For all you Jesus freaks out there.

by Shawn10538 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Which scriptures are the best for describing just exactly who Jesus is? Thanks for playing.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

John 1:1 - 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Titus 2:13 - while we wait for the blessed hopeā€”the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn5AYE2BTis

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Shawn do you really believe you can call us (believers in Jesus Christ) freaks and expect to get answers like that in a snap? And let me tell you something....furthermore it is not a game!!!!

Go call your mother or father a freak and see how they would feel. You are very disrespectful!

Hibiscusfire

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Where I come from, hibie, freak can be a compliment.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

What nvr said, hibiscus.

I mean, doesn't the Bible itself call Christians "a peculiar people"? :)

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Oh God, this is gonna turn into one of those believers v. non-believers threads.

I think we need a better... language or terminology. Because people are going to be on the board and still have theistic beliefs and need to be respected (Freaks even offended me and I'm not even a christian) BUt also allow those who have went through a struggle with dealing with those same theistic beliefs to express themselves. 'Cause yeah sometimes i need to vent and roll my eyes at stuff but...

Yeah, I dn't think you'll get the answer you want calling out the Jesus Freaks. Or maybe you will and somebody with a nice good christian heart will put aside the crack and give you the answer you want... if you really want to hear it 'cause it just seems like your poking the bear.

And here thats a Big Bear.... A bear that can expand to at least or 7 pages if you aren't careful.

• Twitch
    Twitch

And the band played on,.......

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

About Jesus Freaks:

I remember my mom picking up a hitchhiker once when I was a little kid. He had long hair, a beard, and was wearing a long white robe and sandals. He said he was what people were calling a "Jesus Freak" in those days. I thought he was the coolest: kind, gentle, radiating love and peace.

My mom "witnessed" to him the whole time he was in our car. When he got out, he was still kind, gentle, radiating love and peace. I was definitely impressed. lol

From wikipedia:

The terms Jesus movement and Jesus people were coined by Duane Pederson in his writings for the Hollywood Free Paper. The term Jesus freak was originally a pejorative label imposed on the group by non-Christian hippies, but members of the Jesus movement reclaimed the phrase as a positive self-identifier.

Though still a part of the broader hippie movement, the Jesus movement was partly a reaction against the counterculture from which it originated. Some people became disenchanted with the status quo and became hippies. Later, some of these people became disenchanted with the hippie lifestyle and became Jesus people. [citation needed] However, the Jesus movement kept many of the mannerisms and styles of the hippies, but changed the cultural content to reflect their newfound Christian faith. For example, the Jesus people gave hippieslang a Christian spin: "free love", [citation needed] instead of designating a rejection of traditional morality regarding sex, became the free (agape) love of God and people; phrases like "One Way" supplanted the focus on the individual with a focus on God, and; "Just Drop Jesus" replaced "dropping" acid or being "high on Jesus". It also became quite common to speak of "Truckin' with Jesus" in place of the Biblical term "Walking with the Lord." When inquiring of someone's well-being, it would often be said, "Oh, he's TRUCKIN'" meaning that he is doing really well. Many of this movements adherents were hippies; former drug-users, drinkers, prostitutes, wiccans, and music enthusiasts. They mingled well with other church goers for a long time.

The movement as a whole was characterized by a resurgence of brotherly love and kindness during an era in which society was being torn apart by the Vietnam War, venereal disease and other social maladies of the day.

The Jesus movement was part of what some consider to be the Fourth Great Awakening, one of the periodic shifts in religious thinking that have occurred throughout American history.

And about Jesus, peace be upon him:

He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; (He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable; So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"! Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. --Qur'an 19: 30-34

~Merry

• Uncertain
    Uncertain

Re the expression Jesus Freaks:

Yesterday I attended a service at "lifechurch." Enthusiastic, friendly, positive folks. When I looked over the program today, I saw that lifw church is an Evangelical Covenant Church. A search on Google led me to their own web site and to a Wikipedia entry. It mentioned them in connection with the Jesus Freaks of the 1960's and 70's. I'm old enough to remember the movement (nevermind just how old) and I recall those folks as VERY enthusiastic but coming from a sound doctrine. So, thicken up that skin and understand that in the original usage, it wasn't so bad.

• What-A-Coincidence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit