Interesting-Account Servant uses his own $ to pay bills

by Younglove1999 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

About a month ago we were invited to an old friend from our old congregation to attend a bonfire. This was before we finally started telling people were weren't going to meetings.

At any rate, my husband was talking to the guy who took over the accounts when my husband left and he was saying that donations have dwindled significantly. In fact, it got so bad that he called the electric company the day they were planning to shut off power at the kingdom hall and gave them his own credit card info to pay the $300 bill because he knew there was a meeting that night and didn't want it to get canceled. That was 3 months ago and there are still no funds to reimburse this guy. Apparently, he's not the first brother to fork over money to cover bills for the hall this past year. However, the worldwide preaching work box nets about $2,000 a month which they have to mail directly to the Society. And will the society help this congregation who needs help to cover bills? Hell no. They're on their own. All they can do is have "friendly reminder" parts at the meeting asking the brothers and sisters to donate to the KH fund.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    All they can do is have "friendly reminder" parts at the meeting asking the brothers and sisters to donate to the KH fund.

Without saying to stop putting the money into Worldwide Work, they can say it is needed locally.

"Brothers and sisters, our contribution to the WWW is $2000 for the month. That will be acknowledged by the
    WTS. Our local contributions are only $100 for the month and our local expenses are $500, so we have a local
    deficit of $400 for the month. If we do not correct the situation, there will not be any lights or heat here. Please
    make sure you are putting your donations in the intended box, so that it is used properly."

What you describe usually happens with the BOE and the MS covering the expenses. One guy shouldn't take
    it upon himself.

• Scully
    Scully
    Apparently, he's not the first brother to fork over money to cover bills for the hall this past year.

You're right about that. That's what happened to the vast majority of the inheritance someone I know received from his parents when they passed away. He was the accounts servant, and we'd always hear how the congregation needed to step up to meet their financial obligations. I found out that he personally covered the congregation's deficits for years and years and was never reimbursed.

• metaspy
    metaspy

If that were me as the Accounts servant, I would have me and my assistant switch boxes.
    I never in 4 years of being accounts servant ever had the WWW exceed the local box in the course of a month.
    Therefore, I would assume that they had put the money in the wrong box.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    he called the electric company the day they were planning to shut off power at the kingdom hall and gave them his own credit card info to pay the $300 bill because he knew there was a meeting that night and didn't want it to get canceled.

I hate storeis like this. The accounts servant shouldn't have to dig into personal savings to save a meeting, for goodness sake.

He could have just "left matters in Jehovah's hands" to see what would happen. The meeting would have been cancelled, and the congregation would have been forced to do something collectively about it. Or just disband.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

In halls that I have been in, it was sometimes announced that the brothers should donate to the local congregation first and formost and that way if there is a surplus, a donation can be sent to the WWW via a congregation resolution. It sounds like that guys congo. just doesn't know how to do it. It's his own fault for not making that announcement that so many other halls have made.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

In halls that I have been in, it was sometimes announced that the brothers should donate to the local congregation first and formost and that way if there is a surplus, a donation can be sent to the WWW via a congregation resolution. It sounds like that guys congo. just doesn't know how to do it. It's his own fault for not making that announcement that so many other halls have made.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It is sad and a little sickening to hear stories like this of a sincere JW who uses his own money to pay congregation bills. I guess all those poorly educated and underemployed JWs cannot afford to put money in the box. Right? Unless, there are so many of them that are angry about their circumstances that they refuse to contribute and are keeping their thoughts to themselves.

Something is wrong with this picture.

LHG

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

A principle I came up with I like to call Concentric Improvement.

Handle your self, your own house, then your neighborhood, then your city, etc.

Congregation before World-wide work.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

excuse me...

Younglove1999 said

"...to attend a bonfire..."

W H A T ??????

That sounds SO PAGAN to me!

Were they burning copies of "Crisis of Conscience"?

We now return to the subject of the discussion:

Has "Brother Irrational Generosity" set his stop-loss point, or does he intend to keep throwing good money after bad ad infinitum?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit