Talk On Cell In UK While Driving & Go To Jail For 2 Years!!!

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I mentioned in the other thread that a few months ago I was stopped by a state trooper who kept telling me he "smelled alcohol". I am incensed that I had to take a breathylyzer to prove that in fact, I had no alcohol in me.

I believe that quite often, cops take liberties that they ought not take and I guess I'm a liberterian at heart.

• Clam
    Clam

A traffic cop I know recently saw a lady actaully knitting while driving. He drove up next to her and said " pull over!"

"No" she replied, " It's a cardigan - but thanks for asking."

• minimus
    minimus

GOOD ONE, CLAM!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

A traffic cop I know recently saw a lady actaully knitting while driving. He drove up next to her and said " pull over!"

"No" she replied, " It's a cardigan - but thanks for asking.

LOL!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

At least 3 deaths too many caused by using mobile phones whilst driving:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5252872.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3624890.stm

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/News/PressReleases/PreviousPressReleases/July2005/deathofdaughter.htm

The results of driving while tired:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/selby/story/0,,1041276,00.html

The inquest sat in silence during graphic evidence by survivors, including the goods train driver, Andrew Hill, who described how the dark blue livery of the 125mph Great North Eastern Railways express suddenly filled the screen of his cab.

He was trapped in the wreckage, able only to reach the hand of his dead colleague Steve Dunn, whom he had been supervising on a route-learning run from Immingham coal dock to Ferrybridge power station in West Yorkshire.

Mr Dunn's widow, Mary, said after the verdicts: "If anything positive can come out of these two years, it's that every individual driver takes the responsibility to ensure they are fit to drive at all times and then accept responsibility should something happen.

Some very wise words from Mrs Dunn...

I suspect some 'pro-freedom' posters here might have a very different outlook on matters if they were directly affected by careless driving.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I just wondered something min - are you diabetic or have you been checked for diabetes lately?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I suspect some 'pro-freedom' posters here might have a very different outlook on matters if they were directly affected by careless driving.

In my case, you could not be further from the truth. I have two members of my family who suffered severe brain injuries and were nearly killed as a result of a careless driver. However, I value freedom much more than some supposed safety from an overly regulated misnomered tax. The government has no business making using cell phones or eating or whatever when driving illegal. I shudder at the thought of governments trying to authoritatively micromanage my life.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi John Doe, I also almost lost a close relative to a speeding motorist. The doctors called him a walking miracle.

on the subject of cell phones though, wouldn't you rather people used the safer hands-free/bluetooth types since they're available? At the risk of being accused of emotive language here, which is cheaper - a hands-free kit or a human life?

• John Doe
    John Doe

The cost of freedom is never cheap. I personally would prefer people using hands free devices, but their right should be to choose as they wish.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

So you'd rather leave it to the individual's sense of responsibility? That's fair enough

It might work in the US - but here, we seem to be a little short on responsibility at times!!

I also wonder what are the roads like in the US? I always envisage them as being long, flat and straight. Our roads are rarely straight and there are lots of hills (at least where I am lol!).

I ask because it's possibly safer to use non-hands free where you have a clear view and not much steering to do, but winding roads, blind bends and crests of hills mean you really are better off with both hands on the wheel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit