To rem: Re: Keirsey Personality Types

by Esmeralda 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AMarie
    AMarie

Esmerelda:

What a coincidence. I also took the Keirsey test some time ago and came up as an INFJ (idealist, Counselor). My dear bf, Phil, rated as an ISFJ. It's amazing how a set of multiple choice questions can describe your personality so well.

• Seeker
    Seeker

As with Xena, I came up as NF, idealist. I've taken this test in the past, years ago, and although I don't recall exactly what I got back then, it wasn't the same as this time. It involved idealism, but I remember I had four letters then, INF? I think. Whatever, I'm certainly an idealist, no question. This NF type does a fair job of describing me, I think:

I do get enthusiastic, don't know if I trust my intuition or not, yearn for romance all right, "seek" my true self naturally, definitely prize meaningful relationships, and who doesn't want wisdom?

Everyone thinks of themselves as loving and kindhearted and authentic. LOL.

I tend to be giving, yes, and trusting, definitely, and spiritual? Not at all.

Do I make an intense mate? Not for me to say.

Am I naturally drawn to working with people? Not in the least.

There you have it. Some right, some wrong. Overall a fairly accurate match.

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda

Hey Seeker,

The reason you only get 2 of the letters in the online test now is because they want you to pay for the full version of your results (which are much more indepth, and accurate. The shortened version generalizes the 4 types of each catagory, that's probably why you feel so much of it didn't fit. The long one would fit better.)

Even the short form is cool though!

AMarie, can you believe that Counselors make up less than one percent of the population? I'd say that that fact proves what I've known all along, that I'm weird but if I said that then it'd sound like I think you're weird too, which I don't *LOL*

And they said that Counselors are GOOD with words?

Need coffee. Badly *LOL*

*hugs*
    es

• Seeker
    Seeker

Ah, I understand now! Thanks for the explanation.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Use this one: . http://www.haleonline.com/psych/
    It works too, and the same results, all four letters.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "Those who know, don't say, and those who say, don't know."

• detective
    detective

I'm also an idealist. Strange that there are three listed here so far when you consider how they aren't supposed to be that common. Coincidence?

"Idealists are rare, making up no more than 8 to 10 percent of the population. But their ability to inspire people with their enthusiasm and their idealism has given them influence far beyond their numbers."

• Seeker
    Seeker

Mulan,

OK, I tried your link and got all four letters...different letters....:

INTP

You're on a quest for logical purity...you're motivated to examine universal truths and principles...always asking "Why?" and "Why not?"...can focus with great intensity on your interests...you appreciate elegance and efficiency in thought processes and demand it in your communication...

Yep, that's me.

You might appear low key in appearance and approach, you're hard as nails when challenging a truth...you don't like to deal with the obvious...at your best when developing unusual or complex ideas...you can be an under- achieving but very capable student...if you don't like a rule, you're quick to challenge it and find flaws in it -- this could make you somewhat of a rebel...if you like the rule, though, you have a respect for it and go along with it...

Yep, that's me.

A relentless learner in areas that hold your interest...you might seem "lost in thought" to others...you tend to connect unrelated thoughts...you would rather be the architect of a plan than the implementer of it...you need a private, quiet workplace that allows for flexible independence... would rather organize ideas than people....

Yep, that's REALLY me.

You tend to stay away from traditional leadership roles, and would rather lead with your ideas...you don't get emotionally involved, but rather tend to follow logical reasoning.....leisure has two dimensions to you: first, you like to concentrate and reflect on conceptual matters -- second, you like to take risks in the external world (like skydiving?)...

I do avoid leadership roles when possible, though I seem to be a natural leader, but the rest of it isn't like me at all. Not at all. Not even close this time.

You like to read, think, watch TV, play with computers..(and post on the Storm Palace message bases).. sometimes you'd rather do these types of things than hang around other people...you don't necessarily like "best sellers" or "must see" movies because you don't trust people's opinion on what's "popular" and would rather make a value judgment for yourself....

Yep, that's me.

Love, for you, has three distinct phases: falling in, staying in, and getting out. falling in love is a loss of rationality for you, and you fall HARD...an all or nothing phenomenon....

Well, not quite that extreme, no.

The "staying in love" phase is where you start to evaluate the relation- ship's structure and form. You may withdraw at this point because you're moving toward your most customary inward style and nature. A lot of the open affection stops....the giddy state changes... The "falling out of love" part (which doesn't always happen) results from an analysis of the real expectations of the realationship and needs of the relationship. Often an undefined line is crossed that neither of you knew about in advance. However, if you end it, you'll keep the relationship going as a friend in some capacity if you have a reason....

Nah, I tend to evaluate before falling in love, not after. This paragraph isn't me at all.

Pitfalls: don't focus too much on the inconsistencies of others...try being friendly and showing appreciation of others...being competent is very important to you, and you could be too hard on yourself....don't let your emotions take control -- you could have outbursts or appear hypersensitive...

I can be sensitive, and I do focus on the inconsistencies of others. I am NOT too hard on myself, being very easy-going. A mixed result on this one.

So, there you have it. I am either an NF, or an INTP, or a little of both since both sorta describe me and sorta don't describe me. How would I describe myself? As a cynical idealist, a hopeful existentialist, an easy-going intense person, a serious humorist.

• rem
    rem

Essie,

Thanks for starting this thread. I haven't been ignoring it. I just got my wisdom teeth pulled last Friday and I can finally make a somewhat sensible contribution. That vicodin really jacked me up! ;)

Perhaps we like these personality tests because we have a couple of the rarest personality types out there. These tests help keep us from feeling strange or odd - someone undertands us! :) I know I was impressed about how every little bit of my personality was explained (especially in more detail in the Please Understand Me II book). The description was almost 100% accurate for me. I'm so shallow! :)

I'm an INTJ, Mastermind. My wife is an ESFJ (Provider), so we are almost completely opposite, but pretty well matched.

I found another Jung - Myers-Briggs online personality test that seems to be pretty accurate. This one will give you all four letters and seems to be more accurate than the one Mulan provided:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

I came out INTJ on this one too. Funny because the first time I took this test I was still a JW and that was more than a couple years ago. I guess my personality has stayed pretty constant. I think my pesonality type had some to do with my leaving the org. I'm willing to question authority and I'm extremely rational, so if things don't match up with facts, then I'm not impressed. I'm also willing to suspend judgement on new ideas - I'm usually not married to an idea or a theory - so I'm willing to look at both sides of an issue before making a decision. I think that is why I was willing to check out "apostate" information, no matter how much the Society's literature demonized it.

Happy testing!

rem

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Slow day at work....

This test pegged me to the core.

I took the test that Rem recommended at

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

I'm an INFJ

The Counselor Idealists are abstract thought and speech, cooperative in reaching their goals, and directive and introverted in their interpersonal roles.

Counselors focus on human potentials, think in terms of ethical values, and come easily to decisions. The small number of this type (little more than 2 percent) is regrettable, since Counselors have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions.

Although Counsleors tend to be private, sensitive people, and are not generally visible leaders, they nevertheless work quite intensely with those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues. This type has great depth of personality; they are themselves complicated, and can understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust. With their loved ones, certainly, Counselors are not reluctant to express their feelings, their face lighting up with the positive emotions, but darkening like a thunderhead with the negative. Indeed, because of their strong ability to take into themselves the feelings of others, Counselors can be hurt rather easily by those around them, which, perhaps, is one reason why they tend to be private people, mutely withdrawing from human contact. At the same time, friends who have known an Counselor for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that they are inconsistent; Counselors value their integrity a great deal, but they have intricately woven, mysterious personalities which sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors have strong empathic abilities and can become aware of another's emotions or intentions -- good or evil -- even before that person is conscious of them. This "mind-reading" can take the form of feeling the hidden distress or illnesses of others to an extent which is difficult for other types to comprehend. Even Counselors can seldom tell how they came to penetrate others' feelings so keenly.

Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena and to have visions of human events, past, present, or future. What is known as ESP may well be exceptional intuitive ability-in both its forms, projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found frequently in the Counselor, and can extend to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance.

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Skipper is apparently an: INTJ

----------

You are a strong individualist who seeks out new angles or novel ways of looking at things...enjoy coming to new understandings...insightful and mentally quick...but this quickness is not always obvious to others since you keep a lot to yourself...you're logical and analytical and ingenious..

You are very determined and trust your vision of the possibilities, regardless of what other people think...you are VERY independent...you are quiet yet firm....You're a damn perfectionist!!

Appear serious and reserved... might be labelled "brains" by others...you probably do/did well in school because you set internal goals for yourself.. being sociable just isn't worth your time and energy...unless there's a purpose for you...you don't like bureaucracy icky because you have to fit into other people's systems and not your own...

You might be frugal unless the money is spent on something you value (like education or a Storm Palace subscription)...you learn best when you can design your own approach...you have a thirst for knowledge..you probably enjoy lectures, libraries, courses and so on...

You are highly independent, and continue on with your plans even in the face of data that might suggest to others that it's no longer feasible... independent individualist....surprised when others don't see your visions the same clear way you do...a job well done doesn't need comment, it speaks for itself...you like decisive and intellectual people...

Man! You're one hell of a relentless organizer! ....tough-minded... once you make your mind up to do something, nothing can stop you.... even your leisure is planned, regualar and disciplined....you tend to avoid fads...you tend to choose partners in your love life who have an outward zest....you keep your affections private, and don't always share 'em with your partner..

You can be intense in your love...generous with gifts if it fits into the ideal the way love should be...when scorned, you retreat into your own world and may share none of your hurt feelings with anyone...you look for the "right" way to end a relationship...

Things to watch for: let go of impractical ideas....don't get so tied up in future thoughts that you ignore the present; you could be surprised... don't ignore the impact of your style on others..not everyone functions the way you do....you might criticize anyone who doesn't match up to how you think they should be...don't become obsessed with unimportant details... demanding...critical...

INTJ: "It's Not Thoroughly Justified"

Yep, my ex-girlfriend accuses me of being all the above and more. LOL!

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit