking back, but there is no mention of jehovah’s displeasure over Lot’s behaviour.

Great point! Loved the "we were closer to perfection" line since it's their own theology.

Hey! I'm not defending the bible. In fact, I am a bible-detester. But for the world view they had, those scriptures did protect women from an even worse fate. That they were lacking and insufficient, you will get no quarrel for me there! Just more proof God had nothing to do with it.

• IndependantThinker
    IndependantThinker

Writing this as it sparked a memory of something taught from the Bible in a talk once as good. I haven't looked it up yet since I really don't remember where it was found and wanted to write this before I forgot what I wanted to say.

It REALLY bothered me as a child, my mom poo hooed my outrage in discussing it after the meeting. The account was of an old man who had a young girl who slept naked with him at night to keep him warm as he was supposedly too old to retain his own body heat. Anyone remember that account?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

IT,

This is the story of David and Abishag in 1 Kings 1. The WT missed the obvious euphemism in the basic narrative, i.e. that old David was impotent and the most beautiful girl could no longer "warm him up" (v. 4). Which in turn sets the scene for Adonijah's effort to take over the throne (for in the ancient mindset political and sexual power were deeply connected). Still later Adonijah will ask to marry Abishag and this will be interpreted as a royal claim (2:17ff).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit