Did you ever choke while offering prayer?

by Jourles 24 Replies latest jw friends

• bbdodger
    bbdodger

Any women get called on to pray at book study, or the meeting before field service? What did you use to cover your head in the presence of men??? I remember a couple of times when women had to offer prayer, but I cannot remember the scenario in which it happened.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Nevermind, I thought the topic said something about "choking one off while praying", my bad

• Gregor
    Gregor

Tell them you offered a silent prayer. Jehovah reads your mind right?

I went through a period when every time a group prayer was being given by someone and my eyes were closed, head bowed, a random thought would go through my mind completely without my control, or so I thought. It was a phrase silently spoken as a shout- "Jesus Christ was a sheep f----r!". It used to concern me and I worried I might say it out loud when I was offering the group prayer. Never did though.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I conducted the meeting for field service with a baptized brother present, but deferred to him for prayer. He is severely mentally challenged...and mean and angry. It was all sisters that a.m. with the exception of this brother. None of the 'appointed women' (pioneers) would conduct, so I got stuck with it. He was so angry, he was standing right by my chair, rocking back and forth and pacing. (He felt HE should be conducting.) I thought he might hit me.

I went to say prayer, and one of the pioneers said that he needed to do it because he was male. Apparently, a retarded man outranks all women.

On an unrelated note, this guy used to play the piano at the KH...until one Sunday, he messed up and got so angry, he started pounding and pounding on the keyboard. It was great!

Justitia

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I choked with anger once while offering a prayer before service.

The idiot brother who was there had his privileges taken away so the sisters had to do the service arrangement themselves. I figured being the youngest one there (18?) someone older would do the prayer.

Hell no, the self-richeous biddies thought I should even though the brother was a friend of mine and I was terribly embarrassed for him and pissed at him for even putting us in that position. Sorry Para but your mother was one of them and even ran out to the coat room to get the lovely rain hat for me to wear.

I think they couldn't decide if the brother should do the prayer or not and none of them wanted to take the chance on angering God or WTS or who ever.

Bobbi (who will never wear a plastic rain hat ever again)

• Hermano
    Hermano
    On an unrelated note, this guy used to play the piano at the KH...until one Sunday, he messed up and got so angry, he started pounding and pounding on the keyboard. It was great!

Awesome story! I just busted out laughing at work, they must think I'm crazy.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I hated offering prayer, but never choked. There were a few phrases so ingrained as to allow me to spout them ad nauseum: "dear loving heavenly father, we come to you tonight to: beg forgiveness for sins, thank you for undeserved kindness, appreciate the spiritual banquet prepared by faithful and discreet slave, lament that we're poor bastards unfit to give public prayers, pray for perseverance in times of trial, be thankful for the kingdom, etc. etc." These phrases were repeated so much as to lose all meaning.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

Kind of off topic but Para will laugh at this story.

My Mother used to complain to me that none of his family used "Jehovah" in their prayers. She said it was a sign that they weren't really spiritual. I started paying attention and they do use god's name just not all the time.

FIL gives nice prayers.

Bobbi ( waiting for Para to flip out)

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

No, but i hated saying prayers. It felt so false churning out the same sh*te every time, repeating the same words you used before and everyone bowing their heads in an over the top show of piety. It was awful.

• TIMBOB
    TIMBOB

NO, but one time for saturday feild service, I dont know why or how I made it, but I was so hungover and probly still slightly drunk from the night before. Of all the times, the conductor asked me to conclude with prayer, I had no idea what I was saying, then just ended the prayer with AMEN. no through jesus or anything. I got done then everyone just look at me. I was like oh crap. Did feel a little bad about it. But, have laughed about about it many times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit