Ex-Father-in-law dies...

by Jim_TX 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

My ex-father-in-law was a nice fella. When I was married to his daughter, he was always thoughtful and kind. I'm not one to ever want to borrow money, but there were a couple of times that I just had to. He willingly loaned me money - which I repaid, with interest. He was grateful for that - as his own kids rarely repaid loans from him.

Anyway... he was a hard worker - even after he retired. He owned several bat-wing tractors, and did lot cleaning/mowing for the city and private individuals. He was out on Thursday evening, finishing up a lot and his tractor bumped a tree stump (or log). Inside were many bees - and they swarmed him. Evidently he hopped off of his tractor, and ran - but they stung him to death.

His memorial will be held later this afternoon at 1pm. I am going to go - as a gesture of support - for him.

I have many thoughts on this... some of which are not necessarily nice... but I will not post them.

Well... here is one. His family - didn't start looking for him until the next day - after noon. *mumble* *mumble* *grumble* *grumble*

This is a fella who was 74 years old - and always went home. *more mumbling*

It happened Thursday evening - when - no doubt - his wife was at one of her 'meetings'. *even more mumbling*

Charles - you will be missed by many here locally, including me.

The one thing I will say - positive - is that he died doing what he liked to be doing - out on his mower cutting grass.

Regards,

Jim TX

Links to info on him (I hope this okay to post)

obituary - http://www.legacy.com/sanantonio/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=94086039

news story - http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA090707.beeattack.b04e6cc4.html

(be sure to watch the video associated with the news story.)

• Gayle
    Gayle

I am sorry about your loss. Certainly very sorry about the circumstances. It is very good of you to go to the funeral. Usually the funeral talk at the Kingdom Hall is very disappointing on a personal level as usually not much is said about the "individual" but just becomes another sermon. I went to a funeral at the Kingdom Hall many years after I quit, for a friend who also quit many years previously for her mother's funeral. After the funeral, her grown grandchildren were very angry that their grandmother was hardly mentioned. But, I was glad to go and support my friend. Of course, they try to be encouraging and state that the individual will be resurrected 'soon'. They said that to me and my family that our mom would be resurrected 'soon' - that was 37 years ago! Now, I find for me the hope that she's been in a better place already all these years instead.

• Younglove1999
    Younglove1999

sorry for your loss-

I think it's great that you're going to the funeral despite that it's being held at the kingdom hall. It's not about the religion when someone dies, it should be about the person.

• fresia
    fresia

Must be hard for you, being out of the family so to speak. but you both had a good relationship and that in itself is something to be grateful for.

Hope you will be ok and that you will saver the funeral and think of all the goodness that came out of youre knowing him and him you.

all the best.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well, since I've already heard the 'funeral' talk - I am not going to be staying for that 30-minutes of disappointment (JW-promotional). What I plan on doing is going in early - like 30-minutes prior, and signing the guest book - and perhaps verbally expressing my condolences - then leaving.

All that they will be having there at the KH - is the lecture (from their infamous 'outline'). The actual body... I think they might have cremated it - as he was in poor shape afterwards. This is just my guess - as in the obit - there is no mention of graveside services afterward.

Regards,

Jim TX

• mouthy
    mouthy

That is sad. How is the x wife taking it???

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

James, didn't you just see him recently while driving? Seems like I remember you posting something about that.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "That is sad. How is the x wife taking it???"

Dunno. I don't have anything to do with her since we got divorced. She's still a JW though... so you can only imagine what they would normally feel/do - in such circumstances.

I don't think Charles' wife is gonna grieve much... well... not at first. She didn't love him anyway - and slept in a seperate bed in a different room in the house (hence - part of the reason she didn't 'miss' him till afternoon the following day). *grrrrrr*

"James, didn't you just see him recently while driving? Seems like I remember you posting something about that."

Yes ma'am, I did. He was out mowing/clearing a lot near where I live. But, he had a crew with him, too. This is what puzzles me - he was evidently alone on this last job - or had dismissed the crew for the day, while he stayed out there working.

We all live with regrets. One of mine is that I didn't stop and chat with him when I saw him there that day.

Regards,

Jim TX

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sorry to hear about this, Jim. I think you are doing the kind and proper thing going to the 'pre-funeral' part of the service for him.

It sounds like he found some 'killer bees' - is that the case? Either way, such a sad note to a nice life. Condolences to you, as clearly he was a man of importance to you.

Jeff

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

How tragic, Jim! I am sorry for your loss.

I think it is so thoughtful of you to want to go and sign the guestbook and put in a nice, friendly appearance to show you have risen above the JW shunning garbage.

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit