What is a "pony"?

by Mystery 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mystery
    Mystery

After a few responses; i will tell you what the circuit overseer told my mom (and the others out in service) the definition of “pony” is.

I can not find his definition anywhere on the internet or in the dictionary - maybe someone can enlighten me on the definition of "pony".

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

A pony is any of several different horsebreeds with a specific conformation and temperament. Compared to horses, ponies often exhibit thicker manes, tails and overall coat, as well as proportionally shorter legs, wider barrels, heavier bone, thicker necks, and shorter heads with broader foreheads.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

"Big Pony, Little Horse?" from Atlantic Horse & Pony

HORSE vs. PONY? It's a matter of semantics. The distinction used to be known in the English language only. (The word, some say, derives from the Celtic "ponaidh", meaning "small horse".)

Fjord horses, like Haflinger horses, Icelandic horses, Duelmener horses, etc., are called horses because the languages of the countries of their origin had only one word for equine. Any of these words translate in English simply as "horse".

Unfortunately, over the last 50 years or so, other West European languages have adopted the British word "pony" and introduced all the associated confusion with it. The generality, "Europe, Fjords are classed as horses..." is not true. It depends on who's talking and for what purpose the speaker is classifying.

In popular use, as well as generally in equestrian competition, "pony" is used as we do over here, purely as a distinction in height. Fjords measuring less than 150 cm (59 inches or 14:3 hands) at the wither, as well as Arabs or any other horse of similar size, are labeled "ponies".

But in Britain, the use of the word "pony" is twofold. Next to a statement of height, it is used as a statement of content, irrespective of measurement at the wither. "Ponies" in this sense have to possess characteristics of mind and body which are not found, or are strongly reduced, in other domestic horse breeds.

Almost all native horses of Asia are "true" ponies in this sense, as are many breeds in Eastern Europe, some in Scandanavia, many breeds native to the British Isles, and one in Ireland.

Ponies are superior to other horses in their capacity to survive and procreate without human interference. Moderate size is one of those things which help the animal to survive when feed is scarce and of low quality, but there is much more to it.

Exceptionally sound legs and feet (compared to other horse breeds), a sturdy frame (which enables true ponies to carry more weight for their size than other horses), powerful jaws to grind up coarse feed, a gut capable of digesting such fodder efficiently, and (for pony breeds from Britain and other places in norther climates) the ability to grow a good layer of fat for the winter and a dense winter coat, all combine to help the pony survive and raise foals without or with a minimum of human assistance.

Short legs make for a low point of gravity and surefootedness. Ponies are noted for fertility, longevity, quick wits, and the ability to take good care of themselves (which also benefits the rider, most of the time).

Pony-sized horses of breeds like Quarter Horses, Morgans, Arabians, etc., are not "native ponies". They do not share the native pony characteristics of body and mind to the same extent and, therefore, pony fanciers do not think that they should be called ponies at all, no matter what size they are.

Fjord horses, on the other hand, possess all the characteristics of a true pony. Yes, a Fjord is a horse, and a very able one like most true ponies. Every pony is a horse. Not every horse, even a pony-sized one, is a pony.

• JK666
    JK666

It was a version of the Ford Pinto (a.k.a. Bomb).

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

around here , in low company a pony is understood to refer to :-

Noun. 1. £25 sterling.
    2. Rubbish, nonsense. E.g."Our team are a load of old pony and don't deserve to be in the final."
    3. An act of defecation. E.g."Can you wait for me? I need to have a pony."
    * Versions 2 and 3 are from the rhyming slang pony and trap meaning 'crap'. See 'crap'.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Pony = £25

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It's a small horse, under 15 hands. Generally, ponies have a bad attitude. They have "short man's" syndrome.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    * Versions 2 and 3 are from the rhyming slang pony and trap meaning 'crap'. See 'crap'.

I learned something new today!

Thanks, BluesBrother.

• Clam
    Clam

I learned something new today!

Thanks, BluesBrother.

Hehe Nvr - the "less polite" term is an Eartha Kitt. Clam

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    "Can you wait for me? I need to have a pony."

LOL! I'll be using that in my daily speech now.

BTW, I thought that was supposed to say "sailor" instead of "pony".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit