Ramblings of a clean break.

by Ex Nihilo 27 Replies latest members private

• Ex Nihilo
    Ex Nihilo

Hate was a poor word of choice. I didn't mean it so much in that way, it must have slipped my editing. I can't assume how you guys feel in context of ill feelings as that is an internal process that I cannot see.

I don't see "undesirable" points of view as I cannot really discredit anything, since I don't have expectation..that and well, your point of view is just that so technically there is no wrong.

I didn't mean to come off as assuming..... You know what they say about assuming, I assure you, it is not good.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Hey, welcome Nihilo!

After reading your post I think that, if you tried, you could possibly be a tad bit more condescending. Get over yourself.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Here is my take:

You have some incredible parents who are willing to show you unconditional love, that is a rarity in the JW religion.

I also dont think you quite grasp the concept of being a JW, you referred to it as "church". We as JW's were taught to call it the Kingdom Hall and only casually referred to it as church when around "worldly" people who didnt know better.

Your parents are accepting of your atheism? What if you became a born again christian, would they still be so accepting of you?

It sounds like you are one of the few "lucky"ones who have escaped this religion unharmed.

I personally despise this religion, not only for what it did to me, but to also my Mom and other family members. I have lost childhood friends and even an Uncle due to suicide, no doubt the JW beliefs played a part in these senseless deaths.

Also I wouldnt care what anybody tells me, raising children in the JW religion is psychologically damaging. Children need a healthy amount of sports and other activities and they also need to fit in with their peer groups at school, being a JW deprived me from both.

so yes, even though Im no longer a JW, I still feel for those children still trapped in it, and I will do whatever it takes to counter this religion and oppose it.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

EX I got reinstated thinking it was still the truth. But I started reading some of the books that I grew up with Babylon The Great Has Fallen. What child would understand that book! Anyhow, the more I read and compared bible books like with Daniel where the JW write themselves into Daniel's prohesy. I knew they did not teach us the right things according to the bible. I became shocked, and when I found Charles Taze Russell's writings Wow! How could they ever take Jesus words about stones would surely cry out and apply it to Charles Taze Russell. Proclaimers "The stones would surely cry out if it were not for Charles Taze Russell." Do your research and set yourself free. But will you ever be free? That is the problem YOU and all of us suffer from brain washing so now what? We have found like minded ones. As far as agnostic teachings well if you look at some of the older books the Jehovah's Witnesses quoted from them. Did you know in the Truth book they quoted Enoch?

Sure we love what we were taught growing up and long for the past! But the bottom line it is a myth! Start with Revelation Its Grand Climax Is At hand. Tell me what you think? Truth or Fiction? I say Fiction! Johns stars are the elder of the Kingdom Hall? It goes on and one!

So yes you get some hurt souls, agnostic thoughts, debates on scriptures, people reading books like Enoch and Tobit, and pagans, but we are still supporting each other! Why because we have similar backgrounds and no one understand that better than another person with that background.

And yes coming from a Christain background like ours how could anyone turn to pagan thought? Well maybe if you read some of Russell's books and how some of the doctrines changed with time YOU will see why people on here think the way they think.

• oompa
    oompa
    Ex-Ni: but I think that if you want out of the religion and want out there are ways of making clean breaks

Ex, you make some very nice points and you sound so kind/naive, it is kind of refreshing. My 16 year old son had a nice "clean break" called DISHFELLOWSHIPPING! He begged tearfully to stay in, he was sorry, but oh thats right, he had a prior at 13!!! Children are being totally messed up emotionally/mentally by this torrid arrangement. Oh, another "clean break" many make is suicide.

your situation was indeed unique.....oompa

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi, welcome and congratulations on your clean break. My impression is that the majority of people who leave are able to let it go as easily as you have, but we here are among the few who find it harder for various reasons. Mine is the brutality of the way my family treat my husband and I, so I come here to talk about it. I get very sad when people dismiss my pain as if it's something so insignificant.

• freyd
    freyd

QUOTE "When we became witnesses, we swore to accountability. It isn't like some religions that are passive about rules. Witnesses make sure you keep your promises, and remind you 5 times a week of what you made a deal for. So when you quit is not so much a sense of guilt as it is failure."

I think you may have nailed it. There's no other religious venue to redeem oneself. It's not like a bad marriage, where you can just pick another partner. With jw's you have to go for broke. The only thing is that you're not told of the penalties before committing. If you were, many would not make the commitment to the borg. The problem is that those who merely dedicate are held to the same standards as those who consecrate with imperfect humans who are just as guilty sitting in judgment. They have no faith in God's ability to deliver any needed punishment, but take the law into their own hands with devastating consequences. And so becoming part of the loyal opposition is the only logical alternative.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You know, I don't find your thoughts "rambling" at all. They are laid out in a clear manner as logical people will do. I'll tell you why I'm here. I married in to the religion, literally, though I'd never join. Since I live with the wierdness, daily, I come here for a dose of sanity.

A word about the humor, there's some I won't indulge in. I don't refer to it as the "Kingdom Hell" for instance, call God "Jehoober" or call the Watchtower insanity the "Troof". I don't use those particular derogatories, though I do refuse to capitalize "truth". Since I want to talk to regular people inquiring about the religion or newly exited Witnesses, I keep my language neutral and inoffensive. I know why exited Witnesses do, use these words, though. The mocking and renaming takes the sting out of old trigger words. It's a defiant gesture to show that those words don't hold power over them any more. You may be right, however, that years of defiance and mocking may indicate that the ex-Witness has not really moved on.

As a regular Christian, however, I do protest that the Watchtower society itself is not just another church. There are many features about the WTS that make them much more controlling and insidious than the mainstream religions. Leaving the Witnesses has a much more serious social impact on the individual than leaving a regular denomination, for instance.

• unique1
    unique1

When your parents shun you merely because you say you don't want to be a witness anymore, it is a completely different ballgame. I am their only child, yet I am now an orphan.

• oompa
    oompa
    Unique1- When your parents shun you merely because you say you don't want to be a witness anymore, it is a completely different ballgame. I am their only child, yet I am now an orphan.

That is so sad that your parents would rather be barren, than have to have a nomal/any relationship with you. I know you miss them and I will be damned if my dfd son is going to be an orpan. He has and can be a real pain in the ass, but I still love to hug him and tell him I love him and he is now 21.

keep trying to crack your parent nut......oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit