DO YOU know how to be WRONG?? Should you TRY?

by Terry 54 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

As we move through life we change. Our beliefs change or we stop having beliefs at all. We are always driven by the values we hold and they change to.

When it comes to scientific certainty there is a right and wrong but in everyday things all our illusions are valid, as they make it possible to see the world in a way that we can fit in with at the stage of development that we are at.

We can only view our lives through our illusions and we will always have illusions but they will just change with time and it is through them that we escape from the harsh glare of reality.

It is tempting to try to live a life without illusions of any kind in the hope that pure unadulterated logic will lead us to the purpose of life. It is just possible that there is no purpose except to enjoy illusions and the ultimate illusion is that there is a purpose to this adventure we call life.

Both Sides Now

Rows and flows of angel hair,
    And ice cream castles in the air,
    And feather canyons everywhere,
    I’ve looked at clouds that way.

But now they only block the sun,
    They rain and snow on everyone,
    So many things I would have done
    But clouds got in my way.

I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now,
    From up and down, and still somehow
    It’s cloud illusions I recall,
    I really don’t know clouds at all.

Tears and fears and feeling proud,
    To say "I love you" right out loud,
    Dreams and schemes and circus crowds,
    I’ve looked at life that way.

But now old friends are acting strange
    They shake their heads, they say I’ve changed
    Well something’s lost, but something’s gained
    In living every day.

I’ve looked at love from both sides now
    From give and take, and still somehow,
    It’s love’s illusions I recall
    I really don’t know love at all.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:
    Interesting thread, marred only by your obsessional insertion of a rail against belief.

You appear to be missing Didier's point (Narkissos), especially in his last post. The only reason logic can have an semblence of a chance of succeeding in the real world is by dint of our abilities to "pattern-seek". Were it not for that "sets" would not exist at all and logic would have no basis to proceed from one "example" to another, as every instance of anything would be individual and unique, leading to an inability to recreate a hypothesis.

• Quentin
    Quentin

(Can you identify the author?) Hint: not known for poetry!

I cheated and Googled him up....interesting fellow...bookmarked his site...

• Terry
    Terry

Terry:

The only reason logic can have an semblence of a chance of succeeding in the real world is by dint of our abilities to "pattern-seek". Were it not for that "sets" would not exist at all and logic would have no basis to proceed from one "example" to another, as every instance of anything would be individual and unique, leading to an inability to recreate a hypothesis.

Consistency and non-contradiction.

As life is a practical matter we seek to connect what works with what is and make it as predicatable as possible. That is pattern-seeking.

Logic is a method for detecting when consistency is breached and when contradiction enters into our prediction forecast.

Logic has a basis in reality. We have detected logic rather than having invented it. Consistency and non-contradiction are observed to fit reality hand in glove.

Look at how easily this is detected:

"There are no absolutes in this world!"

The above is an absolute statement, is it not? Yet, it seeks to nullify its own truthfulness!

The contradiction is evident and renders the statement illogical.

So, I'm not missing Didier's point so much as responding to it with my point.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The more I know, the more I know that I don't know...I could be wrong!

The more I read Terry's Post's, the more I know I don't know most of what he is talking about...I could be wrong!

It's a learning experience. Where does all of this knowledge come from that people are posting on such and such a topic?

We are taught it from others or self taught through an interchange of information. Are the ideas original or passed down?

From birth to death, we learn, and as such are shaped and changed. This is a good thing...I could be wrong! And that too, is not a bad thing.

Keep them coming Terry!

Blueblades

• Terry
    Terry
    We are taught it from others or self taught through an interchange of information. Are the ideas original or passed down?

Think of ideas as representations or rough sketches.

We learn to sketch or we have a talent for it.]

Some minds painstakingly learn to sketch stick figure representations. Others can do a finished drawing that has mirror sharp details.

The correspondency between the thing represented and the drawing tests the accuracy (or truth) of it.

An original idea is a uniquely artistic way of depicting the representation.

Think of the old comic strip DICK TRACY who had a two-way wrist radio.

Now, look at the i-Phone.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I think of Bobby Fischer who created the best Chess moves against the Grandmasters of Chess that he defeated. His mind is one example of having an original thought, an idea, he did not copy someone else's moves from a book, but rather created more brillant moves that dominated the thinking minds of the other great Chess players. His methods and stlye of play were his own. Many have copied him, including myself.

Blueblades

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The greatest enemy of any one of our truths may be the rest of our truths. ~William James

• Terry
    Terry
    I think of Bobby Fischer who created the best Chess moves against the Grandmasters of Chess that he defeated. His mind is one example of having an original thought, an idea, he did not copy someone else's moves from a book, but rather created more brillant moves that dominated the thinking minds of the other great Chess players. His methods and stlye of play were his own. Many have copied him, including myself.

..and now; the rest of the story.

Fischer was sucked in to the World Wide Church of God. He fobbed off much of his purse winnings and became a rabid anti-semite. Religion ate his brain and spat him out.

His is a very sad story ultimately.

Fischer is an obsessive-compulsive who lived only for chess and subscribed to every chess newsletter the world had to offer. His strengh lay in knowing exactly what moves his opponents were currently playing before the age of the Internet.

Fischer's mind had enormous clarity when it came to remembering every move of every game he ever played!

What a pity his temporal lobes done him in.

• Terry
    Terry

..and now; the rest of the story.

Fischer was sucked in to the World Wide Church of God. He fobbed off much of his purse winnings and became a rabid anti-semite. Religion ate his brain and spat him out.

His is a very sad story ultimately.

Fischer is an obsessive-compulsive who lived only for chess and subscribed to every chess newsletter the world had to offer. His advantage lay in knowing exactly what moves his opponents were currently playing before the age of the Internet.

Fischer's mind had enormous clarity when it came to remembering every move of every game he ever played!

What a pity his temporal lobes done him in.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit