Love your neighbor as yourself

by lawrence 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scully
    Scully

The WTS plays up the idea of "self sacrifice" - to put our own needs and desires on a lower priority than WTS priorities. That should be a major clue, shouldn't it? The fact that the WTS thinks only of its own agenda, not of the needs of its adherents.

They don't want people to have good jobs. They don't want people to have a good education. They don't care if your roof is leaking or your kids don't have shoes or if you and your wife aren't compatible. Celebrate your birthday? Nope - can't have you thinking that you're worthy of "worship". Hang awards on your wall? Are you kidding? Do you want to stumble someone with your arrogance? Don't think more of yourself than is necessary to think. Let yourself be wronged rather than Bring Reproach On Jehovah™. Love means giving your life on behalf of The Friends™, but don't you dare expect anything from them. All they care about is that you smother yourself and push their agenda.

BUT: Do they really give a crap about their neighbours? On 9/11, weren't they the ones that sealed up the compound in Brooklyn, not even giving water to the people coming over the bridge to escape the destruction in Manhattan? Do they have any WTS sponsored hospitals? Any WTS sponsored soup kitchens? Any WTS sponsored shelters for abused women and children? Do they want us to be part of any of those kinds of community services?

No, they want you to martyr yourself to further their own agenda. They want you to sacrifice your life in their service, fattening up their coffers, allowing them to buy up real estate and build an empire for themselves, while you live a meagre existence in modest surroundings. There is no reciprocity from the WTS for your sacrifice, for the love you measure out to them. They don't practice what they preach and expect of their followers.

• unique1
    unique1

I don't really know any of my neighbors.

• lawrence
    lawrence

unique1-

Isn't it time to get to know your neighbors? Open up and let the love flow! It starts with a smile, a kind word, and grows from there. We were so jaded by these false prophets. We are part of this world; if there is a lack of love, it's because we don't love enough. It starts with me.

Narkissos - yes, taken for granted in the ancient world. But once we have been in and through the J.W. concentration camps, nothing can be taken for granted.

• Justitia Themis
  • hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Loving yourself and loving your neighbour is a big responsibility.

It's not like Sesame Street...well at least the Sesame Street I knew. In your neighbourhood, you may say, you know what, I can't love my neighbour because he or she is so and so. You can tell someone so much to stop doing such and such because whatever they do it hurts you in the process. If everyone would love their neighbours then everything would be better. ...but because of the lack of love. You need to protect yourself. Love yourself by keeping yourself upright.

Most important when we love ourselves, it doesn't matter if our neighbour cares or not because God loves us and that matters more. Who cares if they don't.

God loves us...that is where love came from. We just don't use it like we ought to. It's not a show, it's not for just pleasure, it's not sex....it is a stronger feeling that you cannot really explain. It is deep. Your heart aches or jumps for joy. Just like God...God is love.

You don't have to get in your neighbour's face to show that you can love them. Sometimes things work out in a way we least expect it. Love yourselves and treat others with respect. Do not bother to beg people to love you. One day they will see how wrong they were.

hibiscusfire

• educ8self
    educ8self

Sorry I haven't read all the responses, gotta go in a bit but I think more to the point is how can you love your neighbor as yourself if you don't KNOW yourself. After all how can you even love yourself if you don't know yourself? It doesn't come from works, or following some beliefs. Clearly a deep understanding of human nature is called for, and you can start right here. The little cookie cutter religious rationalizations just goes to show it hasn't gone very deep for people who repeat them. If that phrase is to have any power it would have to prompt you to look inward, people who think you just hear that once and go out and "do it" won't see all the assumptions they are adding to it.

• flipper
    flipper

I just gotta say Lawrence, man you did have self loathing to get 150 hours a month when pioneering. I did it for 3 years in the early 80's and bitched and moaned about having to get 90. But I was kind to myself and my car group because I'd insist we'd stop for a break to have a 44 oz. coke or chocolate shake or to cool down. I put the whips in the trunk. Could never understand people that didn't want to go on break. Just witness to the undedicated kid with you at break time. Lawrence, my wife Mrs. Flipper and I love your posts. Keep creating topics man! Peace out to you, Mr. Flipper

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

How can a Christian love their neighbor as themself, if they don't love themselves? If a Christian hates himself, how can he love his neighbor? If a Christian treats himself poorly, how can he treat his neighbor well?

Very interesting question and as interesting I was just reading this text this morning and it hit me. in Luke 10: 36,37 it says 36 “Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked.

37 The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.”

Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.”

Loving a neighbor means to show mercy, perhaps with an action, a thought or word. Maybe to show proper love to another and a neighbor as your thread says you mush show mercy to yourself FIRST. Not allowing oneself to do and say anything but rather not being so hard on yourself, realizing your own limitations and weakness as God does. Showing mercy to oneself may be the first and proper step before we can show it to others.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit