I phoned London Bethel re Michael Porter / sex offender

by ThomasCovenant 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    I am pretty sure that nearly all JW's would think divine inspiration was involved in the appointment of elders.

That what I was often told. Several times as teenager I asked how that worked. Because I literally thought the holy spirit did something to indicate which brother should be an elder. It wasn't until this one brother told me that they can tell by his actions. So I was like...hmmm...so then its not by holy spirit but the current elders decide? He said no, its by holy spirit.

Thats why JWs rarely question elders, because they think that divine inspiration is involved. In my early 20's I figured that it had nothing to holy spirit. But isn't it interesting how Bethel has an answer for everything but never share these answers with the rank and file. If they printed in a study article that divine inspiration is not involved in the appointment of elders, using those exact words, I believe at least 10% of the folks would walk.

Urgggh...I'm getting angry just thinking about this!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

It is also a core doctrine that all disfellowshippings "are at the direction of the Holy spirit" ( boy,you have just been damned by God himself)

What did I do that was so wicked? I rightfully accused (in private) an elder Gxxxxx Mxxxxxx of being a 'mealy mouth liar' they said that this was a capital offense because the elders are "Christ stars appointed by the holy spirit" and I had blasphemed the holy spirit.-Danny Haszard

I QUESTION the integrity of a lying bastard elder get dfed damned and Michael Poter rapes babies X 12 years and gets shown mercy

• Honesty
    Honesty
    He then said categorically "we do not believe any divine inspiration is involved" in the appointment of elders.

He's right.

The Holy Spirit has absolutely nothing in common with the demonised JW cult.

• oompa
    oompa
    DannyH-

I was disfellowshipped by the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses Rockland Massachusetts Jan 5 1992 on a charge of CAPITAL offense.This Capital offense was so bad that they said that I would be stoned to death if we were in ancient israel.

What did I do that was so wicked? I rightfully accused (in private) an elder Gxxxxx Mxxxxxx of being a 'mealy mouth liar' they said that this was a capital offense because the elders are "Christ stars appointed by the holy spirit" and I had blasphemed the holy spirit.-Danny Haszard

I am fairly new here and I just knew you were going to say you had maybe murdered and elder! That is one pious group of elders you had. Did you try to prove the lie, or was in not provable? Seems like they would have whacked him instead.

unbelievable....oompa

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    TC wrote: He then said categorically "we do not believe any divine inspiration is involved" in the appointment of elders.

About a year or so ago, LDH got a similar response from JR Brown. Seems like that is the response they are telling the press.

Doesn't seem to me that the R&F have gotten that response yet.

Funny. I think she was inquiring about molester, too.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Hoping4Change wrote:
    He then said categorically "we do not believe any divine inspiration is involved" in the appointment of elders.
    This comment seems to be in line with what JR Brown told someone on the phone a while ago. The recording used to be available from a link on this message board but I dont remember who did the recording. I think it was around the time of the Jesus Cano incident. Of course what is in the literature and what gets said from the platform sounds completely different.

Sorry. I posted my comment before reading all the responses. You beat me to it! Here's the link to LDH's thread from June '06: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/115824/1.ashx -Aude.
  • quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Rang bethel just now and asked why Micheal Porter was not disfellowshipped for lying about his past while another bethelite was disfellowshipped because he lied about his past.

I was told

Lying is not a disfellowshpping matter if it has not done any damage and there was no malicious intent

secondly a judicial committe is appointed by Holy Spirit and we must abide by its conclusions.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    That is one pious group of elders you had. Did you try to prove the lie, or was in not provable? Seems like they would have whacked him instead.

The Rockland and Bridgewater Massachusetts elders were not especially pious.I didn't know at the time, that I had stepped onto a land mine when I questioned their integrity as so was everyone else they were in a world of deep bleep for malfeasance with other families.So,when I took them on they ganged up on me thinking they would make me their whipping boy example and because I was aborn in 3rd generation JW that I would come back and get reinstated.INSTEAD I became turned 'apostate' and became their nightmare.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was told

Lying is not a disfellowshpping matter if it has not done any damage and there was no malicious intent

Now there's a lie, right there !! (They'll use the charge of 'lying' to DF you if they don't like you but can't pin anything else on you. I know.)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    The gentleman said that the qualifications in 1 Tim 3 and Titus 2 are inspired by holy spirit and therefore if it appears that a man fulfills those qualifications then it can be said that he is appointed by holy spirit.

Brilliant admission from a Bethel spokesman . That is exactly the way that the more enlightened dubs view it , certainly those in the family that I debate with. It is what we might have said as elders behind the closed doors of an elders meeting. But it is not what the WT prints and officially teaches. There is another doctine for the rank and file publishers

The quote that jwfacts posted up is exactly what they say to the flock in order to maintain the mystique and authority of the elders. Even more recently the W/Tower April 1st 2007 said :

P28 "our heavenly shepherds Jehovah God and Jesus Christ expect us to be obedient and submissive to the under-shepherds whom they have placed in positions of responsibility in the congregation "

P30 "Jehovah God knows that the men he has appointed as overseers are imperfect but ......"

This article used the infamous word "insubordinate" to describe a disobedient attitude

It seems that they will use this approach when it suits their purpose...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit