Talk On Cell In UK While Driving & Go To Jail For 2 Years!!!

by minimus 54 Replies latest jw friends

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/technology/12auto.html?ei=5088&en=37b03449357c384d&ex=1278820800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1121176997-Z8f1GHxj3cerGFXZiUz5Aw

People seem to think that using a hands free device would be safer then holding a phone while driving. But according to a study based in Australia, it's not the act of holding the phone but "the cognitive overload that sometimes occurs when you're engaging in a conversation".

I'm not really sure how I feel about this, but now a days cars have so many distraction's already installed in them. You can get DVD players, bluetooth, ipods, not to mention some with audio systems that are too loud for even my house! So whether it be a Mom reaching for the dvd for the kids, a guy talking on his phone or a kid messing with his stero, there will always be distractions when driving!

When we drive, we take a risk that we may get into an accident. So if we ban phones should we ban all the other distractions we have in our cars?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I vote for Senator Kerj!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Safety issue aside, there is nothing more annoying than sitting behind someone at a red light and then when the light turns green they dont even notice because they are busy chatting away on the cell phone, I mean an airplane could crash right in front of them and they wouldnt even notice.

Im 36 years old and have never owned a cell phone in my life, Amanda did but not me.

When Im traveling in the car I like to listen to music and sing, and I enjoy the solitude.

2 years jail time is definitely excessive, but something should be done, maybe a fine or something.

They do make plenty of hands free models now.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Should we venture to add here that a 'two year' jail sentence in the UK means 'out in 6 months with good behaviour'?!

Alternatively, it could be suspended (that means you don't go to jail unless you get caught doing exactly the same within the 2 years - or summat like lol!)

Or it could mean that you go free but wear a tag for 2 years.

UK law is so unpredictable at times!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Since I nearly got run over once by someone talking on the mobile while rounding a corner I am pleased to hear that things will get tougher with drivers using mobiles while driving. They also sometimes slow down too much so they can better manage driving and talking at the same time.

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    I vote for Senator Kerj!

No thanks nvr, I don't like public restrooms that much!!

• Simon
    Simon

While it might seem a pain in the butt, these laws are there for good reason, its to reduce the amount of avoidable car accidents. Talking on a cell phone is a great way to get distracted while driving, most people agree with that. And with the exception of sneezing (been there, done that, beyond my control), I agree, there are alot of idiotic things you can do to endanger yourself and others on the road, at least the government is trying to eliminate one of them. If that saves even one persons life, its worth it right?

No, not right!!!

many people die while swimming, should the gov. try to prevent those deaths too by having everybody wear life jackets to swim in a pool? maybe they should outlaw skydiving as well, that kills lots of people, and what about rock climing, hunting, race car driving, hell people even die while having sex maybe that should be outlawed or regulated as well? Every time the government passes a law like this they take away a little more of the freedoms we are said to have, and I for one am tired of it. I am a better driver with my cell phone to my ear that most people in their 80's paying strict attention to the road, if the gov. is so concerned about saving lives they would get these dangers off of the road, but they won't. If they really want to stop auto accidents, outlaw cars that will do it.

What a pathetic 'argument' (if IMO you can call it that)

All the things you describe are dangerous but only affect the people concerned (and some are more tightly regulated than normal driving).

What the law is there to do is protect us from the stupid, selfish and careless drivers that are a danger and a menace to other (innocent) road users and pedestrians. However you want to spin it, peole who drive while using mobile phones are all three.

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, and you can be prosecuted in the UK for eating / drinking & smoking while driving (IMO. not enough people are prosecuted for smoking)

• dobbie
    dobbie

I've seen several car and lorry drivers smoking and using phones whilst driving this week, as usual its that sort that don't care about these rules that'll end up killing someone and walking away with hardly a scratch.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

IP_SEC:

How did we get to the point of charging people with crimes before they commit a crime.

The crime is not, as you might think, killing someone because you were too distracted to pay attention. The crime is being too distracted to pay attention, i.e. driving dangerously. Punishing the crime after it is commited but before it has the worst possible consequences is a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit