When it all started for me.

by Anti-Christ 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Even though there were many clues before that, I think the 1995 thing did it for me. The bad part was that I expected it. Even so, I felt like I got sucker punched when I read that article. And, they didn't even have the decency to put a special heading on the magazine with its changed teaching. No, they just slipped it in there hoping the semi-conscious sheeple wouldn't notice it. All along, for many years I had a little voice that told me I was an idiot for being there but I ignored it.

In the year 2000 was when I found out the real truth about the whole thing. The research I did confirmed many things I suspected all along and told me a few more things that shocked me.

I have been doing a fade ever since.

LHG

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It all started because I didn't like the way my life was heading. With all the rules and conditions, it became obvious that I was headed for a world where all I would ever have access to is other men. ! Obviously, I needed a way to make damn sure I wasn't going to be there.

So I checked the apostate sites because I knew that that was a guarantee of destruction (and thus no perma-men). That's where I found out the dubious origins of the Watchtower Society. Booze Rutherford made it even worse. I also found out about the scandals with the UN and pedophiles, doctrines that are unstable (going back and forth), and that the rules were totally unscriptural. That all was just the icing on the cake: I wanted to get the fxxx out anyway.

• oompa
    oompa

Cheetos says the following and I would like to know what used to be said, and what is now said at baptism.

For me it was when they changed the wording for the baptism, making the organization right on the same level with the holly spirit and Jesus Christ, if anyone does not hear and read that, and does not smell the cat food on the wall, I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

By the way, I have always had too many questions, but when I found out we really had our "own" Bible and found so many changes in it that nobody would explian, that did it for me.

still confused about life....oompa

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

This was my journey out. I wrote this a while back, when telling a current jw why I left.

For a number of years, I had concerns. Something just didn’t feel right. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but like any good JW, I tried to ignore the red flags that arose over time. There were many issues, but I’ll only touch on a just a couple because this will get very long if I try to include everything from a span of many years.

1: My dad died in 1978 of kidney failure. During his lengthy illness the subject of kidney transplant arose. My parents sought the advice of the society, and found that, according to the society, organ transplantation was “against Jehovah’s law”, and that it amounted to cannibalism. My dad did not have a transplant as a direct result of this reasoning. He remained on dialysis (which was not enough in his case) until his death. Two years later, the society changed their policy, and it became a matter of conscience as to whether or not to have a transplant.

I cannot tell you the emotion I felt when reading the “questions from the readers” that was the vehicle for the policy change. Now, most JWs will say that …”well, he was faithful and he’ll be back in the new system.” The question is “who was he faithful to?” It wasn’t Jehovah that demanded that he abstain from a transplant. His death did not result from being faithful to Jehovah…and faithfulness to the instruction of an organization is not the basis by which one gains salvation. Further, my dad was 68 years old when he died, a relatively young man. No one can replace the years he lost… I have 2 children who would have loved to have had a grandfather. He would have enriched their lives immensely. Now, who claims responsibility for this? Was it Jehovah who made the mistake? No….Jehovah does not make mistakes. The society went “beyond what is written” with terrible consequences, consequences that they do not take responsibility for…or even apologize for.

At that point, I was still very much “in” the organization, and I tried very hard to avoid thinking about it.

2: When my son was about 7 years old, one of his friends from the congregation, an elder’s son came for a visit. They were outside playing when a little boy from the neighborhood wanted to join them. The elder’s son started screaming at the little boy telling him that Jehovah hated him….that he wasn’t one of Jehovah’s witnesses and that he was going to die at Armageddon. I heard the commotion and went outside to see the little boy in tears and my son trying to comfort him. I called the elder and asked him to come and get his son. Where does that kind of hatred come from? Any religion that teaches a child to hate is not only unchristian, it’s dangerous.

Still in…trying to rationalize this as an isolated incident…

3: When my daughter was 13, she was very observant, wise beyond her years. She saw things going on in the congregation that she knew were wrong. She asked me on several occasions “Where is the love….isn’t that supposed to be the identifying mark of the true religion? Well, where is it?” I had no answer for her because she was right. It wasn’t there. It wasn’t just one congregation either. We were in several in Florida. I have attended congregations from MA to CA to Fl. The most important identifying mark… and it is virtually absent….

Still in, still trying to make excuses….

Many many more issues arose over time, and I continued to push them to the back of my mind. It got awfully crowded back there….and finally after my divorce in 1990 I decided to assess my life, and examine all that I believed. It was a turning point for me.

As a JW I had told countless people to examine their religion. I had never taken my own advice. I decided to do so. If it really was the truth, I would apply myself “whole-souled” If it wasn’t, it was time I knew. It was Fall, 1990. I was 38 years old.

I have an extensive library of JW publications that goes back to the turn of the 20 th century. I started at the beginning, and read continuously. It took nearly 2 years, and it broke my heart.

The society claims that they were chosen to represent Jehovah in 1918-1919 (depending on which publication you reference.) They claim that they were chosen based on the fact that they, and they alone were teaching Bible truths. If they were truly chosen on that basis, why is it that the teachings of today have little if any resemblance to what they taught then? I know what they taught then, because I have read it from the original publications. Not the same teachings at all….not by any stretch of the imagination.

The first really major books published by the society was the series “Studies in the Scriptures” The final volume was published in 1917, and was the most recent publication at the supposed time of their being chosen. I think every JW should have that book as required reading. It is filled with the craziest stuff I have ever read. And to add insult to injury, on the cover of this book (and all of the Studies in the Scriptures) is the symbol of the Egyptian sun God, Ra. Now I ask you, in examining the religions of the world, do you really think that Jehovah would choose a group that has the symbol of another god on the cover of their main teaching tool? And just what is it doing there to begin with?

It got worse the more I read. Changing teachings…false prophecies… 1874…1914, 1918, 1925…on and on. The original calculation to get to the year 1914 was taken from the measurements of the “Great Pyramid of Giza” from something called the “Pyramid inch”….first written about by Charles Piazzi Smythe…a mystic. The “Ancient worthies” men like Abraham, Isaac & Jacob were supposed to be resurrected in 1925, and Judge Rutherford even had a mansion built for them, and deeded to them. It’s in San Diego, and it was sold in the early 40s after that prophecy failed. Did you know that Adam was the first Pharaoh…and he’s buried in the sphinx? Yup and Jehovah resides in the Pleadies…. On and on. No jw today believes any of this stuff, no thinking person would…but it’s the substance by which they were supposedly chosen by God.

Ah, but you will say…we have new light!!! Look at Proverbs 4:18!! Please do, but this time read the whole chapter. This scripture does not teach “new light”. It is the story of a father teaching his son the best way to live his life… To sum it up: If you live a righteous life, you live an enlightened life. If you live a wicked life, you live in darkness. It has nothing to do with justifying changing teachings. Jehovah doesn’t change. Truth doesn’t change.

This doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface. It is truly a mess. There is literally nothing to trust!

Ah, but they are imperfect men, you say. They’ve made mistakes that’s all. Ok, then why not judge all religions by the same standard.? They are also made up of imperfect men. The society condemns all other religions for doing things that they themselves are guilty of. Why a double standard?

As I said before, it would have been easier to ignore the evidence and stay. ..to bury my head and try to ignore the facts. It was all I ever knew…ever believed…and it crumbled before my eyes. My consciennce won’t allow me to remain part of that organization. Live up to their standards? No, it’s the other way around. They do not live up to my standards. And they definitely do not live up to Jehovah’s standards. Faithful and Discreet Slave? There is nothing faithful nor discreet about their record. They are not who they claim to be. Their history confirms this sad fact.

Coffee

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

Coffee! Whoa and thanks. What an odessey you took in your examination.

Question: What exactly was the '95 change in the 1914 understanding? I missed it, was associating only sporatically at that point. Hell, until yesterday, I never considered a negative word at all about this organization.

What did it for me though? Lack of true christian love. I was young and isolated and moved to a new cong after getting in trouble with a bro at the old cong. I was naieve and didn't realize my record would fall into not-so-loving hands in the new cong. The being 'called into meetings' started over any and everything, and pretty soon I "faded" as you all say. The bro I had been seeing came around still wanting to "be friends" I couldn't believe it, I nicely declined the offer. Oh I wanted to see him, but really didn't want to associate anymore with the cong. It was heartbreaking. I knew he would never leave the troof, and surely he's still out there going at it.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

It's nice to know some on this board are "in the circle."

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Whoah Coffee!

Amazing story, well written.

Welcome to to board.

You too, emy.

So many new ones, so awesome!

Glad to have you all here,

RD

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I was raised 'in the vicinity of' the so-called 'truth.'

I had a somewhat rocky childhood, the less said about it, the better. I was 5 in 1970, and everything changed for the worse that year.

But had pretty much pulled it together by the time I married for the first time in 1986, and put in some pretty solid effort to be a JW up until my duplicitous and treacherous spouse decided in 1994 that fidelity wasn't for her, then I fell to pieces.

But I still thought I had the truth

Then we had the two study articles about the 'cities of refuge' in 1995. I remember sitting in the kingdom hall and thinking, 'geesh, they are really running out of things to put into these magazines!'

It seemed that they just said the same things and had run out of new material, but upon looking into my mom's extensive kingdom library I found that they really had been just that shallow and self-serving all along. I just hadn't seen it.

Now that I had reached my saturation point with all of the types, antitypes, and modern day fulfillments that all lead to the WTS, I lost all enthusiasm for the alleged kingdom. The meetings never had been 'refreshing' for me, but now they became interminable.

I began avoiding them, using my shaky emotional condition as a plausible excuse.

I still thought it was 'the truth' and periodically stepped up activity in vain attempts to get baptized, but the elder's were having none of it.

I was, by that time, known as someone who was 'perpetually studying' so therefore there was obviously something very wrong with me in their eyes.

If I had been a new person they would have moved me along to the dipping pool tout suite, but no. I was a perpetual study so I had to prove myself.

This I would NOT do, so it always returned to me backing away and blaming my emotional state. It helped that my second wife was a basket case and our lives were really chaotic at that time.

The last straw was being told by an elder in the brookdale congregation, that I didn't need to be baptized because, as a 'retarded person' I was under my mother's grace.

I truly believed that he was suffering from some sort of mental deficiency, possibly the total lack of a central nervous system, and still do.

I never liked Dave Bye, but to have this complete moron tell me I was retarded?

UNACCEPTABLE!

I left my nutcase wife, moved to St Paul, and never even tried to contact the congregation there. I started looking at apostate websites, starting with free minds, tower watch and the rest.

I had hit a low spot in my life where I had to tear down everything I had ever been and rebuild. This is when I truly broke free mentally and emotionally from their mindset.

My life has been up! up! up! ever since, thanks in no small part to my Becky who is possibly the best person I have ever met and the perfect woman for me.

And to think, it all started with those two stupid articles on the cities of refuge.

RD

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Wow! I must read my older topics more often! I didn't check them for a wile I didn't expect to find more posts. Coffee and Roller Dave that was intense. When I read personal stories like yours I become aggressive and feel like blowing up the WackTower but then I calm down and say to myself that they will eventually blow them self up. All I can do for now is help those who are starting to have doubts get out and help them deal with all the side effect of being under mind control for so long. Thank you all for your comments.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ooompa

Here is a thread about how they changed the baptismal questions in 1985 http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/59967/1.ashx

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit