Has being a JW made you a better person?

by lfcviking 23 Replies latest jw friends

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

OK most of us here on this board (including me) have got our grumbles with the WT for various reasons but please consider this:

If you came into the 'Truth' from the world at whatever point on your life and and have since then left the 'Truth', do you think that you are a better person now than before you joined?

LFCv

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The "Truth"..What a load of poop!..With a cherry on it!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• snowbird
    snowbird

Being a JW made me a better at detecting bull puckey.

Snowbird

• Mum
    Mum

Yes. After about 17 years as a JW, I came to realize that I was not a better person, but, to the contrary, ashamed of the person I had become. The "worldly" people I knew before I was a JW and those I have come to know after leaving are relaxed and happy, more authentic, and great fun. Don't get me wrong. I knew some wonderful JW's, but they were forced to suppress their good qualities to fit the WT mold.

• anewme
    anewme

Like the others, I would honestly have to answer, no.

I used to think that being a JW was an advantage and that having a JW Bible education was useful.

But now after six years out I think I was wrong. I actually have been DISADVANTAGED by spending so much time inside a kingdum hall. Oh maybe in a big Bible trivia quiz I might guess the million dollar winning question. But when is that ever going to happen?

"Tell us Anewme, for ONE MILLION DOLLARS, which foot of the Lord was washed first by the unnamed prostitute?" "Was it his left or his right?" "You have ten seconds to give your answer" "Audience, please remain quiet" "For one million dollars Anewme, what is your answer?"

It has taken years to de-program myself and think clearly without the JW doctrine restraint. My concept of God and the world and society has had to play catch up with reality.

Actually I think the pain of the DFing process made me a better person! Having survived it, I am stronger, more astute, more outspoken, suspicious of organizations, but kinder and gentler towards mankind in general.

Thanks for asking!

Anewme

• FlipThis
    FlipThis

I've become a better person since leaving...

Before I was a Witness, I was an embryo, so couldn't tell you about that.

• shell69
    shell69

Honestly I believe NOT.

I believe that my experiences within the org created a bitter woman.

Now I am FREE to be who I really am, I'm a better person, because the things I say and the things I do are geniune, just me.

Shell

• 5go
    5go

Not me but others though they have left too.

Though one could point out if they had just gotten help elsewhere they would of improved anyway.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Overall, NO!!

But here's a couple of bits of "corn" in the "turd" that is/was my JW life.

I know how to keep my mouth shut and/or be diplomatic in stressful situations. That has helped me quite a few times in my career.

I'm not afraid of public speaking. That has come in handy a few times as well.

I think I'm fairly empathetic due to years of trying to "see it from the other person's point of view". Of course, there was always the perverted JW twist of seeing it from their side so I could change them to my side. How empathetic is that? I'm not sure if it's a JW trait, but my default reaction to almost any situation is to try putting myself in the other person's mocassins first. That's got plenty of negatives to it as well.

Open Mind

• 4digitcode
    4digitcode

i became interested in JWs when i was thirteen and was baptized at 17. being a jw helped me lead a good life while i was in high school, not get caught in traps other teenagers did. but it also made me very depressed...now that i'm out i realize i snap more at people, i'm angry and i don't make excuses for anything. i think that comes from years of people walking all over me in abusive kingdom halls....so technically yeah i was better while a jw had more patience, was more kind, would bend over backwards, turned the other cheek...so being a jw didn't make me better. if they instill good qualities in people while on the inside but treat you like crap once you're out making you then bitter for all the hypocrisy they portray then i don't think they do you a great service.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit