Brain Damage Plagues Thousands of GIs

by freyd 32 Replies latest social current

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm not understanding how an article that describes the plight of the soldiers is interpreted as being anti-soldier.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

I'm not understanding how an article that describes the plight of the soldiers is interpreted as being anti-soldier.

I agree..until this.

I feel sorry for these poor brainwashed young men. So many come back home disillusioned, crippled for life, and for what really? They have been indoctrinated from the day they were born by church and government that to fight for ones country is the right thing to do, to not question authority, and obey orders. We need to get government propaganda out of our schools and teach these kids a more accurate history of the world and especially american history without all the biased bullshit.

A combination of condescention, assumption and stereotyping coming from someone who spent decades being led around by the nose, but who can apparently identify "indoctrination" in every one else other than himself.....

If a person spends their life "indoctrinated" as a JW, systematically categorizing and writing off entire populations of people on a whim...is this what they are destined to become once they leave?...an ex-JW who does the same thing, yet calls eveyone else indoctrinated?....pathetic

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I hear ya Way?

But that was frankiespeakin's opinion.

The article is what I was referring to.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

emy the infidel

That article doesn't bash the troops.

Why do you choose to misrepresent it as such? Did you misunderstand it, or did you not read it and made a false assumption? Or were you deliberately lying?

Also, consitency is all very well, but relevancy is also a good idea.

Accidental deaths in the use of a nationwide transport system are not comparable to deaths resulting from deliberate enemy activity in an extra-territorial combat zone.

As regards troops being indoctrinated, hell, the level of innaccuracy in American's (whether soldiers or not) beliefs about 9/11, Iraq, etc. is such that one either has to say American's are under-educated idiots (which I don't believe) or that there are people actively trying to mislead them. Known falsehoods are accepted as facts and if you are not careful about your media sources you can end up very misinformed (or ininformed) about contrary opinions to official policy.

Examples?

Despite deep public dissatisfaction with the Iraq war, the highly anticipated report by a bipartisan panel proposing new policy options for Iraq did not register strongly with most Americans. Only about half say they heard even a little about the report released last week by the Iraq Study Group led by James Baker and Lee Hamilton, while about as many (47%) say they heard nothing at all about the group's recommendations.

http://www.globalethics.org/newsline/members/issue.tmpl?articleid=12180619562530

Despite being widely reported in the media that the U.S. and other countries have not found any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, surprisingly; more U.S. adults (50%) think that Iraq had such weapons when the U.S. invaded Iraq. This is an increase from 36 percent in February 2005.

Sixty-four percent say it is true that Saddam Hussein had strong links to Al Qaeda (the same as 64% in February 2005).

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=684

So, on the basis of this, although anyone going into the line of fire might qualify as 'brave;, if they are a statistically representative American they are probably under one or more mis-conceptions about the reasons why they are there.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    As regards troops being indoctrinated, hell, the level of innaccuracy in American's (whether soldiers or not) beliefs about 9/11, Iraq, etc. is such that one either has to say American's are under-educated idiots (which I don't believe) or that there are people actively trying to mislead them.

When people make sweeping generalizations about the military and each individuals motivation, one would have to conclude that either that person has had no prolonged personal exposure and dialogue with individual soldiers or that they have been trained by their parents or religion to look at the military as a single entity devoid of individuals. It is possible for soldiers to represent both political parties, disagree with the current administration, and continue to soldier despite personal misgivings. That is part of being a professional.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

WAY,

A combination of condescention, assumption and stereotyping coming from someone who spent decades being led around by the nose, but who can apparently identify "indoctrination" in every one else other than himself.....

If a person spends their life "indoctrinated" as a JW, systematically categorizing and writing off entire populations of people on a whim...is this what they are destined to become once they leave?...an ex-JW who does the same thing, yet calls eveyone else indoctrinated?....pathetic

We all are indoctrinated be it from religion or the state, I'm surprised you can't see that. A soldier must be indoctrinated to obey orders, and the "state",, in order to perpetuate itself must indoctrinate it's citizens to fight and defend the state. What's so hard to understand? I admit I'm not completely immuned from indoctrination I recieved from infancy but I'm working on it. One thing I will never do though,, is to let the government tell me who to kill for its political interest, and that's exactly what is happening in Iraq when you see thru all the political mumbo jumbo, and soldiers are just a pawn in their game.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    One thing I will never do though,, is to let the government tell me who to kill for its political interest, and that's exactly what is happening in Iraq when you see thru all the political mumbo jumbo, and soldiers are just a pawn in their game.

Frankie...then your beef should be with the administration, not the soldiers...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I have no beef with soldiers, I feel pity for them, we are all pawns of the government when you come down to it, it just that they have fallen victim to the indoctrination and therefore risk getting crippled or killed for often many worthless causes, and then get a big kick in the ass by the government when they are no longer useful.

What kind of honorable treatment do they recieve from the government when they are crippled for life and can't get a job? Or they suffer post tramatic stress that leaves them unable to provide for themselve or thier families? (which is even more common when fighting a war that is unpopular and they recieve no hero's welcome when the get back home.)See:Skip ahead about one minute:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6739952071333817322&q=The+Wisdom+of+the+Dream&total=201&start=20&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

• Who are you?
    Who are you?
    we are all pawns of the government when you come down to it,

We are pawns of the government if we don't vote...the elected officials make up the government. As Americans we all have a say in who gets elected. The price that America paid for the tens of millions of people who didn't get off their ass and vote, is the current administration. Apathy and finger pointing is what has gotten us to this point. I hope you've registered to vote Frankie.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

WAY,

We are pawns of the government if we don't vote...the elected officials make up the government.

I don't follow your logic. If we vote or if we don't we are still just pawns. If what you say were true then all the people that voted should not be pawns.

The way I look at it if someone is worth voting for I will vote, but so far I never come across anyone I thought deserved my vote. Mostly you only have 2 chioces and they are merely just 2 sides of the same coin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit