How to fade successfully?

by Maddie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

I want to fade from the org but I am not really sure how many meetings I should miss to begin with. Is it best to decrease them gradually or go once a month?

I have a son and baby grand daughter that are JW's and belong to a different congregation. They are the only reason that I don't disassociate and try to make a clean break.

I found out through research the truth about the borg and do find it very distressing carrying on living a lie, but would be heart broken to lose my family. It is such a cruel and wicked thing to threaten us with losing our loved ones in this way. In my case I experienced the death of both my parents by the time I was 15 years old and did not have any other family to turn to.When I learnt the "Truth" I thought that it was so wonderful and felt that I had found the family that I had never had. As time went by I began to see that all was not as I thought it was and I saw other JW's being treated in very unloving ways and I began to see that everything (love, friendship, compassion), were all conditional on loyalty and obedience to the WT Organisation.

Since discovering through research, that the WT are false prophets and a cult that use very sophisticated high control techniques, I have gone through terrible emotional experiences (still am), but know that I must get out! I want to get my son out too, more than anything but know that it will be such a hard thing to do as at this time he is a very active JW.

It is such a relief to have found you all and to know that I am not alone so thank you all for being here.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Save your sanity, go...

• bluebell
    bluebell

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/34518/1.ashx

the art of fading by expatbrit :

In October of 2000, I faded away from the Watchtower. Like most people, I have family and friends who are JW's (including my wife and parents). Fading is generally the best method for people in that situation. With the recent exposure of the Watchtower's coverup of child abuse, I think that there might be many JW's who will now be convinced that the WT is not the true religion, but a high-control cult. They may be ready to take the final step of moving away from the Watchtower, but be held in by family and social ties.

So, for those who have gone through the process of fading, what worked and what didn't work?. Here are my thoughts on fading techniques. Some of these I used successfully, and some I wish I had thought of in hindsight. Feel free to add and disagree!

Preparation for fading.

Firstly, it must be acknowledged that fading is not a rapid process. We are talking years rather than months for the entire process. In fact, certain aspects of fading may never end. Some preparation can lessen the stress and hassle later.

Avoid a hostage situation

Therefore, before beginning to fade away, it is important to start cutting as many ties as possible. Most JW's are heavily involved with other JW's socially and sometimes in business ventures too. Obviously, the more ties of this nature, the harder to fade without others chasing you or checking up on you, or using these ties to hold you hostage within the organisation against your will. So a gradual process of withdrawal from business ventures with JW's, and replacing these with non-JW arrangements will give you far greater freedom. It will mean that you are not a financial hostage to a JW boss or partner.

Socially, it is important to begin building a new non-JW network of friends and acquaintances before losing your JW network. So joining clubs or hobby groups, going out with people at work, and generally increasing contact with people is a good idea. This will make it harder to make you an emotional hostage when the time comes.

The general rule is always to operate from a position of strength, and never advance unless these flanks are covered. Even your JW family are included in this. Reducing some contact with them now, lessening conversations about spiritual things now, will pay dividends later.

You must also come to terms with the fact that your fade may not work, and this will have serious consequences. Bringing yourself to accept the possibility of these consequences can take a long time. I knew by the end of 1996 that Watchtower doctrines were a bunch of dingo's kidneys, yet it took several years to accept that leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses might mean losing my wife, my family and most of my current lifestyle. Only once I was sure that I could survive such an eventuality did I feel ready to commence the fade.

All of this must be done gradually, so as not to arouse suspicions and concerns in local elders or JW family members. It could take months or years, depending on individual circumstances. Naturally, there will be a lot of frustration involved. After all, you don't believe the WT is God's organisation any more, or you wouldn't be wanting to leave. I found it extremely difficult to sit through meetings, go in service, give talks etc, not believing in any of it any more. I felt a hypocrite. Often I would go home from meetings with a stomach twisted by the frustration of not being able to say what I really felt. But this is necessary to a successful fade, and so must be accepted. Often I would spend the long meetings planning and reviewing the next steps of my exit, so as to emphasize to myself that this was not a permanent process, and that the frustration served a purpose.
    Once you have your other life in place, then the real fade can begin.

The fade

The hollow person

Again a general rule is that the better you are known, the harder it is to fade. This is why many people, including myself, have found that moving location is a great help to fading. The best scenario here of course is just to disappear, but if you are in a position to do that you probably don't need to fade out slowly anyway. Occasionally, people have managed to get hold of their record cards, or arranged to have them sent to the address of a helpful friend. This way the new congregation secretary has no idea that you are now in his territory.

Even if this is not possible, there are advantages to moving location. In my case, we moved into another territory. I could have stopped going immediately, but I felt that this would merely have aroused more curiousity in the local elders. They would have called around to see the new publishers to encourage them. What I did was to attend meetings and service for a month in a lacklustre fashion, being there but not really getting involved. After that, I made meeting attendance sporadic for a couple of months, and then stopped altogether. This meant that I had introduced myself to the elders and made the impression in their minds of being semi-weak and therefore not worthy of much attention. The idea being that, by the time they noticed I was gone, some time had passed and it was much easier for them to let it go than chase me. Given that I have had only one halfhearted visit in the two years since, it seems that this has indeed been the case.

Remember that elders are busy people, and use that to your advantage. It may be possible to wait for an advantageous time when there are other problems in the congregation or with their own families distracting the most pro-active elders.

If you cannot move, then the fade should be stretched out. Again, you must create the impression in the minds of the JW's that you are weak, bordering on bad association (without actually going so far as to attract unwelcome attention). Make it a mild relief for them when you dont turn up for service because of your slightly worldly talk. Become unreliable with ministry school talks and any other duties. Slowly resign these duties, but don't give any concrete doctrinal reasons for doing so. Using poor health is a good excuse. Another is hinting at personal problems with other individuals in the congregation (without letting on who they actually are).

Play the Watchtower's game, but not by their rules

What about family? If you live with them it will be virtually impossible to do all this without them asking questions. Again, disagreeing with doctrine or expressing doubts about the governing body will be counterproductive and may result in your family involving the elders. I made the mistake of having several intense discussions with my wife about the changed generation doctrine and my doubts concerning the Watchtower's competence in science and history. It accomplished nothing but bad feeling. Fortunately we were distracted with moving at the time, or she may well have involved the elders.

A tactic I found useful when under interogation from my parents was simply to say that "I needed a break to re-examine my beliefs and study to make sure I knew the truth." This is suitably vague. It uses JW trigger phrases like "the truth" which reassures them you still are still part of the collective (and how could you ever discover that The Truth is not the truth?). It also gives them hope for the future which allows them to postpone forcing an unpleasant confrontation now, and as you know, JW's are highly conditioned to indefinite waiting for the fulfillment of their hopes for the future.

Another thing that has worked for me is to say that "everyone should have the freedom to practice or not practice a particular religion without being persecuted for it, which is what the Watchtower has often fought for." Turning Watchtower techniques and buzzwords around in this way will often head off pressure.

Recognise that it is extremely unlikely that your family will follow you out. There are success stories of this kind, but the majority of the time this is not the case. Not only that, but be prepared for some unpleasant and hurtful comments. For instance, it is likely you will be accused of being "materialistic" or "arrogant" or "bitter". You might be told that you will never be truly happy or successful outside of The Truth. Developing a thick skin is absolutely necessary when this happens. Responding in kind will merely lead to the failure of your fade.

After the fade

You must accordingly be perfect

It is entirely possible that after you leave the Watchtower you will be periodically unhappy and bitter. And for good reasons! You are dealing with enormous changes and stresses! Fortunately these negatives tend to be shortlived, and more than offset by the freedom you now enjoy from continual fear and guilt conditioning. But, it is a sad fact that allowing your family or former JW friends to see your down times will not be a good thing. For them, it spells o-p-p-o-r-t-u-n-i-t-y. They will see an opportunity to try and get you back into the Watchtower, and will use emotional leverage to this end. If you're depressed, they'll remind you how you can only have true happiness in The Truth. Lonely? Satan's world is a cold place full of hate. Sad? Think how sad Jehovah is not to see you at the meetings! Fed up at something in the news? Don't you want to see all these problems solved? All of these have been used by my family when they think they spot a chink in my armour, and the fact that such comments merely added to my temporary negativity didn't even enter their minds.

To avoid this emotional manipulativeness, you cannot be anything but happy, purposeful and confident around your JW family. Instead, use your new worldly friends (who hopefully have a far more benign agenda) as your ranting board. Even better, join an xJW board like this one and rant away to people who understand!

A final reason to be Superperson is to prevent your family getting their Watchtower conditioning enforced. If they see you unhappy, they will think it confirms what the Watchtower tells them about people who leave. On the other hand, when they see that you do not turn into a spitting, raging, psychopathic delinquent, it may just introduce a little independent thought into their heads that "maybe people can be happy outside."

Define boundaries

I am married to a staunch JW. Even the child abuse scandal has made little impression. How is it possible to have a tolerable and even happy relationship in that situation? A very important thing I've discovered is to enforce a no-fly zone over certain subjects i.e. the Watchtower. I don't try to pressure her to leave if she doesn't try and pressure me to go back. I will respect her choice if she respects mine. When the subject is mentioned, it will be mentioned impersonally as a matter of general knowledge or interest e.g. I have told her about the Panorama programme and showed her the BBC website, but went only so far as "there it is if you want to watch it". Not "you have to watch this expose of the paedophile paradise in Brooklyn!" Is this sweeping the whole thing under the carpet and not dealing with it? Probably, but so what? If it's comfortable under the carpet, why not leave it there?

What if, for whatever reason, the elders chase? My personal conviction is not to see them. They have no authority over me that I do not give them. If I happen to see them in everyday life I smile and move on, and do not get drawn into conversation. If they call I will be not-at-home. If they phone, I screen all calls through my answering service and will not reply. They will need to put forth considerable effort to get me, and since I am not being overtly "opposed" it is simply not worth their limited time. All elder bodies are different of course, and at the end of the day, if they decide to DF or DA you, there's not much that can be done. But, if there has been an obvious witchhunt, your family will see it. I have seen several cases where a JW family recognised the injustice of the witchhunt, and consequently maintained contact despite the WT's shunning directives.

The sapper

This does not mean that there is nothing you can do to try and make your family think. Some gentle involvement in activities with pleasant "worldly" people will show them that most non-JW's are nice people, not as the WT illustrations make them out to be. Recommend some interesting books and articles (I subscribe to The Economist, an excellent magazine) that do not mention the Watchtower specifically, but happen to touch upon well established historic or scientific knowledge that shows the Watchtower's teachings to be a crock. I've found that my wife has an amusing liking for Arnold Schwarzenegger action movies, most of which are R rated. We enjoy them together! We go to see movies like Harry Potter and enjoy them, and I know that the irrational demon-hysteria about such movies irritates the heck out of her. In time, I'm hopeful that my family will start to think for themselves, but I will not force the issue, because to do so will lead to slamming doors.

Finally, these are my thoughts only, based on my own experiences. Obviously, there are far too many variables to cover everything. But so far my fade has been a definite success, and I'm now starting to build a rewarding non-WT life while maintaining relationships with my JW family. While not tormenting myself with unfulfilled expectations, I have some hopes of my family leaving the WT one day. One thing I do know for certain: leaving the Watchtower is worth all the effort. Life in the Watchtower is not life, it is a wasteland they have labelled peace.

Expatbrit

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Good for you! It is incredibly cruel how they enforce membership. I would say that within a month, you can start missing practically all meetings. Start off with the ones through the week first. Then miss the PT and WT last imo.

As a personal opinion for you if you will permit me: Your journey personally won't be easy at first. I would allow yourself to feel whatever you will feel, and to honor that. If you feel that you shouldn't be "feeling like this" that is incorrect imo. It is sad to realize that you have spent anytime in a cult. And there is some rebuilding to do. I wish you the best in that journey!

EDITED FOR PS: Excellent article by expabrit.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hello Maddie, glad you came here and asked your sincere question.

Fading speed depends on many factors. Primarily, it depends on the body of elders.
    If you are missing from meetings, do they call or ask a bunch of questions?
    Is the bookstudy overseer hounding you when you miss that meeting or is there
    another elder who says something to you when you miss the TMS and Serv. Mtg.?

The other factor is the family, itself. Are you in the same hall with family members
    that notice your absence. If they go to another congregation, that is not really a factor.

The safe route is slow, but sometimes it is easier to do a drastic sudden drop in meetings.
    The safe route would be to first drop participation in the door-to-door work, perhaps getting
    down to 1 or 2 hours a month (many here didn't even do that but reported it anyway as
    informal witnessing.)

The TMS/Serv. Mtg. is the easiest one to be missing from. You can also arrive very late
    at this one for awhile to make it look like a big effort on your part to even be there. The
    bookstudy is also easy to increase your absence from. The hardest one is the Public
    talk and WT meeting. One way to also reduce your presence is to stop commenting.
    It's hard to miss you if you aren't heard from. Also, arrive at the last minute or late, and
    leave right at the end of the meeting.

I faded down to 25 to 30 % of my meetings then just stopped suddenly. Since there
    was no effort by the elders to shepherd me, there was no reason to keep going.
    My process took only about 7 months. Many people do it between 6 months and 2 years.
    Others take several years to fade. The safe route seems to be a year or more, but again,
    it depends on your body of elders.

• return visitor
    return visitor

Hello Maddie and welcome to the board,

As you can see, I have been a member of the board for just under a year when I started my fade. I faded for the same reasons as you, I have a daughter and grandchild still in. I have been successfull so far but have made some mistakes. My first and biggest mistake was believing that I could tell my daughter why my meeting attendence was dropping. The big light went off in my head when I learned of the Orgs. involvement with the UN and when I told her this it was not the responce I thought it would be. We got past that by me trying to explain that I don't believe that means the org. is wrong, I just need time to see how I feel about it. The longer I don't go the more she seems to accept that I'm not comming back. But be carefull not to say too much. For me that is very hard, I want people to know that I am not just falling away, that it is a concious decision, but I can't do that and keep my daughter.

It sucks that after we leave we still have to play their game.

Again welcome,

RV

• return visitor
    return visitor

On the way out that is sound advice, I wish I had said it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A fade will be that much easier if you can switch congregations. If you "forget" to make the switch official, it will add to the confusion. Just start attending some meetings with the other congregation, and make sure you don't establish a pattern that's easy to figure out. Once they don't know which group you are going to go to, you can start missing meetings. Maybe at first miss one meeting per week--missing the book study is not usually the best since that's the one that they usually stereotype people as starting with. Miss a public talk/Puketower meeting or a Theocraptic Misery "School(??)" every so often, again not giving them any real predictability.

After this goes on a while, start missing more than one meeting per week occasionally. You should be rotating the ones you do go to between the two congregations, so they won't know which one you belong to. If all goes well, within 2 years you should be attending one meeting a month or so, and which one will be anyone's guess. At this point, you can stop going altogether.

The service is a bit trickier, since if you don't turn in a slip, they are going after you. Right now, you should be turning in time that is close to normal, even if it is totally fake. As with meetings, your real service should rotate between the two groups, and with no predictable pattern. The goal is to taper off. If you currently go out twice a week, you first keep that up but mix between the two congregations in no predictable pattern. As with the meetings, you begin to skip occasionally. It helps to continue to put in fake (or dummy) time just to keep Brother Hounder from wising up to the situation. The numbers should not be going up (if you usually get 10 hours a month, putting in something like 60 hours will work against you). They should be declining, but slowly so you do not arouse Brother Hounder before your time. It should take about two years to reach zero, and it helps if you start turning in two or more separate slips together for different months.

And, once you're out, stay out! Many people will later return to the Kingdumb Hell after fading, only to find that they get hounded to go back full time. And, since you have already faded once, Brother Hounder is going to watch that much more closely if he sees anything suspicious again. Aside the rare meeting you have to go to for your family, there really is no need to ever set foot inside the Kingdumb Hell again once you complete a fade. And, if you make it extremely difficult for Brother Hounder to reach you, his time is limited and soon he will focus on other matters within the congregation. However, if the hounder-hounder notices your inactivity, he will probably push Brother Hounder to put your coming back to the top of the priority list. Just make as much extra trouble and work for them as possible for them to recapture you, and hope for the best.

If it becomes intolerable, or they ever threaten to physically recapture you, you might have to write the disassociation letter. The downside of this is that they might step up their efforts to recapture you (highly improbable if you have family that they are holding hostage), and this will result in shunning (the family members in question are instructed to shun you if you do disassociate). Count the costs; if the benefits of disassociating exceed the costs, then by all means do it!

• Redbeard
    Redbeard

Bluebell has already delivered a very good reply to you, very valuable advice. I can add my own situation; I'm gonna be a sailor, currently taking my four-year course to become a ship's officer, which means I'm going to be away from the country for periods of up to 9 months. Conventiently, I realised that this makes me completely out of reach for the congregation and the elders, and they can do NOTHING about it, there's no 'legal' steps they can take towards me. So, make something the excuse. It can also just be working overtime or at nights so you can't attend the meetings. This can get comprehensive though, regarding education and work it's of course not something that one should just do to make a fade easier, it's gotta be something you really want to do. But its nice if you can find something you would like to do that can 'coincidentally' hinder your meeting attendance. Then there's the easier one: Go on holidays or a course or something else for a period of time, maybe a month, long enough to make them used to not seeing you there. Then after you've returned, simply don't show yourself in the kingdom hall anymore, and do not hand in reports anymore, this way you lose contact with the congregation, and it may be a while before they start worrying. This has so far worked in my situation, as it's still a while 'till I'm going to the Seven Seas, and I couldn't wait any longer with fading. It may not be as simple in your situation but this is in short what I did. Sorry for the crappy formatting. :-) Wish you all the best.

• willyloman
    willyloman

So many good things have been said, that I have little to add other than these few thoughts:

1. Despite bluebell's excellent essay on the topic, don't be discouraged that a "successful fade" could take a long, long time to accomplish. It may not take nearly as long as you think. When I planned mine, I thought it would take a year. Within a few months I had just stopped going and never set foot in a KH again. Everyone's circumstances are different. Even if your circumstances are exactly the same as someone else's, your experience may be completely different. There is a different set of dynamics in every case.

2. A lot of self-talk is vital to be successful, and this is really easy to accomplish since "right' is on your side. Your strategy must be to seize the moral high ground and hold it at all costs (see bluebell's "accordingly you must be perfect" advice, above). Remind yourself constantly that the WT organization is the hypocrite in this relationship, the apostate if you will, the false prophet. It's not you. You are the seeker of truth, and that search has led you away from the Watchtower precisely because truth could not be found there! Study and research on sites like this until you not only know the "truth about The Truth" but can explain it to yourself in a few simple sentences. Then "sound it down into your heart" (to use a well worn dub expression) and make it part of who you are. Once you do that, you can go forth unafraid - and more importantly, unashamed.

3. Finally, I want to second the thought about making new friends and developing new interests. That's the primary reason one buys time with a fade. Those new friends and new interests will give your new life a necessary foundation - and believe me, it doesn't have to be a lot of friends or a lot of new interests; a few will suffice. At some point along that path you will wake up one day and realize you have discovered who you are and that you now are living your own authentic life. At that point, it will no longer matter what impact dubs can have on you. You'll recognize they hold no power over you. You will be free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit