The most irritating dub(s) you had to put up with?

by greendawn 22 Replies latest jw friends

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Some of them swear they know everything there is to know about a subject because they read it in a Watchtower. One time, I was at a "gathering" and they all started up about how reading the Awake/WT was equivalent to a college degree. I flatly disagreed with them all, and it threw them all off...

• eclipse
    eclipse

I found most of them irritating....

I found the free thinking open-minded JW's were the most pleasant and the most intelligent and thoughtful.

The parrots and the ass-kissers of the elders and the governing body were definitely the most annoying,

so much so that I wanted to physically punch some of them in the throat whenever they opened their mouths.

They were often the most hypocritical and have no love for anyone. Their main goal was to seek out your faults and to judge you.

The sincere believers I just felt sorry for, but I did not dislike them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

No doubt the elder arrangement of the JWs though presented as a loving arrangement of their jehovah is nothing but a shambles since they are supposed to do pastoral work without being educated in this, professional or competent. Unlike the priests or pastors of serious religions.

No surprise that there are so many stories about them as being irritating problem makers rather than problem solvers.

• Confession
    Confession

Okay, picture this... I was an elder with a wife who'd come to about half of the meetings. Always claimed to be sick. There was an old, legally blind sister in her early to mid 80s who would always approach me, and with the loudest, screechiest voice say...

"WHERE'S TERESAAAA!?!?!?"

I mean, this went on for years. I'd give her very short, simple answers. Once I told her she was welcome to call Teresa anytime she wanted to know where she was or how she was doing. Still it would happen...

"WHERE'S TERESAAAA!?!?!?"

Every time she'd do that, the whole hall would silence and look at us, wondering what I'd say this time. After years of this, I finally said, "When are you going to figure this out? Teresa often doesn't come to meetings. Please stop asking me that question."

This was very out of character for me, but she just pissed me off so much with that passive-aggressive, "WHERE'S TERESAAAA!?!?!?"

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

We had an elder when I was growing up who had no tact and had an annoying habit of talking down to people (annoying even by JW standards). I remember when I graduated high school and still hadn't been baptized, he convinced me to study with him. Apparently not realizing that I had been attending meetings all my life, and had a reasonable knowledge of the scriptures already, he studies with me out of the "Live Forever" book. Besides arriving for the study way earlier than what we agreed to, he would ask me after every study if I had any questions on the material we had just covered, assuming that the "Live forever" book might be over my head. Finally, he got fed up when I said I didn't, and proceeded to lecture me about not having enough enthusiasm for the study.

This same elder also had no tact when dealing with members of the congregation. There are two stories which illustrate this. The first involves a sister who used to ride with my parents to the meetings. She had an unbelieving husband who not only was opposed to her being a JW, but would occasionally become abusive. She was running a little late one Thursday night. She was extremely apologetic, explaining that she had to make sure her husband had his dinner before she left. They ended up missing the opening song and prayer. Brother Numbnuts, who rode with my parents that night, lectured her on the way home from the meeting, saying that she had made everyone late. He said she should stand up to her husband, and tell him he should get his own dinner if it was going to interfere with her meeting attendance.

In another instance, there was a brother who was df'd who got into a really bad car accident. He also had a sister who was df'd. Well this sister happened to answer the phone when Brother Numbnuts called the hospital. He introduced himself and said he was calling just to let the family know he was thinking about them, not the disfellowshipped ones, but the other ones.

Ah, such warm, Christian love.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Changeling....There was nothing funny about the odor of some of them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Discriminating against the DFed so crudely shows that their policy of shunning is a vindictive one and not as they claim a corrective one.

I also recall the son of a supposed anointed member who was extremely arrogant since his father, incapacitated at the time from a stroke, apart from being "anointed" he was also very rich. I was always irritated by his overbearing attitude.

He even grabbed a JW girl from a poorer JW who was at the point of getting engaged to her. He seduced her with his wealth. The other JW soon left the cult in disgust.

• Scully
    Scully

They were the ones who looked down their noses at other JWs who weren't quite as Spiritual™ as they were and criticized other JWs for the slightest little things, but when they were found out to be just as normal as everyone else, became absolutely livid and bullied their Brothers™ and Sisters™ into silence - even to the point where the Elder™ husband/father of the family would blurt out so-called confidential information about people he was attacking that was gleaned from judicial committee meetings in an attempt to humiliate people who were a threat to him.

Another one - an adult female JW with a daughter slightly older than me - attempted to befriend me and invited me to go shopping and out for lunch, etc. until she revealed her motive in doing so: she wanted me to spy on her daughter at school to find out if she was doing anything that would be cause for her to be DFd. When I told her that I couldn't do it (mainly because it was logistically impossible) - she stopped speaking to me.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Actually, most of them. There was one family where they had four brothers, one of who was in the world (and that was the nicest one of them). Everyone else had to hound me to get to the meetings, do more in service, and accept the situation of not being able to get with sisters (when they could have without much effort helped me in that department instead of adding another wall). They had a habit of doing little (and occasionally not-so-little) things to provide the illusion of being nice, at which point they would have seized control of my whole life.

In fact, it's this family that I feel would recapture me in an instant. They would probably drag me to live with them, and make every decision for me. Days would be service from 5:30 in the morning until late night, and every boasting session has to be attended. There would be constant supervision so I wouldn't even get a chance to write an apostate message or a link to an apostate Web site in the Crapts or Puketower magazines. Just endless knocking on doors, placing crapts and Puketowers, and calls. Not to mention doing everything as if I was one of them.

• greendawn
    greendawn

"Everyone else had to hound me to get to the meetings, do more in service" that's the social control mechanisms at work in the JWs their attention always seems to be of a negative sort they will never show any interest otherwise. It makes for a cold and unloving environment.

Another way to annoy them is by having Christians to knock on their doors and try to evangelise them, would a JW ever invite anyone into his home for a discussion? "You visit people with your message now can you listen to our message?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit