Court okays lawsuit against WBTS lawyers for alleged ‘deceit’

by Tatiana 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Bethany died in September of 2002, seven months after being diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer, and two months after doctors stopped her court-ordered chemotherapy, which was supported by blood transfusions, because the treatment wasn’t working. By then she had had 80 blood transfusions.

John Doe said:

Sounds like an unreasonable case to me.

It sounds like it is not a bursting dam, but just another finger plug for another hole in the dam. It doesn't
    sound like a winner of a case, but still the principle is important.

I am happy to see cases like this going forward. It may establish some precident, but would unlikely
    result in much money as the girl had received 80 transfusions and still had little hope.

• Mary
    Mary
    Speaking generally, Justices Peter Martin, Jack Watson and Frans Slatter commented in their per curiam judgment released Aug. 31 that “it is not at all clear to what extent a religious adherent can convince another person to take actions for religious reasons that will cause him or her bodily harm or even death, even if the religious belief is sincerely held.

These guys should attend the meetings at the KH for about 6 months. That would give them a pretty good idea as to 'what extent a religious adherent can convince another person to take actions for religious reasons that will cause him or her bodily harm or even death'.

This particular case has always confused me though. Bethany had the blood transfusions right? But she ended up dying anyway. Is there any evidence that in her particular case, the transfusions would have saved her life?

• Gayle
    Gayle

This case is interesting. I don't know if Lawrence Hughes has a good case of what Brady and Gnam encouraged Bethany to do as far as rejecting blood transfusions any more. However, it could have an impact to the Hospital Liason Committees elders in the future on their purpose and how careful they will have to be to not lead patient's for fear of a possible lawsuit against them personally later at some point. I think the HLC is basically set up as a control device by the WT Society. But if some of those elders would get some concern about 'their individual' accountability of possible lawsuits in the future, perhaps some might would consider stepping out of that position. I will be following this case. At least it will make a point for lawyers and HCL to be very careful and mindful of not over-stepping and over-guiding JW patients.

• zack
    zack

It seems a very narrow legal argument: The kid had a lawyer who did not offer her the advice and counsel a lawyer has a duty to administer. It isn't about the sincerity of his beleifs, or the

possible success/failure of the medical protocol, but about HIS CONDUCT viv a vis his legal obligation. Religious belief is not a sheild against the improper discharge

of a fiduciary duty and negligence should be decided by a fact finder: JURY TRIAL

I hope they toast his ass and take his law license.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

even if the lawyers loose their license, this will be a win

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit