Pope's Powerful Christmas Message

by skeeter1 12 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The Catholics follow the birth control ban, like the JWs follow the blood ban?  But, many JWs don't follow the blood ban, carry double lives, etc.  Talk with doctors, and many JWs get blood, but do it quietly.   The Catholic church permits dissension.   The Society does not.   Followers have to live double lives, or lose their family & friends through shunning.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Against what I thought was the usual trend in this forum to lament a medium sized cult, defending the head of The Holy Roman Catholic Church seems out of sync. But he is indeed The Pope. He has risen to the top of the richest and second largest religious group in the world after Islam. Francis is also a man. He is not infallible, as were all popes up until very recently.

Francis has done nothing yet but talk. I like that he acknowledges Big Bang and Evolutionary theory - or does he? We can't be sure. He said recently that animal souls go to heaven. Then his publicists say he didn't really say that, or that's not what he meant to say. If Francis succeeds in turning the Roman Catholic Church onto its head I will quietly cheer him on. The crumbling down of empire is sometimes aided by the best intentions of its leader. It would be ironic and deeply satisfying if Francis should turn out to be another Gorbachev.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think the pope has actually done things. A speech is just that, but he has been DOING things that are shaking up the church. Excommunicating thugs and criminals. He has set up meetings with abuse survivors and has set up a commission to truly address the issue in the church and demand accountability. That is already a 100% more than the WT has done for the victims.http://www.alternet.org/world/pope-appoints-british-child-sexual-abuse-survivor-church-commission

I don't defend a church. I am commenting on the lesser of the evils and right now, the WT is making the church look relatively good. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit