Were You Treated Unfairly In The Congregation?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

There is clearly a caste system in the Organization. There is a pecking order. Certain classes of people did not associate with those not of the same ilk. The "brotherhood" is very divided.

If you were a sister, you automatically were lower in rank than a 10 year old baptized boy. If you had an unbelieving family, you were somewhat "damaged goods".

If you shared a Hall and you were part of the "Spanish" congregation, the English Hall would look down on you.

If you were a professional full time Ministerial Servant who would never ever make elder, you and your family were considered inferior.

If you Regular Pioneered, you might be considered as desirable. But if you only Auxillary Pioneered and you could Regular Pioneer, you were not viewed in very high esteem.

If you took the Circuit Overseer and his wife out for an expensive dinner and gave him a "gift", you could be assured an assembly part. But if you did the best that you could and gave more modest provisions for food and /or gifts, you might be easily forgotten.

If you refused a scholarship, you'd be the star of the Circuit but if you went to college, you'd be disdained.

The identifying mark of a Christian---love--- is not a real commodity in reality.

• oompa
    oompa

Minimus, your perceptions are dead on. I may recall an actual list here recently of such a ranking system. I also feel race, and money factor in as well.

at least it is down south...oompa

• Hermano
    Hermano
    If you shared a Hall and you were part of the "Spanish" congregation, the English Hall would look down on you.

So true!

• minimus
    minimus

In the Hall there were also those who were looked down upon because they weren't as smart as another...... If someone was very studious, it could be either a very good thing or a bad one. It depended upon who it was and how they showed their research skills. If an elder's wife brought out a good point of interest and didn't stick to the WT. publication, she was praised. But if someone with no influence made the exact same comment, they'd be critiqued for not sticking to the paragraph!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

our p.o.'s wife used to answer at every service meeting. she would take one paragraph, and write out like a 5 minute answer. all the brothers knew if she raised her hand, they had better call on her. i remember one time, a brother overlooked her. you could see in her face how pissed she was. she was nuts.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

in my first congo after baptism YES

One of the elders had 1 few son-in-laws. Guess who got to pray from platform.

When appointed MS -guess who got to do Bible Highlights, Instruction Talks, Service Meeting Items etc

Guess who got to clean the restrooms.

NEPOTISM at its worse

In my next congo I got treated very well and fairly

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

Well I had a non-believing parent ... makes me damaged goods.

Never pioneered ... looked upon with disdain.

Liked to dress nice ... automatic "materialistic" label.

Paid much attention to my schooling ... frowned upon.

How many categories does that put me in?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

White Elders wife said to my wife in a joke type way: "I can't believe my sister is marrying a nigger." My wife is ethnic/european and was highly offended...I stood there like a stunned rabbit...we are in a mainly 95% white congregation. Brothers would turn away when you aproached them. One brother would shake my hamd with enthusiasm...then if I ask him "hows your family" he would look at someone else and excuse himself and leave...many times!! This is definatley the worst cong. I have ever been in. People we invited to dinner 20-30, yet no one calls you over even for a coffee. My wife doesn't get invited to "white" sister night outs. I have slowly grown to hate them all. I never cared much...but my wife wants friends. In the end I just left. My wife is carying on.

• minimus
    minimus

Ah, yes, NEPOTISM.....The Congregation Servant's (in the 1960's) nephew, went to college against the advice of every Witness. He found a girl that he asked to marry while there. She came to some meetings but HATED "The Truth". She was so adamant about her hatred that he decided to break up the relationship and look for a new woman who would be only a Witness. The result?? He was given "privileges" galore. And when the elder arrangement came out shortly afterward, he was one of the first ones appointed. His uncle guided him to the top in a shockingly short period of time!

Eventually he had kids of his own who left the "Truth" and his daughter became a lesbian. He was deleted because he couldn't properly care for his minor kids and now he's a retired high school principal.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Also in my last Cong. I was working back stage at the circuit assembly and I heard 3rd generation Elders sons who were Pioneers using racial terms when talking about brothers in the audience.. I was 18 and it blew me away...at the assembly no less.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit