What happens when a Witness does not vote in Australia

by jwfacts 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I received the following email, and gave the reply. It think the points are important so worth being considered.

Im not a Jehovah, but I do have a very good friend who is ... we were both wondering what happens to Jehovah’s in Australia if they do not vote, since in America they do not have to vote. Do you get fines? What happens if a Jehovah Witness goes against the teaching of you religion and does vote?

Thanks for your enquiry. In Australia, there is a small fine of about $20 for not voting. However, when they send the fine you can get out of paying by claiming to be a “conscientious objector.” On the form, a Witness would write something such as “I wish to exercise my right not to vote as a conscientious objector. We recognize that only Jehovah is our king. We support no other government as these shall soon be destroyed. Daniel 2:44”

In regards to voting, the Elders Book (ks91-E) pp.96,140 says;

“They do not interfere with what others do as to voting in political elections, running for or campaigning for political offices, joining non-neutral organizations, shouting political slogans, and so forth. (w86 9/1 pp. 19- 20; w68 6/1 pp. 351-2) Since true dedicated Christians are "no part of the world," if a member of the congregation unrepentantly pursues a course in violation of his Christian neutrality, he thereby disassociates himself from the neutral Christian congregation. (John 15:19; 17:14-16; w82 1/15 p. 31)”

However, this was changed in the Watchtower 1999 11/1 p.28, with voting becoming a conscience matter.

“As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah’s Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State.”

As Jehovah does not direct the Watchtower Society, it constantly changes its rulings. Jehovah’s Witnesses have been fined and jailed for not voting. Others have been disassociated for voting, loosing their family and friends. In Malawi, thousands of Witnesses were killed for not holding a political card. Now, the Watchtower has changed its mind and said it is not that bad after all. It shows just how dangerous religious institutions such as the Watchtower are, that claim to act for God and manipulate its members.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I remember getting my first $20 fine for not voting... I wrote out an explanation with scripture citations about how as a JW I follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and will not support any earthly government although I will abide by their laws, etc, and they accepted that in lieu of payment. The next election came about the time I was starting to get discouraged with the JWs - I just couldn't summon the mental energy to write that stuff again, so I paid the fine.

• ness
    ness

im voting at this election for the first time in my life.

in the past ive either written out an excuse or paid the fine...no biggie

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

voting is fun - I rather enjoy it although anyone I vote for is doomed to lose the election.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux
    voting is fun - I rather enjoy it although anyone I vote for is doomed to lose the election

that usually means your voting for the right candidate.

• ness
    ness

yeah, im thinking i'll vote for a minor party too...Dems maybe. i cant bring myself to voting Greens or Family First

• brinjen
    brinjen

1998 election was the first one I participated in.... I've never voted for the winning party. Before that I just wrote the explanation and got off paying the fine.

I wasn't aware the WTBTS had new light on the matter, I wonder what made them change their mind?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This will be my first Federal Election. Earlier this year was my first State Election. It was so confusing for me, I had no idea who to vote for, or that I would be expected to tick so many boxes. I think the lady there was quite amused at how ignorant someone my age could be about voting.

I guess the change in stance against voting is similar to that on alternate military service and blood - a way to avoid legal responsibility and gain more recognition politically.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

Always vote for the one that got the least favourable press coverage.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

If you don't vote don't you get a Boomerang in the head by the Prime Minister?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit