I have seen prayers read at district convention!

by oompa 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ex Nihilo
    Ex Nihilo

I've seen it for brothers new to prayer, and older brothers that have poor memory. Some people may be anxious. One brother that had bad memory had to start doing it since his prayers were up to eight minutes long!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First to answer the technical problem: If you hit the Submit Post button more than once while waiting, it often will post more than once. This often happens when the forum is dragging, and it takes hitting it three or four times to get it to activate once. Of course, it activates all those times at once, resulting in redundant posts.

As for reading the prayers, this is about as much heartfelt as Milli Vanilli's singing on his debut album. It is all a script to make it sound so real. That's also why the "Keep Moving" and "Quiet" signs--iti s choreographed to make it look like everyone is having the time of their lives, and that is a blatant lie. The talks are all manuscripts, since they have to get them perfect to create the illusion of unity. The prayers are also fake. No one should ever have to pray by reading a card--that is as bad as the prayer wheels of Babylon the Great that they lambaste so happily. Prayer by reading is not prayer at all. Remember--Jesus said that we should not pray by rote memory. Using a cheat sheet is even worse than rote memory.

The closing prayer should, if anything, be limited to 2 minutes at most. All they need do is offer brief thanks for the whole program, ask for assistance in applying the material, ask for assistance where individuals are undergoing personal problems and where persecution and hardship is going on, ask for forgiveness where we flub up, and close the prayer. It would take under 2 minutes, and I bet there would be far fewer children getting spanked after the prayer for disrupting it. No cheat sheets needed, either.

• Ex Nihilo
    Ex Nihilo

When my Dad gave a prayer at the convention, at the last one I was at (last year..I think) he didn't have a card. He didn't know what he would say until he got up there and did a great job of winging it. I've seen known anxious brothers turn beet red and sweat, almost cry.

When my Dad was chairman once, everyone was set up so that if the brother doing the talk fell ill, or chickened out, someone else would have the talk outline to take over.

It sounded very odd.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good catch, oompa.

I've seen it too, and was equally shocked.

Now I'm not.

But at the time I was.

LOL!

• zack
    zack

The only public prayers that I evr heard at any JW function that were actually prayers--- I hate to say--- were my own.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Six in a row, F_F_M?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Multiple posting, it happened to me once as someone explained above if we hit the "submit post" bar more than once when the forum is slow, to get the response through more promptly, we will finally get the post through as many times as we hit that bar.

The dubs may read their prayers mechanically but then mainsteram religions also have fixed prayers.

• mind my own
    mind my own

I have seen them read as well. At the District Conventions.

MMO

• Hermano
    Hermano

Ok, to me this thread belongs under the scandals section. If this is true I WILL BE SO PISSED! I know some talks are scripted. But if they are reading prayers..... I wish I would have heard about sooner. I would've gone to the DC just to check this for myself.

• shell69
    shell69

Always thought these droning loooooong prayers at the end of assemblies were wrong.

All the little kiddies who had sat through 8 hours just wanted to get off home and play!!!

I just wanted to get off home for a drink!!!!!

Shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit