Jesus is the answer!

by startingover 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lalliv01
    lalliv01

Eliveleth, you asked:

Were you a JW?

Yes; baptised in 1957 at the age of 11. Was a school servant until the elder arrangement came about at which time I was appointed as

an elder in a spanish language cong. Later I attended English languge cong. for my kids benefit, was appointed elder there. Later, went back

to spanish language cong. and was an elder there. Was a PO in both congs. and I can tell you, there is no special power or authority with that

position, you're just a bigger target.

Wife and I quit in 1989. We have been living a quiet and wonderful life. We quit because there is a lot of envy and jealousy there and because

it seems like they're all spying on one another, ready to turn you in. My wife used to get so angry when I would tell her that a the elder meeting

it was brought to my attention that one of my kids was seen singing thanksgiving (or other holiday) songs in school. That used to burn her up.

She would say,"these nosy people ought to mind their own children and business and leave my family be, we don't go around snitching on other

peoples kids, or tell our kids to spy on other witness kids! " She was baptised at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena in 1963. We married in 1964 (so young

and naive) but we're still together. She's my best friend. She knows everything there is to know about me and vice-versa.

We just quit and we told all to leave us in peace, alone. We don't bother anyone and we don't want anyone bothering us. We are in peaceful

terms with everyone and they are friendly and respectful with us. Once in while, one will ask when we're coming back. There would have to

be some big,big changes for me to even consider it.

I'm just learning how to get around a computer. I think it's gonna give me ulcers, it makes me so angry. Just kidding about the ulcers,life is

too good for that.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Serotonin W

Your last post would make sense if you weren't trying to be so sarcastic. If you experienced your chocolate dragon in that manner, then who am I to argue with you that it wasn't real. The experience is more than a feeling, however. It's more than just a warm fuzzy emotion. But, hey, your experience is your experience and that's all that can be said.

• journey-on
    journey-on

And another thing, Sero, if millions of others have had similar chocolate dragon experiences over a period of centuries, your belief in him, might have more merit.

• Gregor
    Gregor

And another thing, Sero, if millions of others have had similar chocolate dragon experiences over a period of centuries, your belief in him, might have more merit. Good point. Chocolate Dragons indeed! I think you just made that up. Not like worshiping the sun since the beggining of recorded history. Now that belief has got some credibility.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

This discussion board has taught me one great lesson. None of us know anything. We may think we do, its all a theory, a perspective, a belief of something or nothing. I gave up my christian ideology long before coming here, realizing if the God of the bible was real, he was one mother f*@*, megameanie of the universal playground. But that's the point, its my opinion, right or wrong, as long as we all agree to respect each other, who the heck cares? After all, being told you're wrong and we are right is what brought most of us to this board in the first place.

Person A, I believe in Christ and the Bible.

Person B, I believe in a Higher Being.

Person C, I have no idea what I believe, still checking it out, maybe something is out there, somewhere.

Person D, you are all morons, God doesn't exist, wake up!

In the end wouldn't the world be a better place if we all cared less what other's believe and more about believing in others? Just my two cents.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I can see everyone's just going to make fun of me. I keep hearing that faith should be respected and yet in my case it isn't. What a big double standard. If I could prove the chocolate dragon to you I would, but if there was proof then it wouldn't be faith. Everyone used to think the world was flat so that shows if most people believe something, it doesn't automatically make it true. If you think you've experienced the holy spirit you're wrong- that was the fire of goodness. You can't disprove the chocolate dragon.

• journey-on
    journey-on

You're absolutely right, Sweetstuff. But this IS a discussion board. I think most of us here know that what we put forth is our own personal experiences and philosophies and no one can know for a certainty what is and isn't The Real Truth. We may banter back and forth and disagree, but so far, imo, no one has been disrespectful of anybody else's opinion. I'm open to the ideas of others. But, I also have to consider my own life's experiences and so do you. The one thing I think I DO know is that the God I believe in is not the God Jehovah's Witnesses teach Him to be. I'm not even sure it's the God of the Bible. So, I journey on.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

You're absolutely right, Sweetstuff. But this IS a discussion board. I think most of us here know that what we put forth is our own personal experiences and philosophies and no one can know for a certainty what is and isn't The Real Truth. We may banter back and forth and disagree, but so far, imo, no one has been disrespectful of anybody else's opinion. I'm open to the ideas of others. But, I aqlso have to consider my own life's experiences and do you. The one thing I think I do know is that the God I believe in is not the God Jehovah's Witnesses teach Him to be. I'm not even sure it's the God of the Bible. So, I journey on.

I agree its a discussion board, I certainly wasn't suggesting people shouldn't give their opinions or suggesting that anyone was disrespectful towards anyone else. Your right, my ideas are shaped by my experiences, as are everyone else's. I was simply stating like you have, that being open minded and listening even if we dont' agree with each other is the absolute best part of being part of the board. learn. Keep journeying on, I know I am.

• startingover
    startingover

I've been gone for a few days. Thanks for the comments everyone.

Back to what I originally asked: Has anyone been influenced to believe in Jesus by reading these exchanges on discussion boards such as this? How about being influenced to non-belief?

It seems to me belief in Jesus just doesn't happen from reading the exchanges taking place on discussion boards and more than likely the opposite takes place much more, like it did for me. I personally believe believers believe because their brain is wired that way, just like one person may be good at mathematics and someone else isn't. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. After much comtemplation, I realize that my brain is not wired for a faith based beleif system and to be raised in an environment where that appears to be the only choice, it's not a good thing.

That being said, I would like to personally thank all those that presented me with a reasonable, logical option that did not require faith. You know who you are. My life is so much more meaniful now.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

lalliv said: Yes; baptised in 1957 at the age of 11. Was a school servant until the elder arrangement came about at which time I was appointed as

an elder in a spanish language cong. Later I attended English languge cong. for my kids benefit, was appointed elder there. Later, went back

to spanish language cong. and was an elder there. Was a PO in both congs. and I can tell you, there is no special power or authority with that

position, you're just a bigger target.

Wife and I quit in 1989. We have been living a quiet and wonderful life. We quit because there is a lot of envy and jealousy there and because

it seems like they're all spying on one another, ready to turn you in. My wife used to get so angry when I would tell her that a the elder meeting

it was brought to my attention that one of my kids was seen singing thanksgiving (or other holiday) songs in school. That used to burn her up.

She would say,"these nosy people ought to mind their own children and business and leave my family be, we don't go around snitching on other

peoples kids, or tell our kids to spy on other witness kids! " She was baptised at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena in 1963. We married in 1964 (so young

and naive) but we're still together. She's my best friend. She knows everything there is to know about me and vice-versa.

We just quit and we told all to leave us in peace, alone. We don't bother anyone and we don't want anyone bothering us. We are in peaceful

terms with everyone and they are friendly and respectful with us. Once in while, one will ask when we're coming back. There would have to

be some big,big changes for me to even consider it.

I'm just learning how to get around a computer. I think it's gonna give me ulcers, it makes me so angry. Just kidding about the ulcers,life is

too good for that.

Lalliv,

So you were baptized in 1957 and were an elder in the Spanish cong. as well as English? My husband and I were in the first Spanish congregation in the San Diego area in the early 60s. He was a servant (elder) from 1947 until just before we left in 1983. So glad to hear that you and your wife left at the same time. It is so much easier. I see a lot of posters here who still have mates in and somethimes it is heartbreaking to hear what they are going through. Joe was food overseer for the Spanish in 1963 at the Pasadena convention. Did you live in So. Cal? Are you still there? Its good that you can still speak to the witnesses. We are so well known in the Sacramento area that if they know who we are they will not speak to us. Even if we just say our last name, they may not know us personally, but our name is enough. We are the notorious "apostates" of the Sacramento Valley. What do you believe now?

I am seeing so many XJWs who have given up on God and are either agnostic or atheist. It is a shame that when an organization claims to be "God's representative" and abuses people, that God takes the rap for their behavior. When we left the org., we did not go to church for a while, but have tried 3 in the past 15 years. Now we just live our lives and serve God without any organized religion. There is a lot of politics and control in every one. We are a lot happier now.

So good to hear about your experiences.

Love and hugs,

Velta

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit