JW Science Quote Of The Day 9-3

by TD 25 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

JW science blunders aren’t always the result of misunderstanding the working principles of the phenomenon being discussed. Sometimes they’re simply the result of not properly researching a secular quote that dovetails with the worldview of the JW leadership

Today’s JW science quote of the day is a good example:

"The scientific community reconfirms the severity of the Spanish influenza. According to The New York Times Magazine, 196,000 people died in the United States alone during the month of October 1918. "By the end of the winter of 1918-19, two billion people around the world had come down with influenza, and between 20 million and 40 million had died, the magazine says

Awake! June 22 1993 p. 29

The problem here is that world population didn’t reach the 2 billion mark until the early 1930's. In 1918 the total world population was only about 1.8 billion persons. So even if we assume that every single individual on the face of the earth had been infected by the end of winter 1918-1919, (Which did not happen) we still fall short of the claim by about two million.

This series of JW science quotes could have been continued indefinitely, but I trust that by now everyone understands the point. --Neither the JW leadership nor those under their direction are "Celebrated scholars." It doesn’t even have to be a matter of science; you can pretty much name your topic and this is what you will find.

These are just ordinary men, no more and no less educated or intelligent than your neighbor across the street who washes his SUV every Saturday. Jehovah’s "Spirit" doesn’t prevent them from being wrong, sometimes seriously so, and it doesn’t prevent those that follow them from coming to harm as a result.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good points, TD.

I'm embarrassed to say that I built my life around their words.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

2 billion but only 1.8 billion - dont you mean 200 million short NOT 1.8 billion persons. we still fall short of the claim by about two million.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I just like good math - math is the language of science and technology, so if we correct the WTS we must have the language right

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Good catch, stilla.

• Terry
    Terry

It is similar to the logical gap created by the death of the ENTIRE PLANET EARTH (excepting 8 people) in Noah's day! How could the population of Earth replenish feasibly enough to the farthest stretches of the globe, develop ethnic dissimilarity, create new customs and ethos and develop civilizations in such a brief period in order to catch up with actual historical evidence of those civilizations?

How many babies were these women having???

The teeming billions of animals too is far-fetched. The ecology alone is vanishingly plausible.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It is similar to the logical gap created by the death of the ENTIRE PLANET EARTH (excepting 8 people) in Noah's day! How could the population of Earth replenish feasibly enough to the farthest stretches of the globe, develop ethnic dissimilarity, create new customs and ethos and develop civilizations in such a brief period in order to catch up with actual historical evidence of those civilizations? How many babies were these women having???

EXACTLY TERRY- and even if they could produce enough babies, you would not have a very diversified gene pool - and hence major problems.

In addition all the languages and dialects could not arise in that time either

• choosing life
    choosing life

"These science quotes could have continued indefinately..."

TD, I hope you aren't stopping now. I have been enjoying your posts. They are quite useful to remember for use with jws.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    This series of JW science quotes could have been continued indefinitely, but I trust that by now everyone understands the point.

Aww! -You at least have to do one about the second law of thermodynamics before you quit?

There's probably a gold mine of quotes on various things in the 'Creator' books.

Good job on the series, but I'm sure there's a lot more to find.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Fantastic numbers about this epidemic and above all the whole composite sign of the end the JWs promoted so much, is nothing but an elaborate hoax to create a sense of urgency due to a supposedly soon to be judgement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit