Pope's Powerful Christmas Message

by skeeter1 12 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Pope Francis has denounced the "brutal persecution" of religious and ethnic minorities, in his traditional Christmas Day address.

In his second "Urbi et Orbi" - to the city and the world - Christmas message, the pontiff highlighted the plight of victims of conflict in Syria and Iraq.

"Too many people are being held hostage or massacred" in Nigeria, he added. 

Pope Francis also urged dialogue between Israelis and Palestinians and condemned Taliban attacks in Pakistan.

Tens of thousands of people turned out on St Peter's Square to hear the Argentine Pope deliver his annual message.

He said Christians in Iraq and Syria had endured conflict for too long, and "together with those belonging to other ethnic and religious groups, are suffering a brutal persecution".

"May Christmas bring them hope, as indeed also to the many displaced persons, exiles and refugees, children, adults and elderly, from this region and from the whole world," the Pope said.

******And, what did the Governing Body talk about when they addressed the world of Jehovah's Witnesses earlier this month?   Yoga pants, eurosuits, and needing more money.******

Pope Francis Rocks, (and, I'm an agnostic)!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    SKEETER - just wanted you to know I liked this post and clicked the "thumbs up" button, however, I don't see that it "registered". . . do you?
  • Nickolas
    Nickolas

Francis is a populist who's words translate neither into action nor remedy. He speaks eloquently of tolerance toward those disenfranchised by Rome but changes none of its doctrines toward accommodation. He decries poverty yet is surrounded by the greatest opulence and wealth the world has ever seen. Is he not the supreme leader of the Holy Roman Catholic Church?

"Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying." - Ralph Waldo Emerson 
  • Simon
    Simon

Words precede any change - do you expect instant transformation of one of the largest institutions on the planet?

Seems like nothing would ever be enough or welcomed by that measure.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas
    I'm from Missouri on this one, Simon. 
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I like this new pope. He wasn't elected by "the people" after an election season. For him to now state his stands and his intentions is not a bad thing. If nothing else, it gets people thinking and hopefully working together to bring the changes about. He is the head of the church, but he works with all the leadership all over the world, and if they don't know what he is up to, then how can they offer their input? 

The doctrine of the church is not what is holding it back so much as it is the culture of the church, the politics of various parts of it and tradition. Most people recognize a lot of the issues, but none of them can make sweeping changes alone, but contributing their insights and experience with the many local changes that have been made will be useful. 

I think one of the best things about this guy is his sense of really being a servant and really there to help. Not rule, not run the show, not to make the rules. If I turn out to be wrong, I will be sad, but every bit of good that each one of us can do is a blessing, even if it is for just one person. Therefore  I am not going to be negative about one guy who is trying to do good for billions. He had to balls to speak up against the mob. Who does that?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

It would be much braver to speak up against the mob he leads. Time will tell what they will allow him to do, how far they will allow him to go, what they may do to stop him if, indeed, it turns out he is more than just a talented orator. 

And he may just try to move mountains, this one. He is, after all, first and foremost a Jesuit. After centuries of keeping the troublesome Jesuits under its thumb Rome has for the very first time elected one to absolute power. Eyebrows were raised. One wonders what all those cardinals had in mind, if they knew what they were doing. Is it just the pendulum swinging fully back after having put a former Hitler youth and protector of pedophiles in charge, whose resignation they quietly prompted? 

The Jesuits are well known for their radicalism as well as their pragmatism. While more often than not muzzled by Rome over the centuries they contributed mightily to its new world congregation and to its wealth. Every Spanish galleon of the Conquest carried with her a priest, most often of the Society of Jesus. They were resilient but also tough. They were known as God's Marines but they were also Rome's mercenaries. They were complicit and active participants in the destruction of native peoples and their cultures and the plunder of their riches. Perhaps this one will plunder Rome and give it all back, but I somehow doubt it.

Words are cheap.

• millie210
    millie210

Anyone but me amazed that the day is finally here when JW.Org looks worse than the Catholic church?

Maybe the Pople is all words but at least he said words that arent the height of ridiculous topic matter.. 

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Yeah, the contrast of the WT special meeting to the Popes speech was-wow-surreal,really. Absolutely no acknowledgement of anything that truly mattered in the world by the WT sock dude. 

The pope is trying to change actions and attitudes of the HEART. The WT wants to change your underwear.

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

when popes speak.... the world may listen.. but catholic believers don't. That is a fact

popes represent the catholic doctrines and teachings and the catholic believers represent people who divorce and remarry... who use anticonception,.. who live together before marriage,.. who have abortion,.. who think 'live you life as gay and stay catholic' is ok etc etc

so there you have the big difference between the popes and the governing body.

When the governing body speaks... the world won't listen but Jehovah's Witnesses do

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit