Are there any here that are Catholic? If so I have a question.

by Irish Rose 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Irish Rose
    Irish Rose

When I was in the 6 grade, I went to school with a girl who was a Catholic. One day she brought to school her rosery beads. Being raised as a JW I had never before seen this thing. To me it looked like a pretty necklace, so I asked her why she was not wearing it. She said to me two things, that I still remember to this day (about 25 years later). "This is not a necklace, but a prayer beads." She informed me. I then asked her why not wear them, it looks like one. She then replied, "If I wear them, bad things will happen." She never did explain what the bad thing would be that would happen.

The only reason why I'm asking is this. The other day, my husband's friend, also a former JW, had given some money to a boys and girls club. And in return they had sent him some red rosery beads. He was wearing them like a necklace, he is not Catholic, and never has been.

Now my question, What bad thing will happen if a person wears the Rosery Beads?

• zeroday
    zeroday

I was raised Catholic and have never heard that...

• Soledad
    Soledad

From what I understand a rosary is not to be worn as a necklace because, well it's not a necklace. I never heard of bad things happening if it is worn as a necklace. I've seen many people do it. Adults say such things to children to discourage questioning and keep them in check (sound familiar? ).

• poppers
    poppers

I was raised Catholic and I never heard any warning about "bad things" happening if the rosary was worn as a necklace.

• poppers
    poppers

Congratulations zeroday on your 1000th post!

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Irish,

Do a search on the history of the rosery. Pretty interesting.

I use to laugh at the concept of a "prayer discipline." Now, I appreciate that thought so much.

Hope all is well,

V

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Congratulations zeroday on your 1000th post!

WOOO HOOO I'M A JEDI MASTER..... I forgot I was that close...

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I've never heard of that, but I understand that it is not a piece of jewelry, but intended for prayer. People who wear it SOLELY as jewelry are not using it for its original purpose.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

No, bad things won't happen if you wear them - unless you wear them in bed and strangle yourself with them maybe!!

In the UK, they are currently a hot fashion accessory so lots of folks are wearing them.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I've often seen rosaries hanging from the inner mirror in cars as talismans. Sheer superstition, just all the way around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit