JW Science Quote Of The Day 9-3

by TD 25 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I will go one further. If we have 1.8 billion people on earth and 40 million die of Spanish flu, that is only one death per 45 people. For the epidemic that was supposed to have started the end times, that is wimpy--during the Dark Ages, the Plague wiped out three in four people alive. That makes Spanish flu seem like the sniffles by comparison.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Perhaps if they practiced what they preach?

be study 40 p. 223 Accuracy of Statement ***.....................(Ministry School textbook)

"What do you need to do?Impart information that is in complete harmony with the facts.

Why is it important?Accuracy in what you say reflects well on you, the organization with which you are serving, and the God you worship.

WHY might a Christian make a statement that is not true? He might simply be repeating something that he has heard, without taking time to check the facts. Or he might overstate a matter because, without realizing it, he misread his source material. When we give careful attention to accuracy even in minor matters, our listeners will see that they can have confidence in the veracity of the more important aspects of our message."

Do not overlook the point that they claim to be differrent...They claim to be better than anyone else..The dubs I know would maintain that "If the Society said it, it must be right" ...Hell - the call themselves "The Truth" !

• unique1
    unique1

kind of crazy.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There was a

Today’s JW science quote of the day is a good example:

"The scientific community reconfirms the severity of the Spanish influenza. According to The New York Times Magazine, 196,000 people died in the United States alone during the month of October 1918. "By the end of the winter of 1918-19, two billion people around the world had come down with influenza, and between 20 million and 40 million had died, the magazine says

Awake! June 22 1993 p. 29

There was a time, and not too long ago, when I'd have believed every word of this and all the otherso-called "facts" that the wts published, however silly they seem now.

The problem here is that world population didn’t reach the 2 billion mark until the early 1930's. In 1918 the total world population was only about 1.8 billion persons. So even if we assume that every single individual on the face of the earth had been infected by the end of winter 1918-1919, (Which did not happen) we still fall short of the claim by about two million.

Such details never bothered the writers of this stuff. I expect they relied on no one bothering to check up on what they'd written, and I doubt any jw did.

• steve2
    steve2

I so agree with posters' comments about the black plague of the 14th century being significantly deadlier than the Spanish flu of 1918-19. Doesn't this illustrate how the goal posts keep shifting on what constitutes worsening world conditions? For example, military historians are increasingly referring to World War II - and specifically the dropping of the atomic bomb on Japanese soil as the most significant turning point in human history. But, no doubt, military historians and/or "statesmen" closer to other events (e.g., Winston Churchill and World War One) would view World War I as the most significant turning point. Indeed, it was earlier thought by Rutherford that the start of the time of the end was the french Revolution! I guess where we need to be careful is not to mistake a so-called "turning point" for an "end point".

One thing we can be sure of, while there have been lots of "significant turning" points in human history, to date there has been no end point. The trouble is, each generation really, really, really believes the end of human history is imminent.

• tfjw
    tfjw

The WT has a history of these scientific blunders and even some of those they quote have missed the boat by a long shot. This page has some other examples, http://www.premier1.net/~raines/quackery.html including their rant against aluminium. Even after the war on aluminium ended, I still remember my grandmother and some of the older sisters still not permitting any aluminium in their houses. They were so obsessed with it like it was possessed with demons. Sighhhh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit