Sorry WTS - Higher Ed More Important Than Ever!

by Seeker4 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Definitely education is extremely important. But, as important is integrating the percepts that are taught in school into concepts. It does no good to spend your time going to college only to learn disjointed percepts, which seems to be the rule in school these days. No wonder science is boring these days.

If school was doing its job properly, there is nothing boring about math and science. In fact, it is human nature to want to learn science and math. We were born scientists. And, until school teaches us by rote memory (which is not the way we were meant to learn efficiently), we naturally seek science. Much play is rooted in science. Children are into everything--that is science at work. And, if our schools would take advantage of that and teach integrated concepts, there is no way in the world that our children would be flying paper airplanes and spitballs and causing disruption during science classes.

If we were not taught by rote memory, this excitement of science would last our lifetimes. We would die still getting into things, trying to find out how they work (by then, we would have learned to use that information to create value, and it would be as exciting as taking things apart was when we were little). And, the learning process would not stop after high school. People would learn to think, they would learn how things work, and they would not be afraid of the demons (instead, they would find out what makes these mysterious things happen). This higher learning would go on through college, which would be even more beneficial than it is now; and into our jobs. The learning would never end, at least until we die.

However, as disjointed and preprogrammed college is today, it is better than what the Watchtower Society has to offer. First, to get any decent paying job, you need that slip of paper that says you have completed the programming that college courses offer (and, without that decent paying job, you cannot get a decent lifestyle). And, the disjointed courses are better than nothing at all, even if they are tedious and tend to put one to sleep for poor presentation. I still recommend going to college if one can afford it, if only for these reasons. Besides, I challenge Ted Jaracz to find me a job that pays me at least $100,000 (1991 dollars, to index for inflation) a year on only the "college equivalent" of reading four years of the Asleep magazines like they were equated to. That job also has to be equivalent to the kind of jobs that college degrees offer, not just sitting around doing nothing and collecting the check (or pioneering; that does not count and would be refused on the grounds that it is spreading a pyramid-like scam). And, it has to be ethical--no scam spreading or MLMs either.

• choosing life
    choosing life

A college education today is equal to a high school education a generation ago. Everyone who can should take advantage of a good education.

When I graduated from highschool, one could get a job at any factory and earn a living wage. Usually, only the husband worked, when I was growing up. It's just not like that anymore. Most of the manufacturing jobs went overseas. With globalization, more jobs will be lost.

I went to college while a jw, but it was during the time they said it was a personal decision. I thought they were getting more sensible, then they went back to the dark ages again.

• avengers
    avengers

There is life after ' 75

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw
    The Borg has no problem using fear why not use GUILT.

They already use guilt!

nj

• greendawn
    greendawn

Despite the attempts by the FDS to continue the long time manipulation (the end is so near so what's the point of getting a degree since very soon it will be of no use?) most dubs that are capable of studying for a degree no longer heed this, many of them probably know dubs that took on board this "advice" and ended up in dire financial straits waiting in vain for the so called new system to come. And of course the WTS does nothing to help them or any dub in financial need.

• still_in74
    still_in74

It used to be that higher education wasn’t a necessity, it is now. You don’t get anywhere now without at least a BA."

I see the truth to this more now in my 30's than ever before. I have struggled for years developing my vocational skills to get to the point I am today and I struggle every week to keep enough money in my account.
    I dont waste money, I keep a close watch on all my bills, I dont run up debt. I micro manage my money and I still struggle and while I dont make killer money, I am significantly above the Canadian average wage (believe it or not it is only $32k/year!) at $60K+/year. Plus my wife's income on top of mine and I still scape by. If you live in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver $60K is poverty!
    I have family that have done the 1 and 2 year college programs and are now working full-time to earn a whopping 20-30K/year!

How can anyone even expect maintain a "decent" std of living and save for retirement without at a minimum household income of $100K/year??And at that rate, were not talking BIG vacations and German cars, were talking Cuba and Hyundai's!

I used to say to Elders in my KH when the big crunch on shift work was happening, that for so many years the WTS discouraged secular education and therefore uneducated JW's worked in factories on shift work..... now shift workers are being condemned for missing meetings due to shift work now that secular education is "socially" acceptable. They are working shift work BECAUSE THEY ARE UNEDUCATED!

They had to agree that these had been put in this position by the WTS in the first place.

• R.F.
    R.F.

The R&F defintitely are realizing this.

There are some in my congregation that are in their thirty and fortysomethings pursuing higher education now. There is one brother in my congregation that received his Master's degree last year. Everyone said he should've put more effort into reaching out to become an MS, but he frankly told them that he needed to look out for the best interests of his family.

My parents aren't college educated and they always scraped by. Alot while growing up, there were many times that I wondered if I would end up eating on some days, but it always worked out.

My mother doesn't want me to have to deal with that so she use to say that she wanted me to go back to college. When I told her recently that I wanted to go back she said..."you aren't forgetting about Jehovah are you?" I think she just said that since I stopped going to meetings and obviously planned on replacing time spent on meetings and field service with schooling. She hasn't said anything like that since. Deep down, I know she wants me to go back.

• yknot
    yknot

This is for the lurkers.....

You too can get a college education without the Eldums finding out!

How? Won't there be a decrease in your ministry hours?

NOPE...

Most universities and community colleges offer degrees online. Most courses only require you to go into a testing center once and never is more then an hour!

You don't have to stop with an AS, you can achieve BS and MS, even switch degrees!

But if you are still afraid. I suggest you take a marketing class, that you can count towards improving your FS!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Nice comments. The one about the college educated bros at Bethel reminded me:

When I was an elder another elder and I used to joke that we could encourage the teens to pioneer for a few years and go to Bethel and they'd end up cleaning or in the laundry,

or

we could encourage them to get a degree and apply to Bethel where they'd get a sweet job in the legal or engineering departments!

Ha, we could see the bullshite even back then!

S4

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

The big boys in Brooklyn know whose feeding them, clothing and giving them shelter

This apparent righteous society exists on the promotion of their literature which they are producing, it isn't so much a spiritual thing but a money thing

Their doctrines are convoluted and formulated around their publishing agenda, which taints the whole idea of being spiritually connected to God in the first plaice

Spending allot of time studying and gaining knowledge for the sake of self improvement is taking time away from studying their material with the added possibility

of losing one of their working and producing slaves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit