Psychiatrists

by Blueblades 21 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

Wednesday is correct about people benefiting from professional help, and although I was jesting about being a shrink, I am amazed at how many of them hav ASKED ME what I want to do as far either upping/lowering my doses, and which meds to try. I am currently trying to get off all of mine, as I really don't like mixing drugs that have really not been tested in combination with others.

just a tought case....oompa

• wednesday
    wednesday

oompa

they ask you b/c no one is inside your body but you. the doc has a usual dose for a certain med. It may nor may not work for you. for myself, the doc and i have found that we cut the standard dose in 1/2 to 1/4.

There are many meds out there and yes sometimes docs experiment .I recall years ago taking depakote when it was a very expemental med. Now it's common.

i know it is frustrating to try meds and have side effects and feel like it will never get better. if your doc has not done a thyroid panel on you, then ask him too. Also have your testosterone checked(I'm assuming you are male).

many things can cause mood disturbances or even outright hallucinations.

Sometimes you may need to start over with a new doc. if you have been seeing this doc for sometime and he's out of tricks, try and new doc and see what happens. sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes to help you look at your situation.

Remember, all meds have side effects and be prepared to tolerate some of them. I hate it too, but that is all they have right now.

if you can get exercise and eat better. Your problems may be a medical problem .Even if they are not, exercise and eating better will not hurt anything.

its like any other illness, you have to get up every day and get dressed and keep trying.

also, if your life situation is bad, ie bad marriage or something like that, no amount of pills will make you better. That is where therapy comes in. Recently I discovered this. I was grieving and my doc finally said, ' we don't have pills for grief" . grief has to be experienced and lived through. it's tough, but ture.

take care. I know it is hard.

weds

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Find an NLP practitioner.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have never been to a psychiatrists. Have you, and if so, what has been your experience, if you care to share?

Blueblades

Let's discuss this, shall we?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Personally I don't think that shrinks are efficient at the task of helping out people with emotional problems, they just listen and give some feedback.

What does really help is the Bible and a decent pastor in some mainstream Christian religion. That's what I would recommend as the best form of therapy.

• wednesday
    wednesday

greendawn

so many jws have tried that and look at the results. the problem with using the Bible or any kind of "Christian/counseling" is they always end up brow beating you to conform to the standards they accept. if you have any problems that put you "out of the box" you can leave even more depressed and feeling you are just not good enough. A lot of jws feel that way. Also, very legalistic religions do the same thing.

but i think people should get counseling and if thats all that is available, then better that than none.

• greendawn
    greendawn

True, it takes a really enlightened pastor with well developed robust spirituality to deal with such delicate situations. Trying to push people into conforming against their best interests is harmful.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I went to a psychologist one time. He gave me a book he wrote how to be your own psychologist. It was very good and pretty much answered all my questions. It was very similar to the book "Your Erroneous Zones" by Wayne Dyer.

Psychiatrist are medical doctors who are more apt to treat your mental dilemas with prescription drugs than talk.

Psychologist are PHDs who cant dispense prescriptions so they spend their time listening to you talk and making suggestions based on your comments.

Both are booked weeks in advance and I know Psychologist charge a lot of money.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Personally I don't think that shrinks are efficient at the task of helping out people with emotional problems, they just listen and give some feedback.

What does really help is the Bible and a decent pastor in some mainstream Christian religion. That's what I would recommend as the best form of therapy.

greendawn: At first I thought you were joking then I realised you were serious. That was one of the most MORONIC things I've ever read here. You should be ashamed of yourself for dishing up such myopically narrow minded and ignorant 'advice'.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I have never been to a psychiatrist, I dont believe they can help me with anything I cant fix on my own. I think they would be great if I were still struggling with the JW religion, but I already know its a lying cult, case closed.

If someone has a real psychological problem like schizophrenia or suicidal tendencies, then yeah I can see where they would help, but for"normal" people that just have a 'sucky" life, I think they just have to work through their problems.

Im looking into reparative therapy right now, I dont know if I will go with it or not, but Im willing to keep an open mind about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit