Luke 6:29-30

by Anti-Christ 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greendawn
    greendawn

Heathen if one can disarm an intruder rather than kill him in a struggle that is preferable, killing an aggressive intruder is obviously the last resort once all other possibilities don't exist, he refuses to run away and rather poses a deadly risk.

The way I decode those pacific expressions of Jesus is, never initiate aggression, be peaceful with the peaceful and be ready to tolerate unjustified aggression way beyond what your insticts would like but then again not to an absolute degree.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

hi again Anti-Christ

Okay, good point but why did god wait so long to change an eye for an eye, to love your enemies and turn the other cheek?

Honest answer - I have no real idea why He waited so long!!

I have learned though that when the 'eye for an eye' rules were first introduced, they themselves were a step up on what had previously been considered 'ok' for revenge, which is why God set those limits, ensuring that nobody took more revenge than was 'deserved'. The Jewish teachers however took the laws too literally - much as it seems from replies here that the WTS did with the verses from Luke - and this excluded any sense or possibility of mercy/leniency. So when Jesus spoke these words, I imagine he was again 'upping the ante' (as well as giving them a swift kick in the behind lol!).

So perhaps the long wait was down to Him having to wait for the right cultural climate/setting and stability to be developed.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Now we know this not to be a historic fact don't we

So why should the rest of it be ?

The true knowledge about God is not found in the old testament.

The truth about God is is displayed in Jesus Christ.

Luke 17:25-26 (King James Version)

25 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.

So I guess that makes Jesus a liar, you know what you are not making any sense to me so this will be my last reply to you. How can you say one part of the bible being true and a other being wrong and still believe it's from god? you know what, you don't have to answer that.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Hi Anti-Christ (for real?). You asked me to comment on this...

Well technically, maybe.

Thanks for your comment.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    So perhaps the long wait was down to Him having to wait for the right cultural climate/setting and stability to be developed.

Or maybe it developed on it's own.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    I have learned though that when the 'eye for an eye' rules were first introduced, they themselves were a step up on what had previously been considered 'ok' for revenge, which is why God set those limits, ensuring that nobody took more revenge than was 'deserved

Have you heard of the code of Hammurabi? You might find it interesting.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    And by no means is one to presume the "cheek" here is a reference to the buttocks. Christ was not saying is at the Kingdom Hall some aberant elder slaps you on the cheek you're supposed to turn around with a gay grin and present him the other one to slap, perhaps taking off your belt to hand to him with a wink. That's NOT what this is about. Of course, if the elder is kinda cute and you're a young single woman, you might want to turn the other cheek in that case, but make sure he's single and actually interested in a relationship first!

!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Or maybe it developed on it's own.

Quite possible too!!

Does that necessarily mean that God (assuming He exists and is 'involved') didn't have an influence on it's development?

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Does that necessarily mean that God (assuming He exists and is 'involved') didn't have an influence on it's development?

I think it is possible. Maybe he/she did, maybe he/she did not.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I think it is possible. Maybe he/she did, maybe he/she did not.

Stalemate then!!

Have you heard of the code of Hammurabi? You might find it interesting.

Yes I have. It was written about 400 years before the torah came into being (whether oral or written form) which, if Biblical chronology is roughly correct, was about the time Israel would have been heading into Egypt? Since the Hammurabi and similar codes mostly originated around 'Babylon', could it possibly be that Israel only picked up on these codes once they left Egypt - 400 years later? (Note I'm trying the 'development by itself' theory here)

Disappearing for the night again now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit