Aren't we really the pioneers?

by purplesofa 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

I suppose all ex JWs hate the WTS because it sought to disgrace them by labelling them with bad names and ostracising, the FDS made many enemies and overreached himself. All those escaping from the subtle manipulation and spell of the cult will have a common understanding of what it means to be freed by knowing the truth about the truth.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Nice post purps

The other day I was thinking that our ability to survive changes and keep on living, as speaking subjects, also depends on our ability to readjust our life stories in order to integrate the latest developments, however shattering to the former story line, and make fresh narrative sense of the whole thing. From this perspective your "pioneer" scheme is quite interesting and potentially helpful to xJWs. One especially important aspect of it, imo, is that it relates our personal journey to mankind beyond the organisation we used to belong to and the xJW "community". As Paul put it, "we do not live just for ourselves, and we do not die just for ourselves". To borrow from a pun by Camus, solidary even if solitary. Exactly how, of course, we do not know.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The Universe is a different place because of you, purps.

That goes for every last one of us.

We can make a difference.

Thanks for all that you do.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Nice post purps

The other day I was thinking that our ability to survive changes and keep on living, as speaking subjects, also depends on our ability to readjust our life stories in order to integrate the latest developments, however shattering to the former story line, and make fresh narrative sense of the whole thing. From this perspective your "pioneer" scheme is quite interesting and potentially helpful to xJWs. One especially important aspect of it, imo, is that it relates our personal journey to mankind beyond the organisation we used to belong to and the xJW "community". As Paul put it, "we do not live just for ourselves, and we do not die just for ourselves". To borrow from a pun by Camus, solidary even if solitary. Exactly how, of course, we do not know.

hey Nark

yes, you understand

purps

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

very deep purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

do you all really think I am too deep

the reason i ask is I hear that sometimes

and sometimes when I say

I was thinking

i get the response

this could be dangerous

i just think this could be part of my not being able to connect problem i feel sometimes

purps

ok went off topic

i still feel like we are all doing something awesome and amazing

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Yes, we are the pioneers in the battle for freedom of thought, belief, and self determination, and it can be a lonely job. It's very hard to translate what I'm thinking and feeling into words. I'll try, but it'll probably seem very disjointed.

I feel like I've opened too many doors, none of which can be closed any more. The more I learn, the more I experience, the less I seem to fit in anywhere. People seem to resent being presented perspectives that differ from the ones they're comfortable with.

Joining and later leaving the cult was merely one "episode" for me, as was my upbringing as a Catholic in a dysfunctional family. I've had as many jobs as I've had years on this earth. I've worked with charities. I've had many circles of friends. I've had association in criminal groups, and spent a little time in jail for a crime I didn't commit. I went from being a grade 9 dropout to a college grad. I've been shacked up with junkies, and I've had dinner in the homes of prominent politicians.

There's one single thing I find in common, no matter where I go or who I'm with. Everyone wants to control your thinking. It's not unique to the watchtower cult. I experience it at work every day. You can have your own thoughts, but you dare not voice them. When a contract job once ended I found new employment with a political party. Upon discovering who I was going to work for I was called a "traitor" by my (soon to be former) workmates. I couldn't make them understand that no employer has the right to dictate my political leanings just because he pays me to do something completely unrelated. My ideology is not for sale.

I once lost an entire circle of friends because of my thoughts on the movie "Kramer vs. Kramer". I didn't want to share my thoughts about it, because I knew it would be unpopular, but they nagged the hell out of me until I answered. So I was the bad guy because, after a full half hour of nagging, I finally gave an honest answer to a question they really had no right to force upon me.

Now it's family. Initially they were happy to see me out of the cult. Not so much any more. I've changed. I no longer accept anything from anyone merely on someone's say so. I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong about something when I'm proven wrong. Saying I'm wrong and proving I'm wrong are not the same thing. My family has difficulty understanding the concept. Instead, my brother-in-law, a martial arts expert and former cop, tries to pick a fight with me when I tell him to stop touching me. My family is happy to talk to me about their interests, but are quick to end the conversation if I talk about something I'm interested in.

It's become obvious that we have absolutely nothing in common other than our ancestry. I'm not certain about whether or not I'll maintain any contact with them once my mom's estate is finally settled. The only time the family really gets together is during holidays, and I'm tired of getting into arguments with them because they're insulted when I decline to eat all their homemade cakes because of my diabetes.

I'm rambling.

The short version is that people only seem to like you if you think, do, and say what they want you to think, do and say; or at least put on a good act.

W

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Finally-Free

The most beautiful post I think I have ever read of yours, I must pay closer attention to what you say.

Your background is very similiar to my own.

Thank-you dearly for sharing

purps

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Amen purps

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It all depends on how far you want to go out of the programming I guess. I think artist are leading the way outward as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit