Are there any here that are Catholic? If so I have a question.

by Irish Rose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• cathyk
    cathyk

I remember being told that they were not jewelry, but was never told that anything bad would happen if they were worn. That's a bit superstitious.

It seems to be common among Hispanic Catholics in this area (NC) to wear them around the neck, but I've just noticed this recently, so I don't think it was an old practice.

Even though I don't think anything terrible will happen to someone who wears them, I still don't like seeing them worn as jewelry. Just a gut reaction. I can see how it would be tempting -- some are quite beautifully made. My mother has a rosary from her wedding day that is just lovely.

Cathy Koenig

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• cathyk
    cathyk

A more charitable thought on the rosaries hanging from car mirrors: some folks do that to have them handy for when they're stuck in traffic -- a visible reminder. I've done it myself. I wouldn't count on them to protect me in an accident (or from accidents). That's not their purpose.

Cathy Koenig

www.oldlighthousebooks.com

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

OK, Cathy, got the point, but if you were in France I would say that you are a bit too charitable. It must depend on the area where you live and I'm pretty sure that over here that practice often borders between superstition and piety, the same way as some keep St Christopher medals in their cars.

• whyizit
    whyizit

I was a catholic in my younger years. Never heard anything about wearing a rosary would cause bad things to happen to you. Just knew that it wasn't a necklace. It wasn't meant to be worn as jewelry.

When I would see kids that were wearing them, I knew they didn't understand that. No biggie! Maybe she was told bad things would happen, because her parents were embarrassed by her insisting on wearing it. It was the only way they knew to get her to stop hanging around her neck.

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

This is a great post for more than one reason. It also shows the complete arrogance invovled in the history behind the Old Testament. Surely the Catholic Rosary is similar to what Israel was asked to do by God. This, along with many other attributes of Israelite living are carried over into Catholicism. In my opinion, nothign wrong with it I suppose. Kind of like the fake beards at the assembly. Dressing up like God's people really looked like when they were God's people, to imitate God's people. Dumbfounding, isn't it?

Num 15:38

Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of each border a cord of blue: Num 15:39 and it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of Jehovah, and do them; and that ye follow not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to play the harlot; Num 15:40 that ye may remember and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

Just to clarify a point in the aforementioned post:

I think the fake beards at the assembly are the most idiotic thing I have heard of.

Using drama to sell more drama.

How Bizarre.

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose
    From what I understand a rosary is not to be worn as a necklace because, well it's not a necklace. I never heard of bad things happening if it is worn as a necklace. I've seen many people do it. Adults say such things to children to discourage questioning and keep them in check (sound familiar? ).

Thank you, I had a feeling that was the answer, but was not sure. And yes, it does sound very familar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit