GOD: GOING...going....going.....GONE!! The Slow fade.

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under_believer
    under_believer

Pretty sure "The Adventures of Mark Twain" isn't banned. I watched it a lot when I was a kid, we taped it off of TV. The part with The Mysterious Stranger was the creepiest thing I had ever been exposed to as a kid thus far and it got me thinking, as did the Diary of Adam and Eve. Great stuff and I am amazed to this day that my JW parents let me watch it.

journey-on:

But, because they don't "get it" and can't envision it with their limited senses

My senses are all I have to go on. Are you suggesting that there is another way of knowing things besides via one's senses? Name something you know that you learned via an extrasensory channel, and tell me what nature that channel takes.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Your thought-provoking post made me realize that my journey out of dubdom was largely a result of growing up and gaining some intellectual and emotional maturity.

I think I found the courage to leave the day I realized, "I've outgrown this."

My wife is fond of saying: "It used to work for me, but when it stopped working I had to stop doing it." Same thing.

I think people who become immersed in high control religious groups like the JWs have a need to fill and it fills it, but over time they do in fact outgrow it to varying degrees. When that happens, some of them leave. Many others stay because leaving would be socially and familially awkward. So instead, they compromise. They turn it into a social club. They move outside the box a little, and they start taking the news from Brooklyn with a grain of salt.

• Terry
    Terry

I think people who become immersed in high control religious groups like the JWs have a need to fill and it fills it, but over time they do in fact outgrow it to varying degrees. When that happens, some of them leave. Many others stay because leaving would be socially and familially awkward. So instead, they compromise. They turn it into a social club. They move outside the box a little, and they start taking the news from Brooklyn with a grain of salt.

Nicely put!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit