Has being a JW made you a better person?

by lfcviking 23 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Actually they taught me how to waste whole days doing nothing of importance. Before I became a Witless, the days I had off from work were open, and I could take long walks and enjoy music. Once I became a Witless, they filled those wide open spaces in with service (if I had several contiguous hours off, I had to put it in the field circus or else die), leaving only the nooks and crannys open.

In addition to wasting my time with meeting/service, they taught me to fear things that were of trivial importance or were quite normal. They made such a big deal about Christmas. I had a significant amount of Christmas decorations that I had to throw away, and I was left not being able to enjoy the holiday music and decorations when they went up. Any activity with even a tenuous connection to fornication was taboo. Music that was even tenuously obscene was banned (after all, they didn't want me to stumble someone by listening to a slightly questionable song in the privacy of my own home). I was forced out in service during hot weather. And anything that was even remotely related to fun was censored.

What that religion did was make me an old fogey long before my time. Anything relating to the younger generation was "bad". School was demonized--I have seen the play fights that go on there, and would think that this was a horrible place to go. The music and movies were demonized. Whatever was in style among younger people was bad. If anything, they are good at making teenage and 20-something old fogeys. I actually think worshiping their Devil helped me more--I feel less of an "old fogey" in my 40s then I did while in the Tower in my late 20s.

• PEC
    PEC

I have become a much better person after leaving. Lies don't make you a better person, everything in JW land is a lie.

Philip

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I was a good person Before I became a JW. While I was a JW, I was taught to be less of a Person. Now that I'm out, I am a much better person.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I don't really know. Who knows how I would have been raised without being in a JW family? I don't think it helped much morally, and it hurt me financially. My wife is a worldly woman and I don't think you could find a more honest and loving person. How would you know for sure?

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit