GOD: GOING...going....going.....GONE!! The Slow fade.

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

In ancient times God was very anthropomorphic. He walked in the Garden "in the breezy part of the day".

He talked to man.

He was suprised by events.

He asked questions as though he needed information.

He was emotional and spontaneous. Angry at Adam and Eve and cursing the serpent one minute and warning Cain the next.

It was all kind of like a High School performance of a stilted play.

As we go from man's first very personable encounters with a tangible God and fast forward through the years, we find God is fading, fading, fading.

It hit me that as man became more sophisticated and less childlike and naive the stories about God had to be a bit more palatable. The High School Play had to become more off-Broadway.

When we get to Israel in Egypt and Moses leading the Jews through the Red Seas it is like a performance of Phantom of the Opera or Cats!

Big Production Values, set pieces, special effects: Plagues, miracles!! "My god is bigger than your god!"

But, God fades..fades..fades...

By the time of Malachi, God is an offstage voice. And then...silence.

By the time of the Christian Greek scriptures only Jesus seems to be able to hear Jehovah's offstage whisper.

The success of Alexander the Great brought Greek drama and science and logic to the Jews and they couldn't handle the ancient fables anymore without a grain of salt.

The Romans, largely, were becoming more sophisticated too. Belief in the old gods was largely ritual and regarded as a kind of "good luck charm" to ward off bad luck.

An actual person: The Emperor became the only real god for all practical purposes.

Arguments over who Jesus is/was devolved down to various opinions.

Under Paul the demi-god status of Jesus seems to have been set forth largely as the only acceptable and competitive alternative to old Judaism and current pagan Emperor status.

The split between the Catholic Church of Rome and the Orthodox Church of Constantinople is pretty much a debate over the science of the substance of God. (Homousias) God had faded into the definition of an undefinable conceptual leftover of Platonic philosophy!!

I remember the day I first thought about this. It became clear to me that children can accept a lot of fantastic detailed events in their bedtime stories which become less and less acceptable as they grow and mature. Belief in Santa Claus becomes an intellectual problem to tackle and solve until disbelief is certain.

The Disappearance of God is a function of the gradual sophistication of man's intellect.

Religion remains because of the strong and inveterate attachment we have emotionally to the bonding of childhood when anything was possible.

Santa and God are only kept alive when we replay the entire scenario for our children and vicariously experience the wonder and miracle of fantasy through them.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Maybe He's just off trying to find Himself?

• eclipse
    eclipse

Very good analogy.

It makes perfect sense.

If I was a believer, I would have a hard time disputing your argument.

• poppers
    poppers

Great post, Terry, as usual.

• Terry
    Terry
    Maybe He's just off trying to find Himself?

Ever read Mark Twain's THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER?

It is a book he never really finished.

A biographer wrote a bogus ending of it and passed it off as the real thing.

There are 3 endings.

It isn't known for certain which (if any) is the right one.

Some boys encounter a Mysterious Stranger one day who says his name is "Satan".

It is quite a compelling story, let me tell you!

This boy, while he is casually chatting, makes some little figures out of clay and animates them. They become activated and run around like tiny little people getting into all sorts of difficulties. The boy named "Satan" disposes of them in various ways with utter contempt and disdain.

I find some weird and interesting parallels between the bible's God and Twain's Satan.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Oh Terry, you had me at Satan.

LMAO!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Mark Twain wrote some interesting things - the Mysterious Stranger is the most shocking, and yet it just describes what people really believe. He also wrote a story about Adam and Eve, and one about Captain Stormfield's Visit To Heaven. Very clearly Mark Twain not only was an atheist, he despised religion. I like your analogy - it's very true. Primitive people believe in primitive gods. As people became more sophisticated, gods became more sophisticated, until people now have enough knowledge based on science to realize that whatever is going on in the universe, it isn't what religions are teaching.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

There really is very strong support that gods like Jehovah had to exist for the plausible reason that human ignorance existed, why religionists will not accept this fact is astonishing and

bothersome to me. Perhaps they have their own agenda that is more important and begetting, You can never pull any power or money out of atheistic views I suppose.

• Terry
    Terry

There really is very strong support that gods like Jehovah had to exist for the plausible reason that human ignorance existed, why religionists will not accept this fact is astonishing and

bothersome to me. Perhaps they have their own agenda that is more important and begetting, You can never pull any power or money out of atheistic views I suppose.

What ever man's ID is capable of, but, his conscience won't permit; is the engine which drives his God's agenda. The dangerous part comes when his God gives him permission to implement his agenda. Then, hell is loosed upon the world.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Maybe man would be better off to fade away from the gods and draw are selfs closer to humanity, it might be a more wholesome and positive approach to mans survival .

I'm placing my vote on the humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit